Dewi Sant

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes it is St. David's Day but the Queen was not wearing the daffodil at Cardiff today. What do you people think of the new Assembly building. In my opinion it is a total waste of money. The old county council offices in Greyfriers Road Cardiff would have been more suited, more central and a hell of a lot cheaper. The original estimate was for

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Just quick before I go.

Either Welsh, Scots or English parliament building is fine by me providing two of the others go!

This Island is to small for the expense of 3, if we all can't get on together what hope is there for Europe?

Signed up to the "bigger picture" of Europe but then they devolve to smaller assemblies and even more beauracracy, what a load of Bill Shut and Waste.

The only real benefit is jobs for the politico boys! ;-) Whilst we all pay more :-(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin,

You mention the old offices in Greyfriars Road, but how about the other options they took and spent loadsa money on.

There was the Coal Exchange Building that was refurbished for many shekels before the devolution bill was passed and then found to be not suitable.

Then came the Pierhead Building bought from Associated British Ports for a penny before a lot more was spent on refurbishing, again found to be unsuitable.

Lets hope this building is OK, but don't hold your breath!

I wonder if the powers that be will come out with the full cost including the aborted projects and all the feasibility studies that we have paid for.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As long as theres the likes of Rhodri Morgan, Alex Salmond and Ken Livingstone what can you expect. They are only interested in their own personal empires. Politics in Britain are an ass. Wheres the sense in Scottish MPs voting on English law but English/Welsh MPs can't vote on Scottish law. A typical example was Reid voting for a total ban on smoking in public places in Scotland but only a partial ban in England - totally stupid. In my opinion the problem would be solved if the Houses of Parliament could me moved, lock, stock and barrel, to either Edinburgh or Cardiff, its the fact its in England that sticks in the throats of the nationalists.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. I agree with you 100%. The political scene in the UK at present is an ass. As you say there are Scottish MPs voting on policies perculier to England and Wales, etc., etc. The political figures are empire building and lining their own pockets with both cudos and money - mind who can blame them as at the end of the day they are going to be given the glory and the money (not counting a peerage to the upper house as one of Blair;s lapdogs). At ont time in Wales we had a retired engine cleaner who had the power of being a local councilor, county councilor and Lord. He could sign in at the council/county council offices and claim expenses at each and then on his free train pass *** up to HQ and sign in inthe Upper House and again claim expences - no need to attend meetings ( a nice day out at tax payers expence).

Clive you have raised a good point, I forgot about the monies spent on the other possible home to the Assemnly. Probably if it was all added up it would be over

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts