Dealers and Ann Widdecombes bum

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
They must have came marauding from the far North in the distant past and set up a caravan dealership in the northwest of England with the soul aim of blighting the lives of us Sassenachs.
I’ll try to keep this a brief story of our experience with a dealer since taking the plunge and ordering our very first caravan in the early summer of 2010, a brand new Swift Challenger 570 but forgive me if I ramble and whinge a bit.
Delivery was agreed for early September 2010, and on the agreed date we set of to collect our new pride and joy. The omens were not good as we got out of the car in the carpark and the heavens opened to soak us both on the way to the office. We were told there would be a slight delay in carrying out the handover as the engineer was busy. We were asked to wait for the engineer in our new caravan which the salesman pointed out to us through the window of his warm dry office, so off we went in a mad dash in the torrential rain. It was almost an hour later when someone arrived to carry out the handover. He very quickly went through all the systems in about 15 minutes and the time came to hitch up, sign the paperwork and pay the balance. The engineer agreed to use the motor mover to align the hitch. The caravan moved about 300mm and the mover stopped. He tried again and once more the van moved about 300mm and stopped. The Engineer said the problem was the new 110 a/h battery which had not been charged and everything would be fine once the battery was charged. This seemed plausible so off we went to the office.
Once in the office I asked for the ALKO wheel lock we ordered with the van some 4 months earlier, after a series of phone calls we were told the lock had been delivered to their other branch by mistake. I told the manager that the lock was a condition of the insurance, and we were going away in two days time, so he agreed to have it sent overnight to our house. We signed all the paperwork, paid the balance and off we went with our new pride and joy.
The next day came. Unfortunately the lock didn’t. After a few phone calls we were told the courier had made a mistake and delivered the lock to them and not us! So off we went on our first ever trip including a 140 mile diversion to collect the lock.
We arrived on site and after struggling to position the van (motor mover not working) we spent the next two or three hours working out how to set up the water, operate the heating system, get hot water etc. etc. as the 15 minute demonstration of all the systems were now just a blur. Anyway we got everything set up with the welcome help and advice from a friendly couple in an adjacent pitch.
We had a very enjoyable three days and the time came to pack up and go home. This would of course be easier because the battery had been charging up for 3 days so the motor mover would work I assured my wife! No such luck the mover worked great for the first 200mm and stopped. We got hitched up with the help of our friendly neighbour’s and set off home, and to phone the dealers.
The dealers wanted to see the offending mover so I took the van the 60 miles to their site. Once there they tried the mover, which again moved the van 200mm. The dealer said they would contact the mover manufactures and get back to me, so off I went home. Three weeks and several phone calls from me to the dealer, (they never once phoned me) later, I was driving back down the M55 with the van for the to replace the mover control panel, all was now well with the mover.
We had nine trips away in total in the first year, everyone enjoyable, with only very minor niggles with the van. August 2011 came around quickly and it was time to book the caravans first service. I contacted the dealer, went through a short list of faults, the main one being broken catches to the drop down TV cabinet, a well known and acknowledged design fault that Swift had a standard fix for, and booked the caravan in to their dedicated service centre at a date in early September. Between booking the van in and the date of the service the intruder alarm on the van stopped working. I contacted the dealer and they added this to the short list of warranty work. The appointed day arrived and I dropped the van off at their service centre and went through all the required work with their engineer. I was assured that all the warranty work had been approved by Swift and they had received all the required parts.
A few days later I got the call to say everything was sorted and the van so ready to be collected, they had found a small amount of damp on the door to the toilet cassette and had but in a warranty claim for a new door and were waiting for Swift to approve the claim, so off I went up the M6 to collect the van.
Disappointed could be one of the words used to describe my feelings to find out that they hadn’t followed the Swift standard fix for the TV cabinet, and had only fitted one of the supplied catches, and that the alarm hadn’t been touched because they didn’t have the parts!
Anyway we are now in February 2012, 6 months on from the service date, and 2 weeks ago after countless phone calls from me to the dealer (never from them to me) and 3 more 100 mile round trips to their service centre, I got the caravan back with the TV cabinet repaired to the Swift specification, and the old Nord alarm changed for a new Sergeant 310 alarm. At last I thought, everything sorted. That was until I brought the van home from the storage yard this weekend to prepare for the new season, only to find out the road light weren’t working.
The dilemma was do I take it back to the dealers for them to take a couple of months to investigate, expect me to make 3 round trips to their service centre, try to find someone to blame, and eventually repair the road lights and break something else, or do I have a go myself.
It is well reported on caravan forums how helpful and customer focused Sergeants are, so after a few minutes on their web site I printed off the wiring schematic and went off to the van to investigate. I found that the dealer had simply cut all the cables that went to the old alarm, including the cables to the road lights, and plugged in the new alarm. A quick phone call to Clive at Sergeants confirmed what I had to do and 10 minutes later everything was working fine once more.
Congratulations if you have read this far, believe me I could have gone on a lot further, suffice to say I will not be going near this dealer again with a barge pole, in fact I would rather staple my eyelids to Ann Widdecombes arse than let them anywhere near my caravan.
Can anyone recommend a good dealer / service centre in the Warrington / Wigan area.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Oh Whittakerr, what a catalogue of errors - and we thought it was only us that this scenario happened to!
We are now entering our fouth year of trying to get problems sorted that begun from new in 2008 and the caravan was under warranty.
We really do sympathise with you and know only too well what it's like waiting for someone who said they would phone you, to do just that. Talk about raising the blood pressure - everyone is in slow motion.
We are currently waiting for the roof blind over the island bed to be replaced (they sent the wrong size, despite being told what size it was). All the blinds in the caravan developed faults and were replaced months ago and only this morning another e-mail has gone off to the company asking them what's happening about the roof blind, as we have heard absolutely nothing. And so it goes on. It's like walking through treacle to get anything done. At least you know you're not alone!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the smaller Heki (not mini) roof light blind replaced when the van was new
They sent the wrong one first
Talking of roof vent blinds I recently tried to buy a blind for our 2011 Swift Challenger 570 toilet compartment MPK 400mm square opaque roof light
We want to shut out the light as the toilet door is left open at night due to disability and problems with doors,handles and falling over !
None are now available
They are in a 2010 parts catalogue in the form of a frame with blind that screws round the vent but not listed any more
The latest 2012 model has a different vent with a clear plastic top but no blind as standard
You can get a blind to fit that at £24 for those of us who go on terraced sites or want to blot out the light at night(dawn) rather than just look at caravans in showrooms !!!
I had to change the whole roof light to get a blind but used the Mini Heki removed when the air con was fitted

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
And still you all buy new vans!
smiley-frown.gif

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks meals on wheels, walking through treacle is exactly what it feels like.
Emmerson, you’ve missed the point completely. We are very happy with the new caravan, as I said with the exception of the alarm there have only been minor niggles that needed repair. I am also very happy with the manufactures, Swift. They acted when they realised the TV cabinet was not up to their standards, and they have also changed to suppler of the alarms following problems with the original suppler. My post was about the very poor standard of customer service given by dealer.
Big S. Thanks for the recommendation I’ll check them out when the next service is due.

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I did burst out laughing at the subject line (very funny!)
smiley-laughing.gif
But when I started reading about the caravan nightmare you went through, I stopped smiling. I only hope there's a good ending to your problems and wish you the best for the future.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Whittaker, I'm happy that you're happy with your new van, and may you have many years of fun out of it. But sadly, your tale is heard only too frequently, and this should not be so. When you buy new, it should be just that. It should not need "niggly little things" fixed AFTER you've bought it. This is what PDI is for.
Surfer, in reponse to your comment, I would still be using my 32 year old van, which, when new was built up to a standard, not down to a price, hence the fact that I'm still able to use it at 32 years old! We do periodically look at new vans (a friend runs a dealership), but always come away and leave them, because we've not yet found any with the quality we have in our van.
What was behind my comment was that if people stopped buying new vans, and told manufacturers why, then perhaps quality control at the factories, and PDIs at dealers would improve. Utopia, perhaps, but who knows?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts