Diesel Fuel in France

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone know what the difference is in the two grades of diesle fuel frequently foung in France, predominantly on the motorways. I have always used the cheaper option when there was a choice but could this have been the cause of an emmissions problem with my Peugeot 406 ?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John,

Do you remember what was written on the pumps?

If it was a Total fuel station, then you'd have the choice of standard gazole or "Excellium" - a performance diesel well in advance of the standard.

Standard is around Euro 1,10, and Excellium is around Euro 1,20 - or a bit cheaper.

Both of these are to the EN590 standard and will be identical to UK fuel - in fact identical across the whole of Europe - except for winter (anti-waxing) additives.

Another possibility is that one of the fuels was "petrole" - domestic heating oil (paraffin) but you usually only see that in Hypermarkets (and is about 1/2 price of pump diesel)

Or you may have been offered a standard diesel (with 5% bio-diesel) or a higher content bio-diesel (around 20%)

Petrole most certainly will cause a few problems, the others shouldn't.

Robert

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know what the difference is in the two grades of diesle fuel frequently foung in France, predominantly on the motorways. I have always used the cheaper option when there was a choice but could this have been the cause of an emmissions problem with my Peugeot 406 ?

Do not know what kind of emmission problem you had/have, but it should not be linked to any normal diesel found at french m/way service stations.

The cheaper stuff is usually the same as our normal diesel.

Its just as likely that the long run has hi lighted some emmission faults that were already festering.

Egr valve and/or a badly sooted up exhaust system are known emmision problems sources.

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
we were told there was difference between the two diesels the excellium gets you more miles to the gallon didnt believe it but we did, we have a discovery and got an amazing 200 miles extra per tank so try it i dont think you can lose nigel

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
."we were told there was difference between the two diesels the excellium gets you more miles to the gallon didnt believe it but we did, we have a discovery and got an amazing 200 miles extra per tank so try it i dont think you can lose nigel"

200 miles per tank extra. nice one. LOL

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
"we have a discovery and got an amazing 200 miles extra per tank"

I'm sorry but I have been a diesel fitter 42 years and I just cannot accept that you increase the range of any diesel power vehicle by 30% just buy chaning fuel,

Steve W

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Quite agree Steve,

Total Excellium is a 55 cetane fuel, compared to normal EN590 pump diesel with a 51 cetane rating.

If the engine is capable of self-tuning, like some Euro IV cars - then I'd expect a 3% to 5% improvement. If the car was made before Euro III, then around 1% would seem right (in truth no one bothered testing 55 cetane fuel on older cars).

The extra cost and economy of the performance fuels (in a Euro IV) doesn't quite pay you back compared to the standard fuel - but you do also get a performance improvement - and they are very much cleaner fuels.

Robert

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
I have used the more expensive stuff in France and Spain. The car which is 4x4 seems to do more to the gallon. In Spain where the speed limit is 50mph, got 35mpg towing aventura with kia sportage.

A few years ago I filled my Freelander with Supermarket fuel in UK and economy was dire. To me at least proved there was a difference in the stuff you use.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Over many years of caravanning on the continent, we have had some amazingly good MPG figures, I don't believe it's anything to do with the fuel. I think it's due to less traffic and steady motoring without all the stop start, slowing and speeding up that you get using UK roads

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Jason R,

I think your answer is more likely to improve fuel consumption

than by just changing to a more expensive grade. Agreed a combination of both factors could improve fuel efficiency by a considerable amount.

Steve W

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Here are two links to websites giving fuel prices throughout France, which is kept up to date. We found it very useful when in France recently - saving almost 20 centimes per litre by buying at one supermarket petrol station which we'd noted had cheap fuel, on our journey back to the airport, rather than filling-up nearer to where we were staying.

1. http://www.zagaz.com/index.php

2. http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

Warning - looking at current prices could damage your wallet!! (Especially with the reduced value of the

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Guessing that a Disco has a 14 or 15 Gallon tank that's getting on for around 14mpg extra and that when towing I assume!

If oil companies can really get that differnece with a different mix I would have thought everyone would be buying it and the Greenies would be forcing us to by nothing else.

Somehow I think not!

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Going down to Andorra for our annual Ski trip our S-max was doing about 40 mpg with a ski box on top untill we got to Dover, across the channel we filled up with slightly cheaper French diesel and I treated the car to total "excellium" premium diesel and the economy went down to about 38mpg, there were many influential factors but i felt that economy on French diesel was much worse, god knows why, perhaps their winter additives have an effect

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts