Disco v Mondeo TDDi

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
I've just completed a 2 way trip with my caravan, one way with a Disco' 2.5tdi and the return trip with my Mondeo - the ratio for the Disco is about 59% and around 88% for the Mondy. I can honestly say that I would sooner tow with my Mondeo than the Disco. The outfit was just as stable if not more stable in the same gusty weather conditions. Actual towing performance was very similar possibly just in the Disco's favour (more to do with gear ratios than anything else I reckon). Solo I would much rather drive the Mondeo it's much more stable and the day to day running costs are going to be less.

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that a Mondeo is going to out perform a Disco on a wet and muddy field when trying to get off a a pitch because clearly it isn't. Nevertheless, the occasions over the last 4 years of towing a caravan where I've had a problem is once! Even then with sensible application of the accelerator I managed to get moving.

Some others will say that you can't compare an old Disco (the one I used was a '94 model) with a 2001 Mondeo. I reckon the like for like comparison comes in because of budgets. I like most others have a budget to stick to when buying vehicles and I know my father-in-law paid about the same for the Disco as I paid 3mths later for my Mondeo.

My experience this last week has confirmed for me that unless I need the weight to tow some monster caravan or I decide to go native and go on the road for an extended period, I'll be sticking to my Mondeo.

Jun 4, 2005
Visit site
I got rid of a pajero in favour of a volvo T5 just over a year ago and haven't looked back since. The only thing I did with the paj that I couldn't do with the volvo is tow a 2.5ton generator, which I need to do once a year (last year I borrowed my mates 4x4 for the job). The volvo has more power, more torque and returns a similar mpg to the paj solo and towing. How many wet muddy fields do I get stuck on? none! If I do there are loads of helpful 4x4 owners around to get you out in return for beer etc anyway. I enjoyed the paj when I had it but don't think I'll bother with another one unless like you the weight of the van I own demands it.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
I have only been caravanning for just over a year so have only ever towed with our Disco TD5 and have often wondered how a 'normal' car would be in comparison so the comments you make are interesting. When I hitch up our van to the Disco, the suspension does not move - does the nose weight of a van generally cause a car to drop a bit at the rear?

In our case the weight of the Disco is good for our van - I think if we were to use a car it would have to be quite large to get a suitable 85% match.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts