Dash Cam advice please.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Any recommendations as to the best Dash Cam to get for the car would be much appreciated, as we are entering a whole new world here. :unsure:
Is it better to go for the duo type, for both front and back windscreens and presumably we need the sort that is wired in, without any trailing wires?
Any advice and recommendations would be welcome, thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
mealsonwheels said:
Any recommendations as to the best Dash Cam to get for the car would be much appreciated, as we are entering a whole new world here. :unsure:
Is it better to go for the duo type, for both front and back windscreens and presumably we need the sort that is wired in, without any trailing wires?
Any advice and recommendations would be welcome, thanks.

Nextbase 512 GW has consistently come top or near top on many comparative reviews. It’s performance at night in low sun or poor light is what marks it out. It’s recently been superseded by a later model and subsequently its price is now just below £100 from some suppliers when it was over £260 when first introduced. It has a matching rear view camera that can be purchased separately.

If you buy the fitting kit an auto electrician should charge around £40-50 to install.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
My mate had a dash cam fitted by Halfords the other week I was at our local Halfords and the chap that does the dash cam fitting had a Merc with half the dash out and wires everywhere, rather him than me,

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the Nextbase 512, I bought it last year from Halfords and was very happy with it. When I changed my car to the Volvo XC60 I bought a hardwire kit from a well known online auction site, found some installation videos online and installed it myself. Not a difficult job if you are confident enough to remove some internal trim panels.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
I concur with all the statements above regarding next base dash cams.
Bought one from halfords, & my son hard wired it.
Excellent piece of kit for forward vision recording, unfortunnately not too clued up on rear cameras.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use the Nextbase, although it came from Curry's. I did look at the footage on the PC to check the quality and it looked good, although I have never needed the footage after an accident. I have it wired into the cigarette lighter socket which seems to work OK. It has a mass of wire so should fit almost anything.
The magazine did review a few models some time back, you might be able to find it if you search the web site.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I know to my cost that there are issues with CCTV cameras and I would have thought the same would apply to dash cams... I used to park daily at a railway station that about 6 months before a break in to my car had CCTV cameras installed. Because it was on Network Rail property, British Transport police were involved,and responded very well, BUT despite having CCTV footage it wasn't certified as of "evidential quality" and so stopped the investigation in its tracks. I would think that the same would apply to dash cams

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
I know to my cost that there are issues with CCTV cameras and I would have thought the same would apply to dash cams... I used to park daily at a railway station that about 6 months before a break in to my car had CCTV cameras installed. Because it was on Network Rail property, British Transport police were involved,and responded very well, BUT despite having CCTV footage it wasn't certified as of "evidential quality" and so stopped the investigation in its tracks. I would think that the same would apply to dash cams

Admittedly lots of CCTV footage does look absolute rubbish. But there have been prosecutions using dash cam footage and there’s now a dash cam portal where drivers can use their footage to report instances of bad driving. Shades of 1984!

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/can-dash-cam-evidence-be-used-against-you-in-court/

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have this Dashcam.
I've not hard wired it, due to a hesitance to mess with the cars electrics and not wanting to run the sentry/standby mode. However, the installation is virtually invisible with the wire running to the rear-seat 12v socket and is hidden in the headlining and behind A-pillar and door trim. The dashcam being so small is hidden from the drivers perspective by the rear-view mirror. I have mostly hidden a power cable to my phone holder on the drivers side the same way.

I would like to install a rear-facing camera, but i can't seem to see a position that would provide an invisible install.

https://youtu.be/7OPrYBWCAYc

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I always had Satnavs hard wired unless built in of course, and have done the same for my last 4 dashcams. I am like you, dont bother with the sentry mode, but have had issues with them not switching off with the ignition on one vehicle, funnily enough my XC70. I use a Mio Mivue which has been installed with a box that they supply to protect the car battery, Its supposed to monitor the battery condition when in sentry mode but doesnt seem to work properly, never has.

However, about installation, I always use a firm called Mobile Solutions in Derby but any competant car radio outfit would do an invisible job. Usually costs me around $40 + VAT.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Online postings regarding accidents and road incidents now often include appeals for other drivers in the vicinity having dash-cam footage to forward it to the police, as this might demonstrate what had occurred to cause the accident and presumably be acceptable to motor insurance companies as 'evidence' too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
audiorob said:
Online postings regarding accidents and road incidents now often include appeals for other drivers in the vicinity having dash-cam footage to forward it to the police, as this might demonstrate what had occurred to cause the accident and presumably be acceptable to motor insurance companies as 'evidence' too.

Do be warned about offering your own dash cam footage as evidence.

If the police see anything on your footage that shows you have acted recklessly or illegally they may decide to prosecute you,

And if you refuse to submit your footage, you could be charged with withholding evidence or obstructing the course of justice.

It therefore pays to drive within teh law at all times and especially if you have a dashcam !!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
audiorob said:

If the police see anything on your footage that shows you have acted recklessly or illegally they may decide to prosecute you,

And if you refuse to submit your footage, you could be charged with withholding evidence or obstructing the course of justice.

It therefore pays to drive within teh law at all times and especially if you have a dashcam !!!

OMG!
I’m giving up selfies :whistle:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
ProfJohnL said:
audiorob said:

OMG!
I’m giving up selfies :whistle:

I remember when my son lent me his Garmin satnav. I was ferreting around sorting out settings. Shock- horror 143mph came up as maximum speed reached. Very pleased when he sold the Ninja and moved on to a 1000 cc Yamaha touring bike.

Reactions: JezzerB
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
I remember when my son lent me his Garmin satnav. I was ferreting around sorting out settings. Shock- horror 143mph came up as maximum speed reached. Very pleased when he sold the Ninja and moved on to a 1000 cc Yamaha touring bike.

...which would be "only" capable of 135mph... As a motorcyclist, I'm only too aware of issues of hitting or being hit by anything at any speed could result in life changing injury or fatality, but... I couldn't not be without a bike.

There's an old saying that there's no such thing as an ex-motorcyclist, just a motorcyclist without a bike at the moment...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
otherclive said:

...which would be "only" capable of 135mph... As a motorcyclist, I'm only too aware of issues of hitting or being hit by anything at any speed could result in life changing injury or fatality, but... I couldn't not be without a bike.

There's an old saying that there's no such thing as an ex-motorcyclist, just a motorcyclist without a bike at the moment...

You need to check out Kawasaki facts. The Ninja 900 or GPZ series had a top speed in excess of 150 mph. You are referring to the Ninja 600 version.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
Guzzilazz said:
otherclive said:

You need to check out Kawasaki facts. The Ninja 900 or GPZ series had a top speed in excess of 150 mph. You are referring to the Ninja 600 version.

I was referring to the Yamaha....

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
We have a Next Base and Halfords wired it in to both of our cars so we can move it from car to car. The only thing I found was that when I was sitting in the car one afternoon and saw three people acting in a suspicious manner, I downloaded the footage, but the light was so poor you could not make out any number plates or distinguishing features. Had a chat with Halfords and they adjusted it, now very pleased.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts