Damaged electric towing cable

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
Rookie Mistake
So I towed the caravan back three hours last week with the electric cable dragging on the ground 🤬🤬🤬
The damage is quite bad ….
Lots of bare wires showing
Question is what is the easiest / best fix for this.?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And to remember to prevent it from dragging... I used to radially cut up an old inner tube to make lots of rubber rings, like large rubber bands. These had multiple uses in the workshop garden and camping/caravanning. It was possible to use one to hold excess cable up by hooking it onto the jockey wheel handle.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would replace the whole cable, but I am able to do it myself, not always an easy job, depend on your own abilities at wiring,
I think if your asking then get an AWS tech in to do it.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Looks like a length of 12 core cable with a pre fitted 13 pin plug is less than 25.00 or just the cable cheaper still.
Personally I twist mine so a loop is formed before plugging in ensuring it won’t drag but still allows for full articulation en route.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And to remember to prevent it from dragging... I used to radially cut up an old inner tube to make lots of rubber rings, like large rubber bands. These had multiple uses in the workshop garden and camping/caravanning. It was possible to use one to hold excess cable up by hooking it onto the jockey wheel handle.
I used a length of Velcro “ hook and loop” tape the make sure the cable would not scrub the ground but still had freedom to move as the caravan moved.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Did the self same thing about 10 years ago.
Spent an hour or so stripping back the insulation, rejoined each wire then wrapped the whole lot up with gaffa tape.
Didn't look pretty then and it still doesn't today but it's still working.

Reactions: WayneS
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Rookie Mistake
So I towed the caravan back three hours last week with the electric cable dragging on the ground 🤬🤬🤬
The damage is quite bad ….
Lots of bare wires showing
Question is what is the easiest / best fix for this.?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
This happened to us,the cable terminated inside a fuse ? box at the front/inside the van.We cut the cable inside the van and fitted a open terminal bloc and connected the existing cable.Bought a length of cable and connected the plug at one end (on the outside)then connected the cable to the terminal block. matching the cable cores colour for colour - easy.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
If you do replace the cable take photos of the connection box before you take the old wires off as a failsafe, then disconnect and reconnect the wires one by one.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts