Could be interesting - BBC1 Thursday 25th

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
Might be worth recording "Don't get done get Dom" 11am next Thursday 25th April on BBC1,
" Dom comes to the aid of a couple whose caravan is suffering from damp problems. A succession of visits to the dealer has failed to fix the problem, so Dom takes their case to the manufacturer instead. But can he get them the result they are after?"

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Bezzer said:
Might be worth recording "Don't get done get Dom" 11am next Thursday 25th April on BBC1,
" Dom comes to the aid of a couple whose caravan is suffering from damp problems. A succession of visits to the dealer has failed to fix the problem, so Dom takes their case to the manufacturer instead. But can he get them the result they are after?"

If he didn't they wouldn't show it, he has not failed yet.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A penny to a pound he invoked the manufacturers water ingress guarantee. It was just waiting to be claimed?
We shall see.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Raywood said:
Bezzer said:

If he didn't they wouldn't show it, he has not failed yet.
Beg to differ as he failed when dealing with TALKTALK and that does not surprise me lol

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
A penny to a pound he invoked the manufacturers water ingress guarantee. It was just waiting to be claimed?
We shall see.
The situation was complicated by the fact that the caravan was supplied by a Swift approved dealer who ceased trading. This dealership repaired the caravan which was bought from new in 2008 but the damp problem remained, and mushroom like fungus was growing in it.
smiley-surprised.gif

Swift had agreed to inspect the caravan but the time scale given to the unfortunate owners was five months!
This prompted the owners to contact the BBC's Dominic Littlewood who agreed to act on this couples behalf. Not surprisingly, after an independent caravan engineer carried out an inspection and found extensive water ingress problems Dom went straight to the top and Swift inspected the caravan themselves and stated that their dealer had use the wrong parts and the wrong sealant when they originally repaired the caravan.
The matter was settled to the owners satisfaction with an upgrade supplied by Swift on undisclosed terms favourable to the couple who owned the caravan.
It's a shame that this matter dragged on for so long. and although the approved dealership were at fault for a botched repair and Swift have come out of this looking like generous benefactors surely they ( and every other caravan manufacturer) should take steps to ensure that new caravans leaving their factory should not need repairs so soon after manufacture.

The TV programme is available on iPlayer

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
It makes you wonder how many other dealers use inferior parts when doing a warranty repair? A dealer could claim parts under warranty from the manufacturer and then substitute the parts for inferior ones and selling the genuine parts in their accessory shop at a higher price or keeping them for a cash repair.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agree with Surfer if a Swift approved dealer cannot do it correctly you're somewhat stuffed regarding all work carried out on the van.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I too saw Big Dom in action last night and can only echo Parksy and The Prof's comments.
What didn't quite come over loud and clear is the Contractual position between the customer and Swift on the Water Ingress Guarantee.
As soon as the Dealer commenced the "WIG" repairs he was imo doing so as a direct Agent of Swift under the terms of Business agreed between the Dealer and Swift.

I suggest it is without doubt Swift's responsibility to ensure any Dealer effecting WIG repairs on their behalf does so in a professional manner as if Swift themselves were doing it. This is of course over and above any responsibilities the Dealer has under SOGA and indeed the Credit Card Company, if applicable , under the Consumer Credit Act.

Swift and other Manufacturers cannot hide behind the skirts of their Dealers for something they have Contractually invited the purchaser to join ie The "WIG".

Well done to the couple in Formby and good job they fully complied with the terms of the WIG .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reply revised inparts for clarity:-
I have just watched the Don't get done Get Dom concerning the family from Formby, who'es 2008 Swift Ace Jubilee caravan has had major water ingress problems.

I am delighted the family have been able to get their caravan replaced even upgraded with a balancing payment. They can hopefully move on and get the holidays and relaxation they deserve.

However the case does raise some very worrying issues which should not be overlooked.

Call me cynical but I strongly suspect that Swifts accedence in this case was almost certainly due to the high profile intervention of Dominic Littlewood. Other customers with similar situations have not been so successful.

A Trading Standards officer confirmed a consumers rights lie with the supplying dealer, but his input was not relevant to this families situation as the supplying trader had ceased trading.

In Swifts final statement they expressly deny any liability for the events that have beset this caravan, and in the body of the program, several times it was stated that Swift claim the original dealer had used the wrong parts for earlier repairs!

Just hang on a minute - Parksy is absolutely right If Swift had made the caravan right in the first instance, none of the repairs would have been necessary, so they were in fact the architects of their own demise.

I also take exception to Swifts assertion that the repairing dealer had used substandard parts. Surely as the dealer was acting on behalf of Swifts ingress warranty, they were under Switfs contract control, so any failure of the repair is Swifts responsibly, and SoGA should restart for the repair work. What evidence of incorrect parts was there? The independent expert made no mention of wrong materials.

Its interesting that when the manufacturer is faced with the reality of having their lack of quality control put on clear high profile public display they feel the need to 'help' Whilst I am delighted for the family, my thoughts are with those hundreds of other caravanners where manufacturers have turned their backs.

I do believe that this program has brought to the public's attention of the grossly unfair system that allows Manufactures to have total disregard for the quality of their products and the distress that their failures cause their ultimate customers. Whilst dealers may have the legal obligation to the customer, there is a clear lack of moral consideration by the manufactures.

I think its time that SoGA should be toughened up. All too often we read of customers being supplied with goods that clearly have not been manufactured correctly as in this case. The Dealer is of course liable under SoGA because they have supplied faulty goods, but realistically the dealer is unlikley to have been able to identify such faults when the caravan was delivered to them. To all intents and purposes the product would look satisfactory. So whilst the dealer is legally culpable, they were not to blame in the first instance.

SoGA is about ensuring customers receive a fair deal when products or services go wrong. I belive there is a case to have SoGA ammended such that if a customer has claim under SoGA upheld, then the same judgement should be reflected back down the supply chain to the point where cause for the failure arose. Manufacturers must start to take full responsibility for their own failures.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
From my understanding from warranty is they process the claim then the parts are sent out, not sure how they can use inferior parts when i gather it was sealant?
Easy to blame a company thats gone out of business?
I know in my group of friends Swift have replaced vans with a price to change.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts