Crack in panel!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our caravan is currently at the dealer for a damp issue of 40% internally around the off side battery box. We had an email dated 9th March from Elddis stating that the warranty work has been approved and that parts have been ordered. However apparently they inspected the caravan last week and have now backtracked and changed their minds and now state that due to a crack in the panel, it is not covered by warranty despite the 10 year water ingress warranty.

Sadly this means that under CRA 2015 the dealer will need to pick up the tab. We are seeing the dealer tomorrow to discuss the issue. Hopefully this is not going to be a long drawn out fight again to get the issue resolved as Elddis have rejected other similar claims according to the Buccaneer group on FB and some dealers have had the customer pay for the repair.
🤬

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our caravan is currently at the dealer for a damp issue of 40% internally around the off side battery box. We had an email dated 9th March from Elddis stating that the warranty work has been approved and that parts have been ordered. However apparently they inspected the caravan last week and have now backtracked and changed their minds and now state that due to a crack in the panel, it is not covered by warranty despite the 10 year water ingress warranty.

Sadly this means that under CRA 2015 the dealer will need to pick up the tab. We are seeing the dealer tomorrow to discuss the issue. Hopefully this is not going to be a long drawn out fight again to get the issue resolved as Elddis have rejected other similar claims according to the Buccaneer group on FB and some dealers have had the customer pay for the repair.
🤬
What panel is cracked. I had a rear panel replaced by Swift in year five. I suspect Eldiss are feeling the financial squeeze and trying to off load responsibility to the dealer or customer. Dealerships won’t be happy if Eldiss try and off load onto them. They could drop Eldiss

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What panel is cracked. I had a rear panel replaced by Swift in year five. I suspect Eldiss are feeling the financial squeeze and trying to off load responsibility to the dealer or customer. Dealerships won’t be happy if Eldiss try and off load onto them. They could drop Eldiss
At the money I do not know and will discuss it with dealer tomorrow. The AWS technicain who serviced the caravan in Oct never picked up any cracks He went over the caravan with a find tooth comb. In some aspects he is overly fussy which is good although annoying at times as you have to remoe all the loose furnishings like seats when dropping off the caravan!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Eldiss are at it again. Despicable, they should stand by their products. You have to pursue the dealer who will then claim off Eldiss. They are just hoping you will give up and that is not good enough. Quite simply if Eldiss do not stand by their dealers they will have none, so they have no real choice.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Eldiss are at it again. Despicable, they should stand by their products. You have to pursue the dealer who will then claim off Eldiss. They are just hoping you will give up and that is not good enough. Quite simply if Eldiss do not stand by their dealers they will have none, so they have no real choice.
I will probably be able to post an update on Wednesday after speaking with the dealer. Not sure why they agreed to the warranty claim in writing and then cancelled it?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ian, this is the sort of customer care that makes me see red🤬
I took this from Elddis latest site:-
Ten Year Water Ingress and Body Integrity Warranty

Elddis, Compass, Xplore and Buccaneer products are covered against water ingress damage for 10 years from the original date of purchase of a new product. This applies to water ingress through any permanently sealed seam joints.

In order to comply with the terms of the above cover the following conditions must be met:

Are they seriously interpreting this to mean a sealed seam must fail not a cracked panel.🤔🤔. I hope your dealer and CRA 2015 sort this. It really doesn’t inspire confidence does it🙀

Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I t
Ian, this is the sort of customer care that makes me see red🤬
I took this from Elddis latest site:-
Ten Year Water Ingress and Body Integrity Warranty

Elddis, Compass, Xplore and Buccaneer products are covered against water ingress damage for 10 years from the original date of purchase of a new product. This applies to water ingress through any permanently sealed seam joints.

In order to comply with the terms of the above cover the following conditions must be met:

Are they seriously interpreting this to mean a sealed seam must fail not a cracked panel.🤔🤔. I hope your dealer and CRA 2015 sort this. It really doesn’t inspire confidence does it🙀
I think the original wording was a fair bit looser than that and cracked panels were found to count, not sure when it changed. It would be the wording at the time of purchase that counted which is why I suggested checking it.

Reactions: Notmyvan
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have been to the dealers and Elddis have authorised all the repairs except the crack in a roof panel. Unfortunately I cannot see it, but think it is at the top of the front panel which is in two halves. Dealer is sending photos.
However dealer is still waiting for parts to do the other repairs so in the meantime we brought the caravan home to use until the spares are available. In the meantime the dealer is sending the photos and a quote for repair of the crack and a quote for the panel replacement. It is then up to us to decide.
Either way I don't think we will be paying either costs.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately Clive, the consumer law does not control the manufacturer's warranty arrangements, so it falls on the selling dealer.
I know that, but having a warranty acceptance in writing could be useful in discussion with the dealer, and especially so in supporting the case if it goes to the SCC. It may not be totally valueless. But of course the overarching aspect are the exact warrantyT&Cs issued when the caravan was purchased. Otherwise it's CRA 2015 and the dealer gets it in the neck because of Eldiss poor quality.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately Clive, the consumer law does not control the manufacturer's warranty arrangements, so it falls on the selling dealer.
The dealer is aware of this as they have had Elddis caravans crack in almost the same area. Previously the work was authorised, but Elddis have clamped down and are now very stingy with what they approve under warranty.
Once I get the report, the photos and the quotes I can escalate it and pursue it further.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The consumer law makes the retailer responsible for dealing with faults in the product. If the dealer has admitted to others having had the same problem then this might be evidence of a manufacturing fault. Even at seven years old it might work although the threat of proceedings under this might just get you a contribution. which would possibly be a good result.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ian, what exactly does your contract say on water ingress. Includes or excludes the panels? Just curious.I suspect the change of Ownership to Erwin Hymer and then ultimately Thor Industries Inc USA May possibly have affected their “attitude” to Warranty claims. I see from their accounts this last year they are holding £3.8 million in reserve against future warranty claims. I doubt yours will be that much🤪😉😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The caravan is just over 4 years old and the crack was not picked up at the service in Oct 2021. the AWS technician that I used is very thorough. Since the service we have only used the caravan once.
There is no doubt in my mind that it is an manufacturing fault due to construction of the panel.
The brochure clearly states 10 year warranty Warranty1.jpg

but Owner's manual states which seems to conflict as I would assume that body integrity relates to panels;
Warranty2.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thank you, I m confident a cracked panel per se is not excluded from the overall guarantee and is Elddis liability. The water ingress warranty to me is something in addition to the general guarantee. Anyway if Elddis balk the good old dealer will still be in the direct firing line. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, I m confident a cracked panel per se is not excluded from the overall guarantee and is Elddis liability. The water ingress warranty to me is something in addition to the general guarantee. Anyway if Elddis balk the hood old dealer will still be in the direct firing line. Good luck and let us know how it goes
It is a real shame that the dealer will have to bear the cost as they have been very helpful even though I had a huge blow up in 2020 with the previous service manager for over charging.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is a real shame that the dealer will have to bear the cost as they have been very helpful even though I had a huge blow up in 2020 with the previous service manager for over charging.
The Eldiss page is puzzling. If bodywork integrity doesn’t include a cracked panel what else is excluded? As long as the panel wasn’t cracked through misuse or road debris it’s a lack of integrity. The fact that others have suffered similar problems does seem to indicate a design, manufacture or installation defect.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Eldiss page is puzzling. If bodywork integrity doesn’t include a cracked panel what else is excluded? As long as the panel wasn’t cracked through misuse or road debris it’s a lack of integrity. The fact that others have suffered similar problems does seem to indicate a design, manufacture or installation defect.
The crack in on the front roof panel so doubt if it can misuse or road debris. I agree regarding design, manufacture etc.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive , I read it differently. There is the general warranty come guarantee. And then we have the water ingress warranty where they restrict the ingress to a seam. A cracked panel goes beyond water ingress and is probably an inherent defect caused by a manufacturing problem , stress, at inception of the caravan, ie been there from day one, waiting to fail. So that imo has nothing to do with the water ingress section.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Clive , I read it differently. There is the general warranty come guarantee. And then we have the water ingress warranty where they restrict the ingress to a seam. A cracked panel goes beyond water ingress and is probably an inherent defect caused by a manufacturing problem , stress, at inception of the caravan, ie been there from day one, waiting to fail. So that imo has nothing to do with the water ingress section.
The intriguing phrase is "body integrity" as one assumes that it refers to panels as surely faulty panels compromise body integrity and lead to water ingress?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s right I would see that as body integrity issues.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. Buckman’s problem goes way beyond the Water Ingress Warrenty!
Apologies I did not spot the half obscured top line in page 2 in capitals. But even do with precedents and the age of the caravan I would expect the dealer to pressure Eldiss. If no success regrettably it may fall to the (soon to be ex) Eldiss dealership to bear the cost in such a young caravan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
IMO this is an inherent latent defect present at inception. This matters a lot because even with CRA there are time scales to consider. And yes all on the poor Dealers shoulders😥

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts