Courier question?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We ordered wind deflectors consisting of 4 parts from a retailer and according to the website the delivery was to be made by Tuffnells Freight and we were invoiced for that courier. The cost for delivery was in excess of £10 incl VAT. We got the standard email thanking us for our custom.
About an hour later another email arrives stating;
Be Careful! - IMPORTANT - YOU HAVE 10-MINUTES TO CHECK THE ITEM HAS NOT BEEN DAMAGED IN TRANSIT.
Are the goods damaged? It is imperative that goods are checked for damage before signing for the delivery. Take special care when accepting plastics, heavy and bulky goods, painted or glass items. You are allowed 10-MINUTES to inspect the goods BEFORE signing the drivers note. If there is damage to the item REFUSE the delivery or sign "Damaged". This is most important. If there is damage or suspected damage to the item REFUSE the delivery or sign "DAMAGED". This is most important. Do not write "unchecked" as this waives our right to submit a claim with the transport company for damage to your goods. If you are suspicious there may be damage and want additional time to check the item write the word "DAMAGED" in the signature box.
If you have signed for an item as damaged, you must inform your contact with us of the situation within 48 hours of signing for the damaged goods.

I have never been advised to check the parcel before the courier leaves the premises. Is this correct? What if you are not in and it is left in a safe place or the courier does not have the time stand around for 10 minutes as they are under a lot of pressure?
The next day I got an email from Parcelforce stating that they will be delivering the parcel although we paid for Tuffnells Freight to deliver and probably paid extra! I normally, where possible avoid companies that use Parcelforce however we can only hope that they find our address and deliver the goods undamaged.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Their statement says “….. the transport company”. So clearly they may not always use their own transport. I would find it quite hard to believe that Parcelforce couldn’t find your address.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the drivers are under massive pressure, but they cannot enforce 10 minutes can they? I would suggest if the box is undamaged, there is a fair chance the interior is OK, but if the box looks battered, either open or check it or of course....refuse it.

If I get a box that looks as if has had a hiding, I always take pictures of the outer box, and sign unchecked. perhaps the companies dont like you doing this, but we arent here to keep them happy.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Frankly the idea of taking ten minutes to check is ridiculous and is unenforceable, and probably an attempt to fob you off if things go wrong. The contract is for safe delivery and with the current covid problems you do not sign for it. The driver is more likely to drop it on your doorstep and zoom off once you answer the door and I doubt any will wait ten minutes, as if they did the days schedule would be out the window,.
Not sure what you have against Parcelforce as they are one of the better carriers, and I would prefer them to many others who just regard service as a word rather than a duty.
I do now that many firms use Royal Mail which Parcelforce are part of to manage deliveries the find out of range, or to take excess business that they cannot handle, which would account for he delivery by a different carrier.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Their statement says “….. the transport company”. So clearly they may not always use their own transport. I would find it quite hard to believe that Parcelforce couldn’t find your address.
Twice in the past actually delivered to the wrong address. Recently delivery simply did not happen for nearly 3 weeks. There is an adjoining road with the same name except it has "Estate" tagged on the end.
Not overly bothered except for the 10 minute grace period. Package may look okay on outside items inside could be damaged perhaps even before they are shipped.
Unfortunately we will not know until sometime next week if they deliver.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When our special delivery arrived with DPD we had a 1hr slot he knock on the door and said can you show me your ID did that and said check the box that was ok . (y)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have never been advised to check the parcel before the courier leaves the premises. Is this correct?
When I was receiving goods for a company I worked for I signed the documents " Goods not inspected." and that paid off on several occasions. However that was in the days of paper work. These days you are not even allowed to touch the recorder the driver uses.

It has almost always been the case that most deliveries are made and the goods are not inspected at the point of delivery, This is another of the T&C's that could be challenged as being unfair. This is a a situation that has been emphasised during the pandemic, when all the home deliveries I have had have not required me to sign, the driver has asked my name and marked the handheld scanner.

I could deny having received any of them, as I have not signed for them!

You could try insisting the driver waits for you to check the goods before you agree to accept them. If the driver refuses then the liability is on the delivery company. I suggest you get a front door recording cam to keep a record of the drivers response.

It all comes back to contracts. unless you have arranged to courier personally you have no rights, as you did not contract them. If you have a problem with a delivery that has been arranged by a seller , it is the sellers responsibility as they contracted the courier.

Most couriers will listen to complaints from the addressee but they are not obliged to act on them, as they have no contract with you.

In many couriers contracts they will limit liability and will permit themselves to complete the service by what ever means are necessary, even transferring to other carriers and importing their T&C's regards delivery times and liabilities.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The problem is that if you open the package to inspect the goods and you then find them in an unsatisfactory condition, where does that leave you? You cna hardly expect the driver to hang around while you wrap up the package again etc.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that you are raising fears unnecessarily. We have been having parcel deliveries since well before the internet was invented. My approach has always been to inspect the package exterior for signs of damage. If there is any then to note it on the delivery persons paperwork. These days you don’t get chance to to touch the paperwork so a comment would be made together with a photo of the exterior.

We then open the goods shortly after receipt and check them for damage or omissions. At present our house and daughters house are full of appliances awaiting installation. All have been checked out. The only items not checked by us are the kitchen units and worktops. They were checked externally by the installer and he’s got 90 days for any internal damage or omission.
As Prof has said your rights don’t end when the courier arrives.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This was an attachment to the email. Not sure if it is fair or not? Just hope that there are no issues or damage to parcel.

orangedamagegoods2.jpg

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When my courier came he just said checked the condition of the parcel mine was great saying it come a long way i was very happy ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This was an attachment to the email. Not sure if it is fair or not? Just hope that there are no issues or damage to parcel.

orangedamagegoods2.jpg
All you can reasonably sign for is that the package is in “ good condition”. I wouldn’t get too worked up about it. Take it as it comes.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All you can reasonably sign for is that the package is in “ good condition”. I wouldn’t get too worked up about it. Take it as it comes.
Not really worked up about it. Just wondering why they try and impose so many restrictions as I have never come across it with any other supplier.

Just to add I checked the Parcelforce website. Package collect on 02/06/2021. Same day to Hub. Sorted at Hub an d sent to receiving depot in Cambridge however incorrect depot as we liv ein Worcestershire. It now goes back to hub for sorting again. Now you know why I try and avoid using Parcelforce. It was supposed to be a 48 hour delivery!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not really worked up about it. Just wondering why they try and impose so many restrictions as I have never come across it with any other supplier.

Just to add I checked the Parcelforce website. Package collect on 02/06/2021. Same day to Hub. Sorted at Hub an d sent to receiving depot in Cambridge however incorrect depot as we liv ein Worcestershire. It now goes back to hub for sorting again. Now you know why I try and avoid using Parcelforce. It was supposed to be a 48 hour delivery!
That’s not good the seller ought to be emailed by you as they charged you for 48 hr delivery. Although the delivery records should show them a delay. 48 hours begins when courier collects. Think I will continue picking my own lottery numbers 🤭

• Haha
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

orangedamagegoods2.jpg
If the driver does not give you the opportunity to examine the goods or to add a comment to the consignment note then this warning has no effect what so ever.

The reference to "Unchecked will not do" also has no effect as they have not explained why it will not do if the goods have not been checked.

In many cases the goods condition may not be established until they have been installed, so will the driver wait that long?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Of course it’s all absolute rot as we all know. The CRA 2015 is the only Statutory Instrument that sets the scene. All the other comments on here emanating from the Couriers isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. I’ll check my deliveries as and when I am ready ! But in the knowledge I am following the CRA protocols

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course it’s all absolute rot as we all know. The CRA 2015 is the only Statutory Instrument that sets the scene. All the other comments on here emanating from the Couriers isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. I’ll check my deliveries as and when I am ready ! But in the knowledge I am following the CRA protocols
If you do not have a contract with the courier you cannot use CRA with them. You can only use CRA with the party to which you have a contract.

In most cases the courier is technically a sub contractor to the seller not to addressee.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you do not have a contract with the courier you cannot use CRA with them. You can only use CRA with the party to which you have a contract.

In most cases the courier is technically a sub contractor to the seller not to addressee.
But the person from whom you bought the goods appointed the courier so they are vicariously legally liable no matter.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
:unsure: Oh dear. It now seems I may never get the 10 minute grace as the parcel has now gone missing and they are unable to locate the package according to the supplier. Last update on Parcelforce website was 4th June and no updates since. I think I now need to request a refund.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
:unsure: Oh dear. It now seems I may never get the 10 minute grace as the parcel has now gone missing and they are unable to locate the package according to the supplier. Last update on Parcelforce website was 4th June and no updates since. I think I now need to request a refund.
Meanwhile I will continue to pick my own lottery numbers!!!

• Haha
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The only proof some firms have of delivery is a photo they take once you answer the door, those that do not do this have no proof and cannot defend any action for none delivery or damaged goods as they have no evidence to that effect. Your contract though is with the consignee and you have to argue with them, but they can have the upper hand as the couriers depend on them and have little they can effectively do if the consignee is a major client and just deducts the costs from what they owe.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Goods got delivered yesterday. The delivery person had an instruction to wait while we inspected the goods which meant removing them from the packaging and checking each item. No damage despite it travelling all round the UK.
Felt sorry for delivery person because if he did this for every customer, he would still be delivering goods at 12am.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts