Detachable Tow Bars / Breakaway Cables - Warning

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a detachable tow bar? Do you have a caravan with an Al Ko Kober Chassis? Do you have the correct breakaway cable fitted? Not sure? - Read on.....

My wife and I bought a Peugeot 4007 4x4 to tow our first caravan (we are complete novices).The 4007 was later fitted with a Peugeot detachable tow bar by the Peugeot dealer because the drop down section of the tailgate would hit a fixed tow bar.

When I got the car home and had a play with the tow ball I saw that the instructions showed an eye should have been fitted to the side of the bracket up under the bumper for the breakaway cable to be clipped to.There was no eye and the blurb in the 'Getting Started' caravan leaflet said that looping the cable of the tow ball was the preferred method and that the manufacturer / supplier must be contacted before doing otherwise.

First thing next morning I spoke to the Al Ko Technical Department who told me under no circumstances was I to clip the cable to the eye even if one became available.The reasons being:

1. The clip is not designed to withstand the strain of a caravan breaking away from the tow vehicle unless the cable is looped round the tow bar and clipped back on itself in the manner of a dogs choke lead.If the cable is not looped the clip will fail before the caravan brake is fully applied and the caravan could career on down the road with potentially serious consequences.

2.Al Ko do make a cable with a clip suitable for direct clipping (for the Swedish market) which is available from their web site but it is the same length as their standard cable.This means that if the eye described in the instructions were fitted and I clipped the cable directly to it,its position so far forward of the tow ball would almost certainly result in the caravan brakes being applied as my car went round corners and the cable tightened due to a lack of slack.This in turn could, in the course of the journey,cause the brakes to burn out since,as my car is sufficiently powerful,I probably would not notice the increased resistance as the brakes are gradually ratcheted on at each corner.

I re-read the instructions and saw that the tow bar was made by a company called Brink.Their Technical Department told me under no circumstances to loop it over the tow ball and that I should clip it directly to a hole at the rearmost end of the bracket as they did not fit the eye described in the instructions any more.

I went back to Al Ko and told them what Brink were saying.I then ordered the Swedish clip (Al Ko Part No.1220984 - Breakaway Cable with Caribena Clip) and said I would get the caravan dealer to fit it prior to collection of the caravan and tow the rig in the yard through some tight turns to ensure that there is sufficient slack in the cable to prevent the caravan brake being applied.

So if you have the standard Al Ko clip on your breakaway cable you should not clip it directly to the tow vehicle or tow bar and even if you get the clippable clip you may inadvertently apply the caravan brakes when cornering if the attachment point is more than a few centimetres from the towball.I have not tested mine out yet as we are not due to collect the caravan till Thursday 230409.(If the brakes do come on I will gain some slack by attaching a D shackle to the hole in the tow bar bracket and clipping the cable to the D shackle.)

This is a very long story cut very short (I have edited out all the phone calls,meetings and considerable angst involved in this tale).

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
David

Interesting points you raise. My last two tugs have had detachable towbars (both BMW 525d Tourings). The towbars were fitted by independent tow bar fitters listed by Towsure from whom they bought the bars. In both cases I've only ever looped the breakaway cable over the swan neck of the bar as neither bar was fitted with a pigtail or eye for this cable. Never had any problems, but then I've never had a van detach itself from the car in 23 years of caravanning at home and abroad, towing big 26' twin axles and now smaller 16' single axle vans. Provided you make absolutely certain that the hitch head is properly attached to the bar, and the bar is correctly locked onto the car then the breakaway cable should be there only as a fail safe. Has anyone else on the Forum ever had a van detach itself from the towbar?

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Brink are certain that their detachable tow bars will not detach - provided the user has locked them in place correctly.

Nonetheless they insist that the breakaway cable should be clipped - not looped.If the caravan did detach itself (as has happened to a friend of mine who has been caravanning for a few years) and it was found that the breakaway cable had not been attached in accordance with the maker's instructions then the insurance company might balk at paying out.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
My Witter removable towbar has 2 large holes for the breakaway but they are not large enough to pass the cable clip though to double back on to the cable. what is needed perhaps is a shackle though the hole for the cable?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It has always been stated that if you have no means of clipping the breakaway cable then you can loop it around the towball.

It has been covered before the 2 types of Alko breakaway cable.

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello David. My local caravan shop sells the break-away cable you require. I bought one for our new Bailey(not new now!), to clip direct to the "eye" on my Landrover Disco. If this was too short(which it isn't on my set-up),I would use a pair of shackles and a piece of chain to extend the length.

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
David,

Thanks for posting your experience.

Just to clarify AL-KO's position on the breakaway cable, we as a company do recommend that you loop the cable over the towball. We do this because of the different styles of towbars currently available on the market and there is no specific legislation governing the positioning of the direct attachment point (an eye or a hole) to attach the breakaway cable to.

we have found that in some circumstances, the eye or hole can be set back quite a distance under the tow vehicle meaning the cable is being pulled tighter more frequently and thus applying the brakes more often on the caravan.

I hope this helps to clarify things a little better.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

Marketing Manager

AL-KO Kober Limited

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Regarding looping the break-away over the towball; personally I would never do this as the "loop" could over-ride the caravan hitch making the set-up useless.

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
What exactly do you mean by this ?? I have been caravanning for over 30 years and never had a real problem. During the last 8 years, because of a detachable towbar I have had no other option but to loop my cable around the towbar. There has never been a problem with it and I don't expect the "quality" towbar to shear away from the fitting on the car to bring the break away cable into play.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I think what Laurie is saying that if the hitch head were to "bounce" off the tow ball what is to stop the cable bouncing off at the same time? This is the reason I bought a carabina type cable from Alko and fitted a dedicated anchor point to my tug.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a Brinkmatic detachable towball and the welded bracket for the breakaway cable is not large enoough to pass the clip end of the cable through and back on itself. So I removed the cable clip and use a spring latched carabineer which passes through the Brink welded barcket and locks the cable back on itself. Cost about

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Update:

The dealer replaced the standard cable with the clippable cable and and we collected the caravan on Thursday.After the dealer handover we had a lesson with an instructor who showed us how to hitch up.He clipped the cable to the hole in the Brink Detachable Towbar (as per my conversation with the Brink technical advisor) There was plenty of slack (as per my conversation with Brink) - even when the car was turned to the point where the hitch was within an inch of the back of the car.So all is well that ends well.

Apparently I have gone over old ground with this one but this issue is not as well known as you might think.The Caravan Club Technical Advice person and the Caravan Club Legal Advice persons I spoke to after my conversations with Brink and Al Ko had not heard of this problem before nor had my Peugeot Dealer.Peugeot Uk refused to talk to me and referred me to my dealer who put the question up on what they call their 'Dealers Forum' a reply was received by this medium from an unknown dealer saying clip it but did not say what the authority for this advice was so given the potential insurance and legal implications I decided to carry on with my own enquiries.

The cable I ordered from Al Ko was delayed so I decided to source one myself.My caravan dealer did not carry it.The 2 Bailey Dealers I consulted were unaware of this problem but one said he thought they might have a clippable cable in stock but was not sure.When I asked him to confirm the Al Ko part no. he could not because it only came with a part no.from his parts supplier.He provided me with the tel.no of this supplier who confirmed that the cable they supplied to the dealer was indeed the one I wanted.My wife and I then drove 40 miles to the dealer and bought the cable for just over a fiver and took it straight to my dealer so they could fit it.

Phew!!

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I have a curly pig tail bolted to my towbar that I bought from a dealer some years ago.

My breakaway cable passes through the pigtail and then clips back on its self.

These pigtails are still on sale at many dealers

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I have had the same dilemma (as I suspect most people do) on my last two cars. I had a Witter fixed bar fitted to my Peugeot 407 and a factory fitted removable bar to my current Audi A4 Avant.

Both have the same problem, the only way is over the towball.

Bill D.

G

I may be taking a jaundiced view of this but I am not too sure why people are getting so concerned.

The breakaway cable is there to apply the brakes in the event of the towhitch failing and the caravan coming adrift. Now if you consider a caravan weighing about 1.2 - 1.5 tonnes or even more and travelling at speeds of anything up to 70 mph then the inertial movement of such a mass is going to take a heck of a long while to stop, even if the brakes are fully applied. During that time the tow hitch will drop to the ground and the caravan will cartwheel and will be wrecked. At 60 mph the average stopping distance is 73 meters according to the government.

If this was to happen while going at 5 mph around a site then yes, there will be a positive action, but in the real world of the speedy highways I feel that worrying about this is not going to affect the outcome one way or the other.

Just check that the towhitch is secure and the tow bar itself is secure and I am afraid the rest is basically outwith your remit. Attach the cable as best you can with the setup you have

TRENDING THREADS