Does anyone else do 'daft' things when away in their van???

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I wondered if anyone was as daft as my husband ... 9 of us plus a dog have just returned from a weekend away at Moreton in Marsh where we celebrated my parents 45th Wedding Anniversary in their newly acquired converted camper van (named Sapphire after their Anniversary), their friends 41st Anniversary, our neighbours 35th Anniverary and our son's 16th Birthday. OH (being a Chef) was in charge of the main course with everyone contributing to nibbles, salad, spuds and puddings. He even made a massive chocolate cake complete with candle for the joint celebrations. Anyway, I digress ... we decorated the awning with fairy lights, put 3 tables together with nice cloths, had serviettes and candles, music and some heaters so you can imagine the ambiance. Then all hell broke loose as OH decided to meet the 'guests' at the door of the awning wearing a union jack bowler hat, black dj, flashing red bow tie, full white dress shirt, union jack shorts, black socks (pulled up), complete with paper 'frills' and black slip on shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cue much hilarity and laughter when the guests clocked our neighbour who was similarly attired minus the black dj and shorts. The men posed together for photos (god knows what the other people thought) and we had a lovely evening where everyone appreciated the effort gone into celebrating 121 combined years of marriage and my son celebrated the thought of eating the remains of the chocolate cake to himself as everyone else, dog included, were stuffed full. I sat there, surrounded by my family and dear friends and thought that I wished we'd taken the plunge and bought the caravan years ago. We had so much fun and the weekend didn't cost an absolute fortune. I just dread what he's going to dress up in next (I blame the years in the Navy).
smiley-wink.gif
Oh and forgot to say that even the dog had a union jack bandana on!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It looks as though you had a great time Lisa
smiley-laughing.gif

It goes to show that caravanning can be a great way to enjoy good times with your friends and family.
Any chance of posting some of the pictures on the forum?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My most strupid trick was having hitched up on site I walked round the caravan to check all was Ok and went to get in the car. Must have been working too hjard as I got in the back door. As ever I had an audience , two ladies walking passed and one tremarked "should have gone to specsavers"

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Been doing these 'stupid things' now for some 35 years. From dancing on fields with your 'wellies' on under an umbrella, awning parties, welly wanging, dodging cow pats! you name it we've done it!
We call it rallying!!!
Going rallying again Monday upto Keswick (Lake District) for a week, we're not so "stupid" now, a bit more laid back, watch others do it, but can still "muck" in and enjoy it.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
You all sound as daft as we are then! Even my 16 year old son 'accidentally' walked into the ladies in the newer toilet block on site (hmmm)
smiley-embarassed.gif
red faces all round there! I will be posting said photo's on here - give me a couple of days to get that sorted. I'm glad we are not alone and would certainly enjoy meeting some of my fellow forum members who wouldn't give us looks as if we'd actually lost the plot. Off to Lucksall this weekend but we are not planning on any formal evening attire!

Loved the comments about the kids and the wife!
smiley-wink.gif

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Quote - "Still don't see the point of doing it which is why we don't go on rallies."
I would think there's lots of ralliers who will be grateful for that!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I go on rallies but I've never wanged a welly in my life!
Done lots of other silly things though, egg throwing can be fun
smiley-embarassed.gif

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that Parksy, here we go! Oh dear
smiley-yell.gif
my work computer is not liking this at all I am not at all sure I will be able to upload my photos.
smiley-cry.gif

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
NewImage1.jpg

Woohoo have finally managed to master Photobucket and the uploading of photos! So pleased
smiley-smile.gif
This is my husband John (in the shorts), our neighbour and his dog Barney.

NewImage.jpg

I think all the years living underwater in a submarine obviously had an effect on my OH! Happy times indeed.

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Great legs!
Glad you manged to upload the photos on here in the end. The story conjured up great images, so it was good to put a face to the tale.

Look forward to using these in the magazine as well.

Stacie

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
soldlisa04 said:
Thanks for that Parksy, here we go! Oh dear
smiley-yell.gif
my work computer is not liking this at all I am not at all sure I will be able to upload my photos.
smiley-cry.gif
I knew that you'd get there in the end Lisa, well done!
I've tweaked the size of the photos slightly so that our ladies can have the pleasure of your hubby so to speak
smiley-laughing.gif

When your o/h was a submariner did he have to listen to that annoying Piiinnnggg Piiinnnggg sound that we hear on the films all day?

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Parksy - OH was a P.O. Chef and also the Planesman (he 'drove' the sub) so yes, I would imagine that he would have to listen to that annoying sonar noise! Some of the tales he's told over the 10 years I've been with him have had me in tears of laughter, even after listening to them over and over - I really ought to write a book! Apparently, there is a gas that's emitted on board that 'preserves' the fruit and veg for longer than on land - I think it must have had a good effect on the submariners as John certainly doesn't look (or indeed act) his age!

Surfer - ha ha, underwater gurgling, now there's a thought!
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
We all dressed in early 70s gear for the Royale Club 40th anniversary, and did the full black tie thing in the marquee for dinner.
We always do the black tie for our AGM dinner, and it appears it's now traditional for the Royale-ists to dress for dinner for the ACCEO AGM as well.
We also did water divining at a rally, we've had mini-olympics,and cave picnics (!)
Pretty much anything for a laugh, and if it provides amusement for others on site, then so much the better.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
One other I forgot about; Pea-ing down with rain one night, my brother and I helped a young couple put up their obviously brand new tent. We were all soaked to the skin by the time we'd done, so bro and I stripped to our shorts, grabbed some soap and showered in the rain!

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Ooer - would have paid good money to see men soaping up in the rain lol! It sounds as if we're as daft as you lot are! Long may it continue, life's too short and nasty not to have a laugh and let your hair down. After all, it's not hurting anyone is it???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts