detachable towing hook

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
I am changing my 54 plate Mondeo for a younger model,(don't tell her indoors!). The one I am considering has a factory fitted detachable tow bar. I have not had one of these before, and so could anyone tell me what to look out for, and what questions I should ask before I make a commitment to buy?

Also the car has the new 15(?) point socket and my 2007/8 caravan has the the old style twin socket electric's. What should I be aware of?

Michael - Derbyshire

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There's nothing special to watch out for with a detachable towball. If it's a used car it would just be worth checking whether the key to lock the towball is still there.

If the car has the new 13 pin socket, it would be worth converting the van to the same system. Also, check whether pins 9 (permanent 12v) and 10 (12v switched by ignition) and the respective earth pins (11 and 13) are connected so that you can run the fridge and charge the caravan battery while towing.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Michael

I am now on my 2nd Mondeo with a detachable tow BALL and have had no problems with either of them just make sure you keep the part that fixes to the bar clean and free from grit ask the dealer to show you how it works (dead easy) or make sure they give you the instructions. As for the 13 pin plug it is so much better as it locks into place with a twist and not likely to pop out, there is an adaptor that goes from the 13 pin plug to the 2,7 pin plugs which was supplied by the car dealer who fitted my Tow bar if not supplied I beleive they cost about

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for that information gentlemen, I'll bear it in mind.

I don't have to make a decision until the middle of the week, but as it's a good deal I am inclined to go ahead with it.

Michael - Derbyshire

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We've got a detachable towball on our C-Max - a Witter and a Ford (Westfalia) on out S-Max. They are both excellent. Takes about 30 secs to fit or remove, leaves the back of the car nice and neat and there's nothing to trip over or get your clothes mucky when putting stuff in the boot

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
I have now got the car and have had some instruction on how to fit the towing hook. I agree Dave it does look much neater without it in place, especially as the electric point folds up under the bumper too.

The sellers also threw in a two plug to one plug adaptor as well as a spare number plate for the caravan, so when we have had time to get used to the car solo, we can give our "outfit" a trial run. I have booked the caravan in for a service next week so I hope that the snow will have gone by then (said with fingers crossed!)

Michael - Derbyshire

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
Rabfaetheblae

I traded in my 54 plate Mondeo Ghia TDCI 2 litre 130 whatevers, (we used to say BHP but this has now changed) for an 09 plate Mondeo Titanium TDCI 2 litre 140 whatevers. I've only had it since yesterday (4th Jan.) and what with the snow and all I've only driven it from the dealership in Coalville to home, and down to the supermarket this morning. So am feeling a bit frustrated.

My last Mondeo towed our caravan on our holidays round France (4 times) and Germany (twice) as well as to places in Britain, and proved to be a willing towcar. As the new one had such good reviews in the CC towcar of the year competition the other year I thought that I would take the plunge.

This year we are planning to travel down to Barcelona so it will be a good tryout.

Regards

Michael - Derbyshire

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I had a 53 plate Mondeo Ghia TDCI 2 litre 130 and it was great for towing my van but i have now got a 2.2 titanium x sport, and i love it but ive not actually towed with it yet, i was a bit worried about the sports suspension but i have read on ford forums that its fine, heres the site its great for finding out bits and pieces http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showforum.php?fid/171/ anyway hope the weathers better soon so you can go and play in your new toy.

Regards Rab

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
A detachable is much neater looking ,i only take my off once every 2 months to grease the fitting, i leave it on as is saves people bumping into the back of my car,they get an early warning.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Leaving a detachable towball on only has an advantage in very minor shunts, at well below walking pace. If the impact is more severe, it can actually cause more damage as the bumper is no longer able to absorb energy, but the car's underbody will get the full whack and repairing the underbody is a lot more expensive than the bumper.

Note that it is illegal to leave a detachable towball on the vehicle when not towing in Italy.

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
Just as an update, now that the snow has just about gone from our corner of Derbyshire, I have managed to take my caravan in for its annual service (about 40 miles round trip). I am quite confident that my new car with its detachable tow hook will prove to be as good as the old one. However I didn't realise that it was necessary to remove the paint from the towball before use, and so I've had to have new pads fitted to the Alko device by the service engineers.

Michael - Derbyshire

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We have a Witter detachable, its great. But, no where to attach the safety cable, till now I have looped it round the ball, ok, but not best. (some say it is illegal in Germany?) In other threads a while back some use a shackle on the large (but not large enough) lug on each side of the bar where the detachable ball goes in. This what I intend to do for the new season.

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
Chris

I did not know whether or not it is illegal to loop the safety cable around the towball in Germany. Perhaps Lutz can enlighten us? However the lugs that I have either side of the opening for the towball bracket are certainly large enough for me to fix the safety cable fastener.

Michael - Derbyshire

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a Witter detachable and to secure the brekaway cable, I sawed the threads off a high tensile bolt of a diameter that would pass through the holes either side of the hitch (I think about 14mm),then drilled through the plain end to take an 'R' clip.I simply hold the looped cable and pass the bolt through the lugs with the cable between then pop on the 'r' clip.Effective solution. If any further details required I would need an E Mail address to forward photies.

Derek

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Good idea Derek. I wonder if you can buy pins like that. Michael, the standard breakaway cable clip is not strong enough to clip directly onto the lugs it has to be looped back on itself. You can apparently buy however a stronger version which can be clipped directly, I've not seen one but have seen it refered to as a "carabina type"

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a Witter detachable and to secure the brekaway cable, I sawed the threads off a high tensile bolt of a diameter that would pass through the holes either side of the hitch (I think about 14mm),then drilled through the plain end to take an 'R' clip.I simply hold the looped cable and pass the bolt through the lugs with the cable between then pop on the 'r' clip.Effective solution. If any further details required I would need an E Mail address to forward photies.

Derek
I've now posted a photo of the bolt for information.

Derek

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts