Defintions required.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Following on from a valuable post by the Prof regarding CRA & Warranty and not wanting to detract from it, as a layman are you able to define what is meant by body integrity on a caravan? The Cambridge dictionary states that “Integrity” relates to "being honest and strong moral principles" or a state of “being whole and undivided”. It does seem that the caravan industry has its own definition of the word and this can be open to different interpretations which could be of benefit to a consumer.

In addition manufacturers also add a clause which generally states that the water ingress warranty only applies to water ingress through any permanently sealed seam joints. I would think that the term “permanently sealed seam joint” should include locker surrounds, panel joins etc as bonded joints should be considered to be permanent joints. Not being an engineer what is regarded as a permanently sealed joint as there seems to be a number of interpretations depending on materials used.

If locker surrounds, panel joins, etc are not permanently sealed seam joints although it is a join between two materials would that mean that at some point in their life it is expected that they will fail allowing water ingress? This could be between weeks, months or years.

The above could be contrary to what one reads in a sales brochure reagrding warranty on damp issues and body integrity. I am asking as I am unsure and would like opinions from others who have worked in assembly or engineering what they regard as "integrity" and "permanently sealed seam joints". Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s not something that will affect things as no definition offered by a forum post is likely to have any bearing on the problem that the caravan owner has. If they have complied with the TCs for servicing and have the required records take it up with the dealer. In the event that they do not gain any satisfaction then I would clearly tell the dealership in writing that in the absence of a valid reason for rejection they will be facing a small claims court claim under CRA 2015.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s not something that will affect things as no definition offered by a forum post is likely to have any bearing on the problem that the caravan owner has. If they have complied with the TCs for servicing and have the required records take it up with the dealer. In the event that they do not gain any satisfaction then I would clearly tell the dealership in writing that in the absence of a valid reason for rejection they will be facing a small claims court claim under CRA 2015.
My post was not in relation to any ongoing disputes. Ii was merely trying to get some input on the definitions of the terms mentioned. Maybe I gabbed too much making it a confusing post?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My post was not in relation to any ongoing disputes. Ii was merely trying to get some input on the definitions of the terms mentioned. Maybe I gabbed too much making it a confusing post?
The terms that you mentioned are defined by the manufacturer in respect of warranty claims.
The buyer is responsible for reading and understanding any terms and conditions before they agree to buy the product.
For a buyer, after reading the small print, if the definitions are unfair or unclear it's up to the buyer to seek clarification or to buy elsewhere.
Nothing that forum members could add will affect a manufacturers terms and conditions which are set out by respective manufacturers.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apologies my question was about opinions of others who have worked in assembly or engineering what they regard as "integrity" and "permanently sealed seam joints". I was not asking them to define the terms in a particular contract, just their general opinion from a layman's point of view.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apologies my question was about opinions of others who have worked in assembly or engineering what they regard as "integrity" and "permanently sealed seam joints". I was not asking them to define the terms in a particular contract, just their general opinion from a layman's point of view.
For me “ integrity “ meant that sea water stayed on the outside of the vessel. But it adds little to any discussion on caravan matters.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I get your point as many terms can be subjective. I think in terms of warrantees the final adjudicator would be the courts. Sadly I don’t think sufficient complaints reach that point in order to establish certainty through precedent.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Legally unless a word is given a specific definition in relevant legislation then the one in The Standard Oxford Dictionary would apply. I think the one used would be “being whole and undivided” which would be taken to mean faults like water ingress would probably be regarded as covered by it, although it is possible it would be limited to actual faults that might put the structure at risk. Without a case on the subject it is not certain but any ambiguity is taken against those providing the wording so I doubt any manufacturer would want to contest that except in certain specific cases, or as test one..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts