Damp!...but maybe not?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Had our little Xplore 302 recently serviced by a dealership. Usually use the mobile guy but he was scratching his head over an intermittent electrical issue we had. To be fair the dealership solved the intermittent problem, but the damp report said 20% damp near the front window (so monitor) but 70% damp in the lower back corner. o_O:(:eek:
Needed a lie down after the radical walletectomy they performed when it came to the bill.

Anyroad, got it home and whipped out the cheap damp meter off amazon. Sure enough got the same reading at the window and in the corner. Took everything out of the cupboard that the corner lay behind in order to investigate further.

OH ( who is lying on floor with head in said cupboard) says. “ This floor (covered in vinyl) is wet”
Me: “That can’t be right, damp is in the body of the van, not on top of the vinyl floor”
:unsure:

In that cupboard was a couple of pans and the kettle, it is also not far from the inline filter. So now wondering (hoping) if they either managed to spill residual water from the kettle or more likely spilled water when changing the filter before measuring for damp.
Have left cupboard empty and open and now damp reading in the same place is down to 15%.

Time will tell. We will get it rechecked by someone professional later in the year, when we are able to go out again. In the meantime, fingers crossed.
mel

Reactions: Dustydog and Parksy

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My money is on the in line filter, they have a very nasty habit of splitting.
Get rid of it and replace with a piece of pipe, you really do not need it !!!

Reactions: Mel
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Mel, had a similar problem last week when I had my service done I had 50% on the front. N/S window new rubber fitted yesterday, cassette toilet gave a reading of 25% my engineer could not understand why but it was clumsy me every time I fill the cassette water holder water went everywhere mainly where the cassette lives so this is what I'm putting the 25% reading down to, finally battery box reading 20% that is now about to be done if I'm not breaking the law going to the storage compound,
Having a damp re test in three months

May 7, 2012
Visit site
When we were about to trade in our Eldiss I did a spot check with a damp meter and found damp readings at some of the windows about this time of year. On pulling back the rubber surround on the inside, I was able to see condensation, which I wiped off and the damp immediately disappeared. That may not be your problem but it will be worth checking.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Mel......the England and Wales weather at the moment is like one huge dehumidifier!
The air is very dry so it is worth opening vents on your caravan to dry things out.....that is if you can get to your caravan.
My relative humidity reading here in Sussex is just 22%.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mel, leave it (well you can't do anything else really) until a moth or so, I had a pipe burst, whilst out one afternoon 40 litres under the front bunk. Drained it down towel dried , luckily on site, for a long weekend in winter, heating at max, for 4 days, and Ouch we were on electric card meter. Only £15 though . At the end all ok.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to all. We have had windows open etc and the readings are now low. It is a cheap and cheerful damp meter so will get it professionally rechecked when the current crisis is over. Fingers crossed until then.
mel

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mel, Dusty D and Myself have the same meters, and they check ok with our individual Service engineers, within a couple of per cent. So lets hope all will be well.

Reactions: Dustydog and Mel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mel, Dusty D and Myself have the same meters, and they check ok with our individual Service engineers, within a couple of per cent. So lets hope all will be well.
Hutch
What is the meter type that you are using. Even if it wasn’t spot on it would show a trend which could be useful in keeping an eye on the caravan.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OC, This is the one I bought on Dusty dogs rec. It works well, checked it against my NCC engineer. Within 1 to 2% two probes

Hutch
Many thanks. The van had a check in January and all levels were well down. That’s always a relief. So my theory is that if I buy a meter it will continue to keep that four letter word at bay. 👍

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They are to check how many tear you produce, because you ccan't get out in the caravans.
Strangley enough my damp caravans damp level are down by about 5 % from last year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OC, This is the one I bought on Dusty dogs rec. It works well, checked it against my NCC engineer. Within 1 to 2% two probes

Bought one to be delivered by Friday. Looks a useful piece of kit. (y) Think I will mount it just hanging down from the ceiling about mid way along the caravan. Hope the two fixing needles are good enough to hold it in place over rough sections of road. Wonder if it will transmit real time readings en route like my TPMS. :whistle:

• Haha
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No you have to stab it into the caravan wall or floor, tiny little 1/32 " pin pricks. But very reassuring when you use it. Used it after my bathroom flood. IMG-20191004-WA0006.jpeg

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Bought one to be delivered by Friday. Looks a useful piece of kit. (y) Think I will mount it just hanging down from the ceiling about mid way along the caravan. Hope the two fixing needles are good enough to hold it in place over rough sections of road. Wonder if it will transmit real time readings en route like my TPMS. :whistle:
OC, did you buy off ebay, I paid £16.87

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts