Dithering French Alps or Slovenia

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Cary and I are dithering about where to go for our 5 week "Euro Hols" this year. We have the Norfolk Line crossing booked out 24 July, home 28 August but nothing else. We don't usually book sites anyway.

We had been thinking about the French Alps, Annecy area, but our eldest son has been extolling the virtues of Slovenia and Cary is fancying that.

We like quiet rural sites with mountains, lake views. We like hiking plus, if possible sea, river or lake where we can use our Zodiac inflatable which has a small outboard motor.

We'd appreciate any/all comments and/or site recommendations for either area.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim (again)

My comment would be "why not do both?"

We have just been away for six weeks, spending a week each in Czech Republic, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. The other two weeks were used up in travelling - max 200 miles per day. We also had a day trip into Slovinia from Austria, visiting Kranska Gora ski resort and Lake Bled.

You could have a couple of weeks in Slovinia, coming back through the Frejus Tunnel (or over the pass!!) to Annecy for a similar amount of time. Both are super areas.

I wish I was going again!!

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Slovenia every time. Beautiful country, stunning scenery, roads relatively quiet, lovely friendly people, great walks, and trout fishing if you are into that (I am). Plenty to see. Stay at Camping Bled overlooking the lake! Good site. Enjoy

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Why not try Southern Austria you have lakes, mountains and beautiful weather. We have just come back from 9 weeks in Germany/Austria we stay up to 5 weeks on one site on the Ossiachersee at Jodl Camping this year our sixth year running. It is wonderful top quality owned by the very friendly Thaler family. You can put your boat on the lake there and swim in the lake too. Weather this year end April to begining June 21 deg to 34 deg. The Dutch couple in front of us were visiting for the 35th year running and spend 6 weeks there.

You can visit Slovenia from there Lake Bled is an hour away from Jodl. Mind you beware you have to pay 35 euros to use the main roads in Slovenia now. We visited using a narrow over the mountains route for the day this year with no costs and it was beautiful.

Austria too compared with most of Europe is cheapest for food, clothes and fuel. We paid 81 cents litre for Diesel in May.

There are dozens of moutain passes to explore by car, cable car, chairlifts and trains. 3 very large lakes. Wothersee being the largest, Weissensee, Millstatersee other than the Ossiachersee and dozens of smaller sees in the area.

If you would like to know any more let me know.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Dianne

We stayed at Camping Parth for our week in Austria - on Ossiachersee, very close to Jodl. This site was also excellent with very nice restaurant, all you can eat BBQ night every Thursday, own jettee for boats, and the Parth family are very friendly/helpful. I think you had the best weather, though, - we had rain practically every day, although mostly in the night or early morning. As you say, easy for day trips into Slovinia, and the road tax can be avoided if you stay on the small roads.

Keith

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Dianne

We stayed at Camping Parth for our week in Austria - on Ossiachersee, very close to Jodl. This site was also excellent with very nice restaurant, all you can eat BBQ night every Thursday, own jettee for boats, and the Parth family are very friendly/helpful. I think you had the best weather, though, - we had rain practically every day, although mostly in the night or early morning. As you say, easy for day trips into Slovinia, and the road tax can be avoided if you stay on the small roads.

Keith
Take a look at this web site www.camping-jodl.at

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts