Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Iam going to be parking my caravan in the paddock next to my home and I was wondering if you used something to coat the outer floor to damp proof it from the damp rising of the grass? Waxoyle perhaps?? Any thoughts please? many thanks in advance

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don't think it is necessary so long as vegitation is kept tidy and there is a decent air gap beneath. But if you are able to put a hard standing in it would be advantageous.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would expect that the caravan would keep the grass down underneath, we did keep our first caravan on the back lawn and it was never a problem. A hard standing is preferable if possible though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Out in the country I don't think there will be that much difference on a grass pitch to a gravel one. Our storage site had gravel but over time the grass grew through it and it effectively became a grass area. We never had any issues of damp coming from below.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Generally the underside of the floor panels will already have some from of protective coating on them, I'm not sure if adding an even stronger moisture resistant surface might impair the airing of the surface and might encourage rot setting in.

and any wooded beams should already be treated timber to resist rot.

In general floor rot is caused more by water leaking in through the roof and walls rather than from directly underneath.

In storage you shouldn't get "rising damp" as there should be no porous material connecting the caravans floor with the ground or vegetation.

On balance I do not think there is any need to add more protection, unless something has already been replaced.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would expect that the caravan would keep the grass down underneath, we did keep our first caravan on the back lawn and it was never a problem. A hard standing is preferable if possible though.

Yes the caravan will keep the grass down underneath it, but where the light can get to, it can grow very fast if left unmanaged. Seen this on sites where people have seasonal grass pitches. This can hold moister close to the edges and restrict air flow.

Easy to manage with a strimmer if the owner is local, as is the OP.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts