Detachable

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
When attaching my tow ball, I always give the mechanisms socket a good blast, with break cleaner, to make sure there is nothing in there.

Just wondering, do any of you spray grease in there at any time?

At the very least it would keep the weather out.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My Westfalia detachable towbar came with this
When i detach my towbar i put this in the hole
it stops anything getting in..

Attachments

• DSC02923.JPG
    DSC02923.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I mentioned to Witter that the handbook had no maintenance instructions. They said it was maintenance free but the socket needed to be kept clean. So I clean it periodically with a stiff nylon bottle brush and spray ACF 50 before refitting the plastic cap. The detachable section I just wipe clean with a cloth and periodically use some lock lubricant. That’s it.

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My Westfalia detachable towbar came with this
When i detach my towbar i put this in the hole
it stops anything getting in..
Yes, I have a cover on mine and that keeps most of the weather out but, it still show rust., never been a problem, just wondering. I shall continue the use plenty of the brake cleaner.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Must admit mine has been left attached since March. However, I was told no grease or oil .It attracts the dirt that can cause long term problems. Before March I did use brake cleaning spray carefully to keep the hidden bits clean. For the winter I will remove it and fit the plastic cover which is not dirt or water proof!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
My Towtrust is specific - NO LUBE! I have a removable because the drive is short and I'd dent the garage door every time, I remove the ball every time, and replace the cap. I had difficulty getting the ball to engage first time this year (about 3 weeks ago) and fixed it by wiping the socket out with kitchen roll

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My Towtrust is specific - NO LUBE! I have a removable because the drive is short and I'd dent the garage door every time, I remove the ball every time, and replace the cap. I had difficulty getting the ball to engage first time this year (about 3 weeks ago) and fixed it by wiping the socket out with kitchen roll
Our Tow Trust has a cover that clips over the opening so no issue. I remove the towball every time we are finished towing even if only stopping for 2 nights. No shin banging and blue air.
Our previous Jeep had a Brink detachable. I removed it shortly after I purchased the vehicle and then had a terrible time getting it back on to lock properly. Never took it off again in the 6 years we owned the Jeep.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts