Could leakproof caravans be around the corner?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With the very rapid progress in 3D printing the University of Maine have " 3D printed" a sizeable boat. As costs come down and printing speed/size increases could the next generation of caravaners look forward to caravans that have 100% body watertight integrity, albeit with windows and skylights bonded in that are hopefully watertight. A quick gain could be to turn the U of Maine boat upside down and put wheels on the other face and you have a mobile camping pod, or just print a roof canopy and think your in a Typhoon jet cockpit :whistle:

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/10/10/umaine-launches-largest-3d-printer/
https://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Youre-Gonna-Need-a-Bigger-Boat-UMaine-Has-Printer-for-That-562749431.html

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You can get caravans like the Barefoot with a one piece body using fibre glass and the design might well be the way forward but it is not as cheap as conventional construction. The material does however need to be easily repaired in the event of an accident.
Windows and doors an the like might still be a problem as well.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Raywood said:
You can get caravans like the Barefoot with a one piece body using fibre glass and the design might well be the way forward but it is not as cheap as conventional construction. The material does however need to be easily repaired in the event of an accident.
Windows and doors an the like might still be a problem as well.

I thought of the Barefoot too... also aren't "regular" caravans built inside out? Interior structures and fittings are added to the chassis and floor, then wrapped in the walls and roof.

Edit: a 3D printed shell could then be dropped over the top... so not completely reinvesting the wheel.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the barefoot is built and the shell put over it. There have been similar bodies in the past but the idea died out many years back.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I often think about this one; given that most manufacturers now seem to glue rather than use screws and timber, why can't the top panel be made aka a car roof, sides the same. Top has built in lip that folds over the outer-best but inner would avoid unsightly external weld, of the side panel and this is then tig welded-then insulation etc added inside-I suppose it would be prohibitively expensive? is this too simple?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravans tend to use thin aluminium or composite materials that cannot be readily welded.

Welding is a skilled job, and as things presently stand I doubt the industry would even consider employing skilled work people except where compliance with gas or electrics are concerned.

But it would be interesting if one of the eastern companies decided to look at manufacturing caravans, I'm sure they'd start quite a revolution in construction techniques.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts