CRIS registration on used caravan

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Some of the storage locations I have been looking at seem to want a CRIS registration certificate... I understand that you have to send it off in the post much like a V5 for a car. What do I produce to a caravan storage company in the meantime, do you get a "supplement" to use temporarily?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Chris,

Unlike cars where it is a legal requirement for the car V5 to be registered with the keeper, there is no similar requirement for caravans. The CRIS scheme is a voluntary scheme, and it is useful, but its not a legal requirement.

The vast majority of storage companies are independent businesses, and becasue there is no standardisation of store terms and conditions that they have to follow, each company will have their own sets of T&C's and policies that dictate how they operate. I can only suggest you discuss the situation with the storage company, as only they can decide if you can use the site or not.

I can only assume the storage company may have had some problems where the ownership of a caravan has been in doubt, so they now ask for the CRIS document.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have never had a request for a CRIS document at any of the storage locations that we have used as it is not a legal requirement to have one and not a necessity to have one, but it helps.
Have you arranged insurance on the caravan although again not a legal requirement, but very handy to have in case you need to claim?
Also breakdown cover for car and caravan is very handy. Both clubs offer breakdown service. If you breakdown they do onward travel etc. We are with Mayday through CAMC and pay £129 annually for top level cover for 2 cars. It is worth considering.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some of the storage locations I have been looking at seem to want a CRIS registration certificate... I understand that you have to send it off in the post much like a V5 for a car. What do I produce to a caravan storage company in the meantime, do you get a "supplement" to use temporarily?
Obtaining CRIS registration is normally a quick and simple process. The key action is to make sure the previous owner has deregistered it if it was registered by them. Talk to the site owners whilst the process is underway as your will not be a unique case. Also if the van has Alko wheel lock has that been registered with Alko as you won’t get replacement keys if it hasn’t. If the previous owner registered the lock they have to deregister it.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have removed several posts as they were not relevant to the original question and had sidetracked that question.
I am sure that the OP , if he has a question about another item he would ask for information on that item.

Sidetracking ,or "Thread Drift" is annoying , has no relevance to the original question and is against Forum Rules.

As such , any posts which do not relate to the original question will be removed.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I've found a storage site which I am going to look at this Saturday; they aren't interested in CRIS registration, but want it to be insured. I had a quote from RAC, whom I currently have car breakdown cover with, which includes membership of the Camping and Caravan Club. I will also make sure to get insurance, especially with being a novice tower, Had a few quotes on this stuff to get a feel for costs. I'll put it all into place once I know for certain where I'm storing it and when I'm picking it up. It's all very exciting but nerve-racking at the same time!

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I've found a storage site which I am going to look at this Saturday; they aren't interested in CRIS registration, but want it to be insured. I had a quote from RAC, whom I currently have car breakdown cover with, which includes membership of the Camping and Caravan Club. I will also make sure to get insurance, especially with being a novice tower, Had a few quotes on this stuff to get a feel for costs. I'll put it all into place once I know for certain where I'm storing it and when I'm picking it up. It's all very exciting but nerve-racking at the same time!
I doubt if RAC would offer low cost insurance especially to a first time buyer. people have suggested Ripe Insurance or Myinsurance. I am not connected to either as we have Caravan Cover and Mayday breakdown through the Caravan Club.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would insure it anyway. The cost is low but if in storage you cause a fire, you could end up with a claim against you for even hundreds of thousands if nothing else. The risk of that is low but for what insurance costs I would not risk it. There are a lot more potential problems where you can get a claim against you which you should consider. This is probably why the site wants you insured though as if you are not a claim could come back to them.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Sorry, I've got my wires crossed here. Going to do breakdown cover via the RAC, will be getting insurance for the van it's self through another company. I've found some reasonable quotes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I've got my wires crossed here. Going to do breakdown cover via the RAC, will be getting insurance for the van it's self through another company. I've found some reasonable quotes.
I would check cost and benefits of Mayday against RAC Arrival as most find RAC quite expensive. You need breakdown cover that covers car and caravan. Ordinary breakdown cover may not cover a caravan if it breaksdown or if you have a car problem when towing. Standard RAC isn’t adequate you would need RAC CCC Arrival.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I would check cost and benefits of Mayday against RAC Arrival as most find RAC quite expensive. You need breakdown cover that covers car and caravan. Ordinary breakdown cover may not cover a caravan if it breaksdown or if you have a car problem when towing. Standard RAC isn’t adequate you would need RAC CCC Arrival.

Yes, it was RAC Arrival I was quoted for. I'll take a look at Mayday with separate CCC membership against the cost of Arrival.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Hmm, I see Mayday is by Greenflag. I've been put off Greenflag in the past for car breakdown due to their terms and conditions. It all seemed quite restrictive as to what they will and won't do. I've always found the big two, AA and RAC to be far more flexible.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, I see Mayday is by Greenflag. I've been put off Greenflag in the past for car breakdown due to their terms and conditions. It all seemed quite restrictive as to what they will and won't do. I've always found the big two, AA and RAC to be far more flexible.
You should look at the Mayday t&c as it’s specific to the CMHC for caravaners, and motorhomes. Then you get a current comparison not an historic one.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mayday, with the double recovery, ie, if your car or caravan breaks down they will take the car/caravan and group to your holiday site and home if it cannot be repaired. (To your cost for the repair) a great service.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Mayday by Greenflag has fewer restrictions than Greenflag direct - personally I'd use Mayday/Greenflag every time as I've had rubbish treatment from both AA and RAC in the past.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The one point where the Arrival beats Mayday is if you have the caravan in storage and need that and the car recovered. Arrival will tow the caravan to the storage and the car to the garage provided they are less than 50 miles apart. Mayday do not give this cover and say only if the driver agrees and the storage is in line with the garage. Not sure if you think it is worth the extra though but it means with Mayday you basically need the caravan in storage so you could end up with the car there as well and have to pay for the recovery from there.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The one point where the Arrival beats Mayday is if you have the caravan in storage and need that and the car recovered. Arrival will tow the caravan to the storage and the car to the garage provided they are less than 50 miles apart. Mayday do not give this cover and say only if the driver agrees and the storage is in line with the garage. Not sure if you think it is worth the extra though but it means with Mayday you basically need the caravan in storage so you could end up with the car there as well and have to pay for the recovery from there.

That has been changed since a massive complaint about two years ago. They will take the caravan to the storage and then drop off the car.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Since Mayday includes multiple trips, it's not a direct issue - Mayday will also cover accident damage as using your insurer won't get the caravan back unless towed at time of accident - in this case the insurer will collect the car from wherever it's located AFTER the caravan has been recovered back to it's normal storage location.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Since Mayday includes multiple trips, it's not a direct issue - Mayday will also cover accident damage as using your insurer won't get the caravan back unless towed at time of accident - in this case the insurer will collect the car from wherever it's located AFTER the caravan has been recovered back to it's normal storage location.
I was assured by the CAMC that in the event of a breakdown Mayday will tow the car and caravan back to the storage site first and then take the car to your home to be collected the next day to take to a garage if the breakdown occurred after hours i.e. it is a Sunday.
Many people switched to RAC from Mayday when this first cropped up and it took CAMC several months to negotiate with Mayday to resolve the issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was assured by the CAMC that in the event of a breakdown Mayday will tow the car and caravan back to the storage site first and then take the car to your home to be collected the next day to take to a garage if the breakdown occurred after hours i.e. it is a Sunday.
Many people switched to RAC from Mayday when this first cropped up and it took CAMC several months to negotiate with Mayday to resolve the is
Surely the Mayday policy should say what is and what is not included. Does it?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely the Mayday policy should say what is and what is not included. Does it?
I have no idea as have not bothered reading the T&Cs for a couple of years. However it was confirmed in an email from the club and also closed a long discussion on the CT forum as a number of members had moved across to RAC Arrival including myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts