Cris Registration

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Good day to you all, I'm really commenting on a thread that was raised a while ago but is maybe out of date now so a new thread seemed like a good idea.
The thread was implying that even if you had a Cris check on your van when purchasing it it could still turn out to be stolen and you could be charged with handling stolen goods, I have just spent 20 minutes calling the police asking the question, can I or would I be charged with handling stolen goods, I'm told that if I have firstly checked that its not registered as stolen or on a list saying that its owing HP and that I have obtained a receipt for it from the seller, then as far as there concerned I have done everything in my power to basically cover my back and also as far as my insurers are concerned the caravan belongs to me and they would honour there agreement with me.
So I'm happy that as far as I'm concerned I can travel happy knowing that if I was to be stopped I can know I'm not breaking any laws.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes what you were told was correct. As long as you have taken all reasonable steps you would be most unlucky to be charged. But even if you were charged I don't think it would hold upon court. However despite taking reasonable steps if it were to be found that the caravan had been stolen you have no claim on it and it would be returned to the rightful owners or the insurance company. You would then have to seek your own redress via the courts from the seller.

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Yea I know, hardly seems fair but that's the problem with British law, its buyer beware, I suppose I'm lucky that the van has only had 2 owners and I have details of both so I know its never been stolen or had a claim made on it but there are plenty who have been caught out, sadly there's no redress but I just wanted to draw new caravaners to what could be an issue.
Its not just new caravans either there was one stolen 14 years ago who the police we're trying to trace the owners, I wouldn't want it back if it was mine.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid the CRIS report being clear is not a guarantee that it is not stolen but it should work most of the time. The system relies on thefts being reported to them and some are bound to be missed so getting proof of ownership from the seller is necessary.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought: my caravan is 39 years old, but has a CHRiS number etched on all the windows. I've never registered it, don't know if the previous owner did. I've owned it for 18 years, bought it privately from its second owner, so have no receipt. The man I bought it off was 81 then, so is probably dead now, so I have no proof whatsoever that I acquired the van legitimately. If I approach CHRiS to register it in my name, will they want proof of purchase?
Academic question really, as I doubt if anyone is going to steal it!

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
emmerson said:
Just a thought: my caravan is 39 years old, but has a CHRiS number etched on all the windows. I've never registered it, don't know if the previous owner did. I've owned it for 18 years, bought it privately from its second owner, so have no receipt. The man I bought it off was 81 then, so is probably dead now, so I have no proof whatsoever that I acquired the van legitimately. If I approach CHRiS to register it in my name, will they want proof of purchase?

If he was 81 when you bought the van from him 39 years ago I don't think you are likely to get a receipt off him now. That said if it was stolen 39 years ago the thief is also probably dead too so wouldn't worry too much!

Mike

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Got your numbers a bit mixed up there Mike!
The van was new 39 years ago, and I bought it from its second owner when he was 81, and I've now owned it for 18 years.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
emmerson said:

I am afraid if it can be stolen somebody just might do it. From dealing with claims I know it is true but the theft of older caravans is far less common.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts