Covid outbreak associated with G7

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reports indicated that it was found in a policeman drafted in to the area. Then some others were found. Isolation has been on a Baltic cruise ferry moored nearby which is being used as an accommodation base. I don’t think that it will do any additional damage to the hospitality trade especially as they are potentially facing another four weeks of restrictions. The many tourists visiting Cornwall May have many potential carriers if they haven’t been fully vaccinated.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I wish somebody would explain to me why G7 has to be in a place like Cornwall. Its more of a jolly for those attending. There are many places in Britain that could host this and are all easier to protect and organize. As the locals have been saying, they have lost so much in tourism during lockdown, and now when things are begiining to open, there are police, troops, warships and miles of security fencing, blocking roads and disrupting peoples lives.

For me, I would put them in a London hotel and host G7 at Westminster. All the infrastructure for this is already there.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wish somebody would explain to me why G7 has to be in a place like Cornwall. Its more of a jolly for those attending. There are many places in Britain that could host this and are all easier to protect and organize. As the locals have been saying, they have lost so much in tourism during lockdown, and now when things are begiining to open, there are police, troops, warships and miles of security fencing, blocking roads and disrupting peoples lives.

For me, I would put them in a London hotel and host G7 at Westminster. All the infrastructure for this is already there.
The beach BBQ looked real hoot. Smoke everywhere and all in suits. I guess it would not have looked good if they had all been casual when few if any can plan a holiday abroad. Not at all like the Banyan BBQs I remember.

Reactions: Thingy and Parksy

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
In today's Covid stricken world, they should not be having the meeting at all. They are doing far more damage than they will ever avoid or repair. Pure hypocracy.

Reactions: Thingy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In today's Covid stricken world, they should not be having the meeting at all. They are doing far more damage than they will ever avoid or repair. Pure hypocracy.

I would assume that all main players have been jabbed so are well protected, support staff have been tested regularly., and depending on age they will have been jabbed too. What damage do you think they are doing.? Probably a lot less than the Euros etc.

I do agree though that another venue might have been more appropriate such as the Celtic Manor Resort that hosted a NATO summit a few years back, or Gleneagles but perhaps Nicola would have veto'd it.

I think it is good that leaders of major democracies can get together and talk face to face and one to one. It may help to undo the damage of the preceding years and pandemic.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It would have been nice to see different leaders making points about their travel and trying to be a bit greener to set examples. I did notice that Dr Biden seemed to make use of a Range Rover motorcade and I did not see an armoured Lincon like Trump liked flying around the world. Nice to see that at least the Queen used the train.

Word has it, (but that might be a load of spin mind), that Cornwall will benefit by £50 million in future tourism on the back of this. Plus £65 million in regeneration grants.

John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what it will give to boost future tourism. Nothing been built specially, nothing left behind. Nothing to mark its passing. What is the cost of all this. The money could be better spent on post covid recovery.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suspect that regardless of where they hold a G7 meeting, the security services will disrupt the locality just as much.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not sure what it will give to boost future tourism. Nothing been built specially, nothing left behind. Nothing to mark its passing. What is the cost of all this. The money could be better spent on post covid recovery.

It‘s one of those things that is impossible to judge, a bit like how much does the royal family bring into the country. But Cornwall does benefit from German tourism the back of one of their soaps. Same sort of thing.

The beautiful weather and the back drop of Carbis bay help no end.

John

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Taken from Twitter, the main elements of the naval protection for our glorious leaders alongside in Falmouth
View attachment 1709
Looks like an USMC Tarawa class amphibious carrier (LHD), Arleigh Burke Destroyer, a US nuclear submarine ( hydroplanes on fin). Not certain of other two but not UK. The LHD has a top class emergency medical treatment facility if required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looks like an USMC Tarawa class amphibious carrier (LHD), Arleigh Burke Destroyer, a US nuclear submarine ( hydroplanes on fin). Not certain of other two but not UK. The LHD has a top class emergency medical treatment facility if required.
Don't you mean LHA? Landing Helicopter Assault? I did not know but looked up Tarawa class amphibious carrier. The Arleigh Burke Destroyer was built in Bath. I always thought the nuclear sub was a lot bigger, but then probably watching too many movies. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't you mean LHA? Landing Helicopter Assault? I did not know but looked up Tarawa class amphibious carrier. The Arleigh Burke Destroyer was built in Bath. I always thought the nuclear sub was a lot bigger, but then probably watching too many movies. LOL! :ROFLMAO:
Thank you, my involvement had been with the other class of USMC ships the WASP LHDs and incorrectly assumed the Tarawa class were LHD too. Arleigh Burke’s are built at Bath Iron Works in Maine. I visited there when I was on course at MIT. Quite an impressive ship. The sub is an attack SSN probably Los Angeles class.

PS edit the helicopter carrier will be a WASP as Tarawa went out of service in 2015. 15 years after I retired …. time rushes on eh?

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy and Buckman

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
This type of international "bun fight" creates a massive movement of people using air travel, ships, helicopters private jets. There are thousands of people involved. These "Very Important People" meet to postulate, and show their countries flag. The cost must be huge, both in money and environmental. Ironically, they usually discuss money and the environment! The outcome of such vast waste is nothing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This type of international "bun fight" creates a massive movement of people using air travel, ships, helicopters private jets. There are thousands of people involved. These "Very Important People" meet to postulate, and show their countries flag. The cost must be huge, both in money and environmental. Ironically, they usually discuss money and the environment! The outcome of such vast waste is nothing.
I subscribe to the view that these periodic face to face meetings aid understanding between national leaders and their teams. Some issues discussed will have received agreement others will reveal differences that hopefully can be worked on, or at least they are highlighted. The last large U.K. hosted one was a NATO summit held in Wales some years back. The armed forces input is pretty well paid for whatever they do whether in port/barracks or exercising. Almost a fixed cost.
If it helps on the pandemic, climate change and global recovery it will have been of use, plus the rejoining of the US to the international community. Look where lack of understanding and will caused problems in 1914 and 1939.

Reactions: Jcloughie and PTA

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site

I'm not convinced that nothing is achieved. Biden's reaffirmation of the NATO alliance after Trump's wholly ignorant trashing seems a very good thing at a time of continuing Russian aggression and expansionism. Europe and the US also need to be coordinated in their response to an increasingly dangerous China. All very important, quite apart from the environmental agreements.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, my involvement had been with the other class of USMC ships the WASP LHDs and incorrectly assumed the Tarawa class were LHD too. Arleigh Burke’s are built at Bath Iron Works in Maine. I visited there when I was on course at MIT. Quite an impressive ship. The sub is an attack SSN probably Los Angeles class.

PS edit the helicopter carrier will be a WASP as Tarawa went out of service in 2015. 15 years after I retired …. time rushes on eh?
Thanks as your posts were most interesting.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm not convinced that nothing is achieved. Biden's reaffirmation of the NATO alliance after Trump's wholly ignorant trashing seems a very good thing at a time of continuing Russian aggression and expansionism. Europe and the US also need to be coordinated in their response to an increasingly dangerous China. All very important, quite apart from the environmental agreements.
However although I disagreed with the way he went about doing things, he was correct on a some counts i.e.NATO and some countries not contributing their fair share to the coffers. However Trump and his antics is a whole new ball game and politics are banned on this forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts