Dimpled roof!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After a terrific thunderstorm in Annecy in the French Alps where it rained hail the size of golf balls the whole of the roof of our 4 week old caravan had been dimpled. It looks like it has been hit all over with a toffee hammer. The sun Blinds on the roof vents were also destroyed as we had left them open and the storm came from nothing!Consequently our bed was covered in leaves and ice. Anyway we managed to get the van dried out. Just wondered if this had happened to anyone else and did you have any trouble with your insurance . Friends keep asking if we are insured against an "act of god"? I can't find the original policy so i am panicking a bit as our lovely new van needs a new roof!!

Caroline

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yep. Same thing happened to me about 5 years ago when on holiday in France.

Sun Alliance (as it was called then) paid up without a murmur and the van had a complete new roof.

Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This happens in the UK too..!

A heavy and severe hail storm passed over the storage compound where I keep my van (near Chelmsford) a few weeks ago, and large numbers of 'vans of varying makes have suffered damage to roof and/or side panels. The angle of the van versus the wind direction affected how much damage was inflicted. I've got a 2 yr old Fleetwood and the roof and one side is pock-marked. There were many brand-new vans on a sales forecourt nearby that were damaged too - and are now in the hands of insurers. You should find you are covered by your policy - don't think 'act of god' is actually an exclusion...!! Best of luck. Richard.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
It's happened to me in Austria - TWICE.

Both caravans weren't quite 2 years old at the time, the first one was a write off, it needed a new roof, a whole side and a back panel. Even the toilet cassette door was badly damaged. No trouble with the insurers each time (CIS and caravan club) but it's always a good idea to get the site owners to give you some confirmation in writing about the conditions

TRENDING THREADS