Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have just been checking my car for recalls on the YouGov website. It has one outstanding which is to replace a potentially faulty brake light switch. The recall came out after the previous owner last had the car serviced. Reading up on the problem it seems that silicates used in cleaning materials can affect the switches contacts and cause it to fail. Common materials being siliconised dashboard sprays or even the agents used in dangling air fresheners provided by car valeters etc. Being automatic the switch enables both engine start and gear selection from Park. Some owners manage a work around by pumping the brake pedal. I will get the car booked in for the job.

As a society we can be slow learners as many years ago some Royal Navy nuclear submarines suffered problems on their motor generator sets. These were eventually traced to silicate deposition on contact surfaces. A restriction was placed on the use of deodorants by the crew, although one Captain refused to follow that line. Preferring to have a sweet smelling boat. :unsure:

So no more underarm Foofoo juice for me until the new switch is in place.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a submarriner mate who was a diver, and the team, wore their socks until the end of their tour. Divers and Helicopter Engineers get on very well, a Breed apart.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Oc this should be in the chit chat . Area glad you said "Boat" as well😉

Oops. Perhaps Parksy or Damian could move it across. Although the fundamental core of the thread was Tow car related ( sort of) re the effect of silicates on electrical contacts.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I had a submarriner mate who was a diver, and the team, wore their socks until the end of their tour. Divers and Helicopter Engineers get on very well, a Breed apart.
Would that be because neither changed their socks until the end of their tour Hutch? 🤧

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts