Cost of diesel per litre in France ?

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
1.069 Euros per litre Champion Supermarket, Fontainebleau 15th July. That was a self serve, push your credit card into the pump set up. Just wish I had filled up before leaving Luxembourg though - 0.94 E there !

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My databank tells me that the average price for diesel in Belgium last week was 1.04_ per litre. Supermarkets may be a few cents less so it's a fraction cheaper than in France.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My databank tells me that the average price for diesel in Belgium last week was 1.04_ per litre. Supermarkets may be a few cents less so it's a fraction cheaper than in France.
ps: The same source quotes 94 cents per litre of petrol and 86 cents for diesel in Estonia. May be worth holidaying there.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
As Lutz says I was paying 1.04 Eu in Belgium - but the pumps there would not accept my card. Other problem I had in Belgium was that there does not seem to be petrol stations on motorways - or at least not the one I was on. ( But that always seems to be the case when you are getting very low on fuel.)

Whereabouts in France and Belgium are you heading for ?

Mike E

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Driving from Zeebruge, going to use motorways to the French Border, then heading south towards Dijon using non toll roads. All on a Sunday, so I was wondering when and where to fill up !

May 10, 2007
Visit site
On country "A" type roads in France you will be on a wing and a prayer Rioja if you expect to buy fuel on a Sunday and in the early evening or after dark.

The pumps take cards 24/7 apart from your British cards! Fill up in major towns or on the motorway.

We saw no fuel station open apart from card pay pumps for over 140 miles last weekend.

Ria

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Definitely fill up on the autoroute before you leave Belgium - and then anywhere you see open along the way. Some supermarkets are open, and it can even be worth unhitching, and filling up if you see a convenient one (we've done that before!). Sunday's are notoriously difficult. This is one of the only drawbacks to cross-country on a Sunday - and can make for a hair-raising journey!

I suggested in a thread elsewhere that anyone who found a car/caravan-accessible petrol station, open on a Sunday (off the autoroutes obviously!) marked it's location on a map, and we could all start a list! We've marked any we've found on our Michelin map (with post-its which we remove and re-mark the page on any new map), but unfortunately not the route you'll be taking from Belgium.

Not sure what you're driving, but we'd certainly reach Dijon on a full tank - and Monday morning, around Dijon, you'll have no problems.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rioja,

If you were going to take the coastal motorway from Zeebrugge towards Calais, then there is an excellent - caravan friendly - angled pump islands with wide bays - Texaco pump station on the motorway just before the French border.

Price around Euro 1.10 for diesel at the Texaco station - I passed it on Friday night coming home - but didn't stop (free Shell fuel card)

Continuing on the motorway between Dunkerque and Calais is a BP fuel station.

But I'm guessing you'll be taking the route past Brugge and down to Kortrijk, then Lille. This part of the route is toll free and there are several motorway fuel stations you can choose from.

Where the A10 from Zeebrugge joins the E40 (just before Brugge), there is an OK motorway fuel station at Jabbekke

Tip: Take a look at the Total web-site www.total.fr and use the search facility to find fuel stations near the major towns on your route. So for instance, a search for Lille shows ten or more stations, and when you click on the station - it shows the opening hours.

Robert

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's information, not just to this thread, but a few others too ! We are driving on Belgium's motorways to a spot just north of Valenciennes. Then heading south to Dijon. We intend hopping on the motorway to by pass Rheims and I think there is a service station on that stretch, but hopefully we will have filled up in Belgium somewhere.

The boat arrives in Belgium early morning...but not too early I hope. Sails from Hull at 7.00pm.

My Passat will cover about 300- 330 miles towing depending on conditions, so theoretically I can get to Dijon if I have a full tank to leave Belgium !

We have also just opened a Nationwide Flex and credit card account. Any idea if their cards work at fuel stations ?

Thanks Rioja

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I have just checked out ViaMichelin and their route maps don't appear to show service stations. Anyone know of how to get them ?

Thanks Rioja

May 10, 2007
Visit site
All UK credit and debit cards will work at tills and cashpoints as far as we are aware.

24 hour fuel services in rural areas and smaller towns is obtained from Automated Pay pumps(only have instructions in French as far as I know as well, unlike cashpoints that have multi language options) like Tesco's have.

But they do not accept UK cards.

Lat weekend we saw fuel stations and signs saying 24 hour service but only via pay pumps that we Brits in general can't use.

Ria

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rioja,

The problem of U.K. issued credit cards not being accepted in France often crops up here yet I have never had any trouble with mine at garages, shops or wherever either with a cashier present or using the self service system. My card is the Caravan Club Visa type.

Insight Travel Maps have petrol stations marked though, of course, they are only up to date to the time the map was printed. Try www.insightguides.com

Enjoy your trip,

Mike E

May 10, 2007
Visit site
I used a routeable Zumo Sat Nav(brilliant for caravanning) Rioja and that comes pre loaded with fuel stations for all areas in Europe and James has loaded more from www.poihandler.com that he first saw mentioned on this forum.

Ria

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The large Michelin map book of France shows service areas on the autoroutes - two types, green (small aire, picnic and toilet stop, but without petrol station) and blue (larger site, with petrol, restaurant, etc). However, the individual sheet maps don't seem to have these shown.

Our card has been accepted at some of the 24hr (unmanned) petrol stations, where you insert your card into the pump (like an ATM) BUT not at many. I think at the newer filling stations you're OK, but not at the others.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Mention Belgium roads to my wife and she will reply must we,after travelling on them umpteen times we find them amongst the worse for vibration making the journey weary. The only good thing is they are almost free of heavy traffic.Anybody else found this so ?.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
The large Michelin map book of France shows service areas on the autoroutes - two types, green (small aire, picnic and toilet stop, but without petrol station) and blue (larger site, with petrol, restaurant, etc). However, the individual sheet maps don't seem to have these shown.

Our card has been accepted at some of the 24hr (unmanned) petrol stations, where you insert your card into the pump (like an ATM) BUT not at many. I think at the newer filling stations you're OK, but not at the others.
I see the Collins Road Atlas France does too.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rioja,

The route you mentioned going via Valenciennes is the route via Kortrijk and Lille - you should have no problems finding multiple fuel stations on that section the motorway network.

Likewise the problem of UK Chip and Pin cards not working in France. This isn't an issue, except at automated fuel payment stations - and becoming less so as the older machines are replaced.

France implemented Chip and Pin years before the UK, and their first system is incompatible with UK cards (and other EU cards) - and these first generation machines are mostly to be found in fuel pumps. As the pumps get updated, the problem slowly disappears.

Elsewhere - no problems.

Robert

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone. All being well, 5 weeks today we should be south of Dijon heading towards the sun. Having said that it's pretty good here today as well !

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
And doesn't it cheer you up when the weather improves!!! It's lovely here, blue sky, cool wind, but seems like paradise compared to the last couple of months!

Have a great holiday!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Rioja - there is a service area on the A 4 (near Reims) just between junction 26 and junction 27. This should solve your problems!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rioja,

I assume you will drive on the N31 (not a motorway) between Zeebrugge and Brugge. There are several fuelstations on this part.

Then follow the motorway A17/E403 to Kortrijk. There is a fuel station between junction 6 and 5.

Once in France you will find fuel stations at approx. every 40 km on the motorways

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts