Death wish or plain idiot?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was driving along a country road tonight (national speed limit applies), there was no street lighting and it was dark.

Guess what happens next? In front of me was a man dressed in black with a black rucksack riding a bike. No lights on the front or rear of the bike and no reflective gear either.

Obviously, me being me, I would have loved to have stopped and spoke to him about this but as I was miles from the nearest house etc, and did not have any of my dogs with me, it wasn't safe to do so.

I can't believe anybody in their right mind would cycle along a dark country road with no bike lights or reflective gear.

Rant over.

Lisa

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Have you not come across the Invisible Cycling Club before? There is a branch near me. As soon as the nights draw in they have regular events. The rules are simple, no reflectors, dark clothing, no lights, dark bicycle. Your chap was obviously an officianado. Then ride in badly lit ares. I assume there is some sort of points system with maximum score for the most death entreating manouver. In these credit crunch times there is an entry level, Invisible Pedestrian. Similar rules but without the bike.

They have an intelligence test on entry. Anyone who passes isn't alowed in.

mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa, in exactly those circs, one of our drivers knocked a man off his bike.Our man was done for driving for driving without due care and attention.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi emmerson

I can believe that, absolutely disgusting.

I said to Phil last night, if someone is not bothered whether or not they die on a road, well, that's up to them but PLEASE don't involve innocent motorists.

I mean, how much is a set of lights and batteries for gods sake.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used to be a keen cyclist(time trials) and did 10000 miles one year

I remember on one dark night near to Whitchurch as I pedalled along with 2 lights on the front and rear with reflective arm bands round my ankles and pedal reflectors hearing a slight sound in front and just swerved in time to avoid riding into the back a lady dressed in black on a bicycle with no lights or reflectors

Its always stuck in my mind every time we go that way

There really is no excuse in these days of rechargeable lighting

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Come down to West Sussex they have the biggest club in the country. No lights and dark clothing is a must to be a club member

oh yes must have frontel lobeatomy. The police to do nothing but if you knock them down its all you fault.

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
Old family friends drove home on a Devon road and on a down hill the husband swerved to miss an un-lit bicycle. His wife was dozing and didn't see the cyclist, a week or two later on the same road late at night in the same place, there he was again seen by both husband and wife as the husband swerved to miss the idiot.

After attending a family party near Bude the wife did the long drive home as her husband had 3 or 4 drinks.

As they approached the hill, he warned "look out for that idiot on the bike", "yes yes, ok" as they took a bend on the hill she swerved as they saw the same idiot at the last moment. "Stop the car I've had enough of this idiot" the husband ordered, Relucatantly his wife stopped and they got out of the car a little futher along the road. She'd stopped parked to the left side of the road and her husband stood to the side in the road to block the cyclist's way as the wife got out of the car. Her husband made startled call to the cyclist to stop, she saw the cycling upright figure who just kept coming, then they realised that there was no bike as the cyclist appeared to cycle through the back of their Land Rover and out the front of it and dissapeared.

Both shaken, they got in Land Rover that had been quite warm only to find it very icy cold and cold for the last 3 or 4 miles to their farm.

They had a couple of stiff drinks and went to bed, in the morning they'd both had a disturbed night and had a dreampt of being in a very old lorry and running over a cyclist.

Their Landrover would not start that morning, and had to have a new ignition coil, a week or so later they drove down the cyclist's hill and the engine faltered and stopped near the bottom. The Land Rover wouldn't start, the ignition coil had failed. All was well until they drove down the hill again and the engine cut out, the 2nd hand coil had failed. A new coil fitted they drove up the hill with no problems on another day out to there family near Bude.

On the return journey the husband insisted on taking the usual route to his wifes horror, they rounded the bend and there was no cyclist, as they passed the spot where they beleived they'd stopped the engine died and he lost control of the Land Rover and only stopped after running along a stone wall to the side of the road. The ignition had failed again and the braking master cylinder had failed or leaked.

They had the Land Rover towed away for repair near Exeter and exchanged it for a newer model.

They had some problem with a Potatoe crop that year and sold up and moved to another larger farm in Somerset.

The week they moved they saw the son of a local farmer walking along the road, they stopped and offered him a lift. His newly purchsed used Land Rover had broken down, as they drove him to his home he told that he had been to Bude that morning, on his way back he was coming down a hill and the engine just died.

They dropped him at his families farm and drove off back towards the hill all though it was out of their way. Parked in a field gate way at the bottom of the same hill was their old Landrover.

So just make sure you keep avoiding un-lit cyclists!

They later hear from an old neighbout of a Labourer who went off to the G

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
Old family friends drove home on a Devon road and on a down hill the husband swerved to miss an un-lit bicycle. His wife was dozing and didn't see the cyclist, a week or two later on the same road late at night in the same place, there he was again seen by both husband and wife as the husband swerved to miss the idiot.

After attending a family party near Bude the wife did the long drive home as her husband had 3 or 4 drinks.

As they approached the hill, he warned "look out for that idiot on the bike", "yes yes, ok" as they took a bend on the hill she swerved as they saw the same idiot at the last moment. "Stop the car I've had enough of this idiot" the husband ordered, Relucatantly his wife stopped and they got out of the car a little futher along the road. She'd stopped parked to the left side of the road and her husband stood to the side in the road to block the cyclist's way as the wife got out of the car. Her husband made startled call to the cyclist to stop, she saw the cycling upright figure who just kept coming, then they realised that there was no bike as the cyclist appeared to cycle through the back of their Land Rover and out the front of it and dissapeared.

Both shaken, they got in Land Rover that had been quite warm only to find it very icy cold and cold for the last 3 or 4 miles to their farm.

They had a couple of stiff drinks and went to bed, in the morning they'd both had a disturbed night and had a dreampt of being in a very old lorry and running over a cyclist.

Their Landrover would not start that morning, and had to have a new ignition coil, a week or so later they drove down the cyclist's hill and the engine faltered and stopped near the bottom. The Land Rover wouldn't start, the ignition coil had failed. All was well until they drove down the hill again and the engine cut out, the 2nd hand coil had failed. A new coil fitted they drove up the hill with no problems on another day out to there family near Bude.

On the return journey the husband insisted on taking the usual route to his wifes horror, they rounded the bend and there was no cyclist, as they passed the spot where they beleived they'd stopped the engine died and he lost control of the Land Rover and only stopped after running along a stone wall to the side of the road. The ignition had failed again and the braking master cylinder had failed or leaked.

They had the Land Rover towed away for repair near Exeter and exchanged it for a newer model.

They had some problem with a Potatoe crop that year and sold up and moved to another larger farm in Somerset.

The week they moved they saw the son of a local farmer walking along the road, they stopped and offered him a lift. His newly purchsed used Land Rover had broken down, as they drove him to his home he told that he had been to Bude that morning, on his way back he was coming down a hill and the engine just died.

They dropped him at his families farm and drove off back towards the hill all though it was out of their way. Parked in a field gate way at the bottom of the same hill was their old Landrover.

So just make sure you keep avoiding un-lit cyclists!

They later hear from an old neighbout of a Labourer who went off to the G
Great War, he never came back but a bicycle that was believed to be his was found in a field at the bottom of the hill a couple of days after the war ended.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa - not only do we have unlit cyclists on the roads of South Wales at night but they also ride on the pavement and shout at pedestrians to get out of their way. I always refuse to move and generally have a mouthful of abuse thrown at me.

On one occassions when exiting from the front gate onto the pavement I walked into a cyclist. He fell off his bike and hit the side of a parked car. After a bit of verbal exchange I threatened to call the police as he had hurt me and damaged the car. He soon shut up and walked off limping and carrying his damaged bike on his shoulder. Did I care for him - did I hell - his fault so tough on hom.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa, thought I'd tell you your man in black has lost his bike and was walking though the lanes tonight in St Albans where I missed him by inches .

If I see him tomorrow I'll try harder

Brian :O)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Brian, but was it a man or a ghost? Next time can you stop and find out please. Best take a cross with you though.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

I don't want to scare you or anything, but if it is a person who might have passed over and in limbo, and you drive along that route on a regular basis, I think it might be time for you to bring out your Father Ted outfit again......

Oh, and some holy water might come in useful too.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts