Diesel exhaust

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Our diesel Nissan Terrano exhaust sprays a fine black deposit over the front of the van even when it has just had a service. Friends with diesel 4x4s of various makes seem to suffer the same problem. I was thinking it might be improved if I could find a tail pipe add-on that directs the exhause downwards instead of straight back at the van.

Looking around the web I have only found suppliers of whizzo chrome tail pipe add-ons that are primarily about looking good and none that turn the direction through 90 degrees as I want. Has anybody else tried this solution, and where did you get your tail pipe?

Thanks,

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think you will find that anything that deflects the exhaust down will only work when the car is stationary. As soon as you are on the move, the airflow under the car will bring it back up again.

There are only two solutions, 1.) you put a removable cover on the front of your 'van, or 2.) you change your car to a more modern one with a diesel particulate filter.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Thanks all for the responses, the formula4 page is just what I was looking for (chrome excepted) and had failed to locate. But Brian and Swiftman, does it work? If so, I shall make a shiny investment and hope it doesn't turn my head and tempt me further into go faster stripes etc. If not, then I shall fall back on Lutz's advice (not the new car, some kind of masking.... wonder if a good brand of clingfilm sticks well enough...).

Cheers,

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just fitted a shiny tail pipe /deflector to the X-Trail.

The "caravan" deflectors in Halfords etc fitted the original X but the later ones have a thicker pipe.

I got one of the motor home type from Riversway for

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A down-turned exhaust pipe will protect the car but not the caravan.

When unleaded petrol was introduced a number of car manufacturers found that a straight-cut exhaust caused staining on the bumper above it. Adding a down curve eliminated the problem. Catalytic converters removed the problem so manufacturers reverted to straight outlets.

As Lutz explained, the airflow under, and round the car means that the exhaust particles will still be in the airflow which hits the caravan.

Euro 4 diesels have to meet much stricter particulate requirements as the fine particles from earlier diesels are quite harmful to human health. As older diesels get scrapped the situation will improve but that will of course take a generation.

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
I had the same problem a few years ago with a Ford Sierra 1.8 Turbo Diesel. I put a curved tail pipe extention on but turned it sideways, and that helped a lot.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its all very well to make statements about air flow under car/caravan but are they based on actual testing or the premise that if something is asserted strongly enough then it will be true.

I don't have the information to refute these claims but have found an improvement myself in the past from the use of deflectors.

But hey so what !!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The statements made about air flow were general but conditions vary from outfit to oufit and one may, indeed, be lucky to be able to get by with an exhaust deflector. If it does the trick, so be it, but I wouldn't expect it to solve the problem in all cases. A 'bib' on the front of the caravan, is, however, a certain fix and that's why it was suggested.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz thanks for the reply and regards as always

The real answer if its a big problem is to get the diesel injectors sorted as we had to do in Spain.

These days it could be that prosecution for pollution is a possibility.

Our first X (the one fixed in Spain) would have failed the M O T smoke test had it been over 3 years old.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I read an article on getting injectors cleaned by a firm that blasts them sonically. The results were very good. The picture showed a poor dribble of fuel from the uncleaned injector then the same injector producing a far larger mist/shower spray of fuel after cleaning. It would seem to be a good idea as the injectors themselves are not cheap! So servicing them regularly would make sense.

Works for petrol fuel injectors as well as they suffer from a gum like deposit.

Interesting to see that Spain is cleaning up the "act" for older diesels. On my many travels to Spain my memory was often of sitting in a road side cafe enjoying a drink but whilst smelling the hot diesel fumes from the buses and lorries.

Somehow the smell never seemed as bad in Spain as opposed to England - no idea why?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Sticking or partially blocked injectors can be a source of problem, higher fuel consumption and poor emissions for both petrol- and diesel-engined cars.

Regular use of injection cleaner, eg Redex, works well on petrol injection cars. I add 1ml / litre to a full tank of petrol every 1000 miles. This works very well, even on high mileage engines. It also removes moisture from condensation in the fuel tank.

There is a version of Redex for diesels but I don't have any direct experience of it.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Adding a regular dose of injector cleaner shouldn't cause any problems, and should also help to protect the high pressure fuel pump from wear.

You should be aware that many of the additives are already in premium brand fuels, so you may not want to dose the tank as often if you normally buy from Shell or BP or whoever.

In Holland and Germany you can buy a "water remover" that cleans the fuel tank of water and you simply dose the tank once a year in Summer. But this shouldn't be such a problem with modern petrol - the oxygenated compounds used to boost the octane number also dissolve any water droplets in the fuel.

Robert

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mike,

You could always go to www.dieselveg.com like I did. You have a vehicle which is easily converted I think. I went to visit dieselveg two and a half years ago- never looked back. 50% emissions, no sulphur, no additional CO2 and best of all 27.1p per litre. You might as well have a look. Hope this is helpful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the past we used to use supermarket diesel and add injection cleaner which gave OK results. In the current vehicle I have changed to using BP Ultimate diesel and whilst it is dearer the results are impresive, increased power (not that we need it), improved fuel consumption, and reduced omisions. Added to this I no longer have to purchase injection cleaner every 2500 miles so when you adjust for the price of the cleaner the ultimate diesel is actualy cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts