Details of two new Bailey Unicorns

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Just in case you missed this news story posted on our front page a few days ago here it is again.

Two new island fixed beds have been added to the Unicorn range for 2012. We say better late than never!

We are going to see vans very soon so should hopefully be able to give you our views/reviews in time for the NEC show.

Thanks, Stacie

Bailey Caravans has boosted its Unicorn range ahead of the forthcoming NEC show.

/sites/practicalcaravan.com/files/images/314.jpgThe Bristol-based manufacturer has added two new island-bed layouts to its range-topping line-up, taking the total number in the Unicorn range to seven and plugging a hole in the range which has existed since the Senator Virginia and Lousiana were retired in 2009.

The models both offer similar layouts to those Senators. The main difference between the two new caravans is that the Cabrera has a single-axle chassis whereas the Pamplona is a twin-axle.

Both have island beds at the back of the caravan, two-part washrooms split across the aisle of the van, offside kitchens and conventional front lounges. The Pamplona's extra body length allows for a longer front lounge with a centre chest, and a double-height fridge freezer on the offside adjacent to the entrance door. Other than these features, the models share the same excellent specification, value and industry-leading body warranty with other Unicorn tourers. Prices are yet to be announced but are likely to match other Unicorns of the same body size, meaning Cabrera and Pamplona are likely to cost £19800 and £21600 respectively.

The new models are the first island bed models from Bristol since the the short-lived transverse bed Pegasus I 554 ceased production in 2010.
Island bed caravans
Island bed layouts have proved difficult for manufacturers to get right in standard width bodyshells and the variety of configurations available from different manufacturers shows that no-one is sure of the best way.

Running beds across the caravan allows for a full-width rear washroom in the caravan but there isn't space for a full-size fixed bed. Lunar, Swift and Sterling all offer transverse island bed models, most of have rear-washrooms.

Beds attached to the rear wall of the caravan running front-to-back are the more traditional arrangement. Elddis, Buccaneer, Coachman and now Bailey all offer conventional longitudinal island-beds but the compromise is generally the centre washrooms. They reduce the feeling of space in the centre of the caravan, making even quite large tourer feel tight for interior space. Which type of fixed bed you go for depends on whether the size of the bed or the size of the washroom is your priority.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Stacie, it's lovely to see you on the forum
waveyellow.gif
and we'll look forward to finding out what you think of the new Unicorn fixed bed models.

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Parksy, we will keep you all updated.

Thanks also for the warm welcome, I am looking forward to becoming more of a regular fixture on here.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
we like that kind of layout as grandchildren could use the loo without going through the bedroom,hopefully they'll have one at the NEC to view as it looks like the layout for us

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
That is a very good point, it would work well for me as well in that respect as I have two little ones that come away with me on work trips.
I personally haven't had the chance to have a look at them yet either but I'm 100% sure the new vans will feature at the NEC so we should get the chance to poke around. Are you planning on buying a new van at the show then this year?

The Practical Caravan team will be there all week as well so please feel free to pop along to our stand and say hello.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you need some Forum contributors to 'Test Drive' them - do let us all know! I'm sure you'd have loads of volunteers!
Adria have been offering a very similar layout - the 612DP - which we looked at a couple of years ago at the NEC.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Elddis Crusader Cyclone is new for 2012 and that's got an interesting island bed layout. £££££££££££ though...

Worth a look at the NEC though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts