Debate about cruelty to dogs - please join in

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Copied from the Mansfield Chad online. Please read this and let me have your opinions.

I'm not going to commment at this stage because I know this person and I am interested in what constructive comments you may have about this.

--------------

STARVING dogs were found trapped in cages, piled high with faeces, at the home of a Bulwell man who claimed to have entered pets at Crufts.

They were discovered in a bedroom at the Longford Crescent home of Shaun Mignano (33) on December 1 last year, Nottingham Magistrates Court heard.

RSPCA inspectors Laura Kirkham and Gary Eastwood came across the four dogs after getting into the house through an unlocked back-door.

They said the stench in the rancid room was so "revolting and overpowering" they were left "physically retching".

A one-year-old brindle and white Staffordshire bull terrier, named Callie, was in a cage so full of dog mess that the inspectors couldn't tell she was inside at all, the court heard.

All she had was some water that had gone green. And, In the opinion of vet David Jones, the ***** was so emaciated and underfed that she was "within a day or two of collapse and death".

She weighed half her normal weight and was described as "skeletal" by Mr Eastwood.

She could barely stand and she had infected wounds, caused by the cramped cage.

In a second cage was another one-year-old brindle and white Staffordshire bull terrier named Charlie, who was two-thirds his body weight and also surrounded by faeces.

A third Staffordshire bull terrier, three-year-old Billie, was loose and moderately emaciated, the court heard.

The final dog was seven-year-old Collie Storm, who was under weight and had an infected paw after being bitten by Billie.

In the back garden, which was also covered in animal faeces, the inspectors found two eight-year-old cats, Mia and Kia, left in a run. They had no food and their water was stagnant.

When they fed the cats, the inspectors said they had never seen pets eat so hungrily or greedily.

Mr Jones's professional opinion was that they hadn't been fed properly for three weeks, the court heard.

Mignano pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to Callie between November 17 and December 1 last year.

He also admitted a charge of causing unnecessary suffering to Callie, Charlie and Billie and cats Mia and Kia between November 10 and December 1 2006 and another charge of causing unnecessary suffering to the same dogs and cats, with the addition of collie dog Storm, between the same dates.

Julia Haywood (defending) said Mignano suffered from depression after splitting from his wife and was on medication.

He was under pressure because of mounting debts and had been living with a friend, instead of at his Longford Crescent home. Looking after the animals had gone down his priority list.

"One thing apparent is his absolute remorse and shame," said Mrs Haywood. "He is devastated by how bad things have got and appears genuine.

"He has kept dogs for a number of years and it is a fact that he has shown dogs and shown these dogs. These ones were not at Crufts but that was his hobby."

She added: "They were his life".

The court heard that the animals were caged because this had been a habit of Mignano's when he was not in.

But previously, it had only been for a couple of hours.

During his health problems, he tried to return to the house to feed the pets but couldn't cope, the court heard. A friend had also tried to help.

Things became even worse when he was convicted of drink-driving and lost his job at the beginning of last November.

"He could not remember the state of the house or the dogs," said Mrs Haywood. "I think he needed professional help."

Tim Shock (prosecuting) applied for Mignano to be given a lifetime ban from keeping any animals.

But magistrates decided that the offences were so serious they must consider sending him to prison. They adjourned sentencing until July 2 for the preparation of probation and medical reports. Mignano was given unconditional bail.

The court was told that all six animals are now fit and well and have been found new homes.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Put him in solitary confinement, locked in a cage, with enough water in a container to last him one week. No toilet facilities, let him sleep lying in his own excrement. Finally, when it is obvious his health has deteriorated to such an extent that he was beyond saving take him to a vet to be put down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jail for 12 months and lifetime ban. It won't happen though. the do-gooders will give him six months suspended, and he'll have more dogs next week.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
This fella is obviously very ill,its just a shame he did not hand them over to the RSPCA or a dogs home.Hopefully the dogs can be found a good home and mr mignano makes a full recovery.

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
This fella is obviously very ill,its just a shame he did not hand them over to the RSPCA or a dogs home.Hopefully the dogs can be found a good home and mr mignano makes a full recovery.
Animal cruelty, my biggest pet HATE, so all I will say is Shoot the B*****d, no on second thoughts I will go with his Lordship, shooting is too quick.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Ill? How does a starving dog know that? Ill? Left up to its eye balls in crap? Those animals must have been there for an awful long time as most animals will not soil thier own beds.

Mental health act? you really have no idea? after 12 years i am glad i got out of that game. People always claim i was ill, but to mistreat animals in this way, hes not sick he just used them for his own ends and then walked away and couldnt be bothered! Lock him up, with the rest of the so called ILL people.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the replies so far.

But do you think people CAN get themselves into such depression/despair after a series of events that they lose the will to look after themselves and leave their pets to suffer?

I'm not going down the social worker stance here, as I said in my initial post, I do know this person and before I comment on that, I'm interested to hear what people have to say about my question above.

I do know the outcome, I'll post it later.

Please keep the replies coming.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Allen for your reply. You will hear a bit more about this later.

Lisa

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
I feel a little sorry for this person. He is obviously in a bad way(so its alledged)

But he could have handed the dogs and cats over to an animal rescue center or the RSPCA.

The report says a friend tried to help. If I was his friend I would have taken the animals in or handed them to whoever would have helped them before they got into the sorry state they were in.

He should never be able to keep animals again.Prisoned, and receive the treatment for his "illness"

Will

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Yes I agree, whoever this friend was he should have sought help for the Animals and then the owner, sorry but there is no excuse, there is plenty of help out there, especially if this man was really ill, the Animals suffered for a long time, so what was this friend doing.????

May 29, 2007
Visit site
People, the friend did not ill treat these animals and for all we know he was the one who called in the RSPCA. No offence but your comments would probably put some one off ever interveneing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also agree that there is no excuse, it only takes a phone call to the RSPCA or an animal charity and it seems to me that his friend is also guilty of an offence because he knew what was happening but did nothing. A lifetime ban on keeping any animals should be automatic but I am not so sure about sending him to prison, it seems to me that his life is in such a mess that it wouldnt make much difference. He obviously knows a lot about dogs if he used to show at Crufts so it might be better if he could put this to some use by working unpaid with some animal charity. This would help to repay the animals for the terrible thing that he did and might help him to sort his life out. Jim.

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, I did not mean to infer that the friend was guilty, only that he/she should have intervened earlier, and I don't think any Animal lover would be put off, after all the Animals come first, they can't defend themselves, especially when locked in a cage.

Jul 2, 2007
Visit site
I know from experience that in court a good brief will make even the sickest wierdo sound like a victim.

I don't believe a word of the illness crap. Lock the git in small cage with stagnant water and no food. Let him lie in his own waste and then tell him it's because we are ill, which is true, we are sick of cruelty to helpless animals.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Taken from the Hucknall internet site:

As part of his punishment, Mignano was ordered to do 150 hours' unpaid work and pay

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The main thing at leasy in this case is that those poor animals are now fit and well and being cared for. Not having heard all of the evidence in this case,just a newspaper article, we don't know the full circumstances. This man appears to be living apart from his wife so is she involved? Did she own any of these animals? This sounds on the face of it a case of cruelty by neglect and the man should no longer be allowed to keep animals, and it is so serious an offence that a custodial sentence is under consideration. Has this man commited any other offences, and if so did they involve animal cruelty.

He obviously has an alcohol related problem. Has he suffered a nervous breakdown? Has he ever done military service?

I can't possibly pretend to know what the punishment should be

because none of us know this mans character, but if his remorse is genuine and he does serve a prison sentence one can only hope that this man learns from his terrible mistake and rebuilds his life

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi LMH, your post says as part of his Punishment, apart from what you have posted was there any other Punishment? if not, I really don't think this man should ever keep any Animals ever again, it seems he got off very lightly.which does not send out the right warnings to others that may commit this kind of offence.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
I must admitt I am not a great dog lover but this makes my blood boil, I do not wish cruelty to any animal especially those that are pets but this kind of treatment from a owner must be dealt with in a way that would cause the most distress to this man, I would like to kick his f***ing head in.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Shiba

I have an unsupported report that he has been banned from keeping animals for ten years but I can't back that up. As soon as I have more information, I will let you know.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd just like to clarify something else:

'The court heard that the animals were caged because this had been a habit of Mignano's when he was not in. But previously, it had only been for a couple of hours'.

-------

I don't like the word 'habit'. With more than one SBT, it's more a case of 'taking precautions against dogs fighting each other when the owner is out' - something I have to do myself with my dogs.

Just thought I'd add that.

Lisa

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa, thanks for the update, I am pleased that he got the ten year ban, because if he is ill, this will give him time to sort himself out before he can contemplate any more Animals.

TRENDING THREADS