Do you need to book a pitch?

Mar 16, 2007
Visit site
Well being new to this, I am planning on going to France for a couple of weeks in late May or early July.

I was hoping to spend a bit of time in Normandy, move down to somewhere near Disney for the kids and then return to Normandy area. Do I need to book into sites, or will I be able to find somewhere easy enough at this time of year?

With 3 young children in tow, I don't want to end up in a service station for the night.

We were very much hoping to just take it one step at a time, when we have had enough in one place, just hook up and move.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
In late May you should be Ok anywhere - but in July I'd be looking at booking. The french go on holiday en-masse in July (usually second weekend) and campsites are often fully booked well in advance.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I second what Valerie says - you should have no problems. You will probably want to stop at fairly short notice with little ones in tow (sorry, no pun intended!), so I suggest you have a good site guide so that you can find a nearby site quickly. We have used the CC's Caravan Europe vol 1 for years. I think that's what it is called now, but as I'm at work, I haven't got it with me. It's my lunchbreak for all those who think I might be shirking!

Jo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are off to France May 26th, until July 12th, we did this last year, never booked any sites. The Dordogne area was really good, lot's of room and some sites were nearly empty. Good way to see France before the rest of the Brits get there

Dec 15, 2005
Visit site
It's all relative, surely? If there's a popular site that you have your eye on, then book it to ensure you get a pitch. There's no harm in doing so. If you're not so bothered where you end up, then don't. There are thousands of good quality campsites here, so it's never that hard to be in your general area of choice, but it can be difficult getting the campsite of your choice, especially in the touristy areas and more especially in July/August.

One thing that does miff me slightly as an owner, trying hard to make a living is the attitude that folk can simply 'move on' if there's something they don't like about the site, or the area, or indeed if they just want to explore. Whilst I agree that it's totally in the spirit of camping/caravaning to want to do so, it's hardly going to enamour you to the site owner when you've booked for a week (or more), but get itchy feet after 2 or 3 days. That's potential revenue lost, and can be sometimes hard to re-coup. Just a thought.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I recent years caravanning trips to France revolved around works schedules and I never had the option to book weeks or months ahead. We know of quite a lot of large sites in Europe who always have people coming and going.

If moving around we only ever book one or two nights to start with, if we like a site or area we may ask to stay longer, if the site is booked and we can't stay on that's our problem.

We would only ever book for a long period and expect to move early if there was some site or genuine personal difficulties.

Due to family illness we've left a site in France early and I was offered a refund and had no intention of asking for one as it was our problem not the sites. The site has been repaid time and time again as we have returned as the management is great and we recomend the site to friends and family.

Apr 18, 2007
Visit site
Generally, Municipal Campsites don't even accept reservations. We don't usually book but we do avoid mid-July to end of August.

An excellent campsite 20 minutes drive from Disney is International de Jablines - Website http://www.camping-jablines.com/gb.html. You may be ok in May without booking but it is a must in July. 2 years ago we turned up very early in July, just after lunch, and only just got in.

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
We've tried the "just turn up somewhere" route and although we've been very lucky, it has sat heavily on my mind during the journey and the apprehension that we may end up in a lay-by (with three young children) has spoilt my enjoyment.

We've recently stayed at Camping Quatre Vents near Disneyland and can thoroughly recommend the site. Our pitch was enormous and we received the friendliest welcome we have ever received on a site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts