Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
we are on holiday at the cc site in morton in marsh. twice in two days have i walked dog poo into our van.
it is very close to our car and van but i am unable to find it due to all the fallen leaves on the ground. it is not from our dog , it is not the type. it means that someone has let their dog leave its droppings and has not cleaned up afterwards. if the dog was on a lead it is difficult not to notice that the dog as stopped for a reason. perhaps they had no means to pick it up. we seem to have poo bags in every pocket.
it does give all dog owners a bad name when the poo is not picked up.
pete, a happy camper with a moan...... :angry:

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
We were down near Swanage over the half term week and someone had let their dog leave a sausage on the grass of the children’s play area…. Not every dog owner is responsible however and the ones that aren’t are a pain in the ‘arris.
On a lighter note I once had a Jack Russell dog **** it’s leg up against the tent I was folding away on our local park… true story. We had gone to the park as our garden wasn’t really big enough to lay the tent flat… apparently I shouldn’t have been folding my tent up on a field where people walk their dogs if I didn’t want it weeing on… lol.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Being a responsible dog owner, other people's dog's mess is probably my number one hate.
We have a delightful walking area near here, very popular with dog owners. Three years ago some mindless morons set fire to the plastic dog poo bin.
I lobbied the local council for a replacement, but to no avail, until a friend of mine became Mayor last year. What is the point of having friends if you don't use them? So I nagged at him.
Three months later, we got a big red shiny dog poo bin........................in the wrong place! However, a bit more nagging at Mr Mayor, and it was moved to the location of the original bin.
So, can someone please explain why almost every day there are piles of dog mess on the path within 20 yards of the new bin? Sometimes I despair of my fellow man (&woman).

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
hi everybody, thank you for your replies.
i caught a lady this morning alongside our van letting her dog do its business . she started to walk away and i asked her: have you not got any poo bags: she had not. she did not expect her dog to go twice in one morning.
i offered her some bags from our awning and we tried to find the deposit among the leaves. due to the fact that she had walked away from the spot we were unable to find it. i gave her the bags in case of any further deposits.
my good deed for the day.

regards, pete.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Sorry but response to this is report them to the site warden, we've had issues with these people on cc cl's, one woman let her dog p up our awning, a man let his dog drop its anus next to my car, he never saw me looking out of my van, so I waited until darkness descended and returned it at the base of their steps, my only regret was not seeing his face the next morning.

Sean.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi again,

As wardens I am in despair at dog owners, if it wasn't so disgusting it would be amusing how when challenged the owner was always going to return with a bag in a minute. Yet another warden gripe. :(

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Why not leave them in kennels?
A nice little holiday for them also, meeting new friends,and yapping till their heart is content,and not keeping the whole camp site awake.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
SheffSean said:
Fortunately not all dog owners are the same though, most, or at least the ones I've come across are responsible, we certainly were.

Sean.
The problem that the responsible owners have is that picking up dog tvrds doesn't make news or something to gripe about so never gets reported. I am in no doubt that responsibles outnumber the irresponsibles by a fair margin but it only take one child to walk into you van and put a tvrdy trainer up against the upholstery...

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Y
saint-spoon said:
SheffSean said:
Fortunately not all dog owners are the same though, most, or at least the ones I've come across are responsible, we certainly were.

Sean.
The problem that the responsible owners have is that picking up dog tvrds doesn't make news or something to gripe about so never gets reported. I am in no doubt that responsibles outnumber the irresponsibles by a fair margin but it only take one child to walk into you van and put a tvrdy trainer up against the upholstery...

Of coarse your totally right and I couldn't have put it better myself.

Sean.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Whilst this is an age-old problem isn't it time that site owners started to charge for dogs?
It's not uncommon these days to see 2 or even 3 dogs with one unit.Sometimes there are more dogs on site than campers! Charging just might reduce the numbers and income generated might go towards the cost of cleaning up and wardens' time dealing with complaints about dogs
I don't support banning dogs - it takes all sorts, but I would welcome some support for what has become a minority group among - campers, namely the non-dog owner.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Quite a lot of sites do charge for dogs, and some sites ban dogs during school holidays, I certainly dont mind them doing that, lets face it there are adults only sites. Responsible owners always pick up, I know that unfortunatley at times my dog has laid a log whilst tied up (whilst I am filling Aqua roll etc) and I havnt noticed it until later but it is always withing the 2 meters of the leash and I constantly check on him.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I am the owner of 2 dogs and I also am a responsible owner..I can't speak or write for other owners but I have to disagree with whoever wrote saying to put them into kennels. One of our dogs is a rescue dog and he was housed in a dog pound for a month given a plastic bottle to amuse himself with. We rescued him called him Brian and he's a big teddy bear so loving he is and I cudnt go away in our cvan without either of them. Brian had to be put into kennels for 1 week while we visited over in England and he couldnt get out that door quick enough when we picked him up. Obviously the people who complain about man's best friend are those who don't own a dog. Get one and just see how much unconditional love they have to give.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Momo said:
Obviously the people who complain about man's best friend are those who don't own a dog.

Not necessarily so. I have two of the hairy monsters and wouldn't part with them but still have complaints about certain dogs, or more accurately, certain owners of some dogs. The ones who don't clean up after their dogs, the ones who think the "dogs on leads" rule doesn't apply to them, the ones who allow their dogs to bark continuously for no real reason, the ones who when out for a walk don't keep their pets under control and allow them to go charging up to other walkers and their pets. Not really the dogs fault, the owners need training as much as the dogs. But agree wholeheartedly with you about the unconditional love they give.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Robtel said:
Momo said:
Obviously the people who complain about man's best friend are those who don't own a dog.

Not necessarily so. I have two of the hairy monsters and wouldn't part with them but still have complaints about certain dogs, or more accurately, certain owners of some dogs. The ones who don't clean up after their dogs, the ones who think the "dogs on leads" rule doesn't apply to them, the ones who allow their dogs to bark continuously for no real reason, the ones who when out for a walk don't keep their pets under control and allow them to go charging up to other walkers and their pets. Not really the dogs fault, the owners need training as much as the dogs. But agree wholeheartedly with you about the unconditional love they give.

quite agree Rob, dogs are not the problem owners are. we lost ours a few years ago to old age [16] left such a hole in our lives. so much so we decided never to have another one.

but in time one gets over it. when one comes to terms with what they bring. the 4 times a day dog walk [no matter what the weather is] the twice a day hoover up the dog hairs, the vets bills the dearer it gets the older the dog gets.
and "oh you have a dog" when a visitor turns up. because the whole house smells of wet dog. :whistle: not to mention having to find a shady parking spot when out with the dogs as very few places let you take them in.

worth having a dog of course it is. but it is not for everyone,

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I was reading a Spanish local newspaper a couple of weeks ago and one towns solution to dog mess lead to this statement in the paper......DOG owners in Rincón de la Victoria have four months to have a DNA sample taken from their pets. The requirement is included in a new bylaw which was formally published in the Official Provincial Bulletin last Friday.

The town hall says the measure, which has been developed with the College of Veterinarians, will allow owners who fail to clean up after their pets to be traced and fined, by comparing the DNA of samples with the database of dogs in the town.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Well done Spain now UK should catch on. I totally agree with what they have put into action. Some just seem to not care if their dogs mess. But saying that all of the sights we've been on the dog owners have been very good regarding our 4 legged friends over cleaning up after them also keeping them on a leash when walking and permanently them at their own cvans etc on a secured leash. I could count maybe on 2 fingers dogs running free not leashed or poo not being cleaned up. I don't agree with those who are slack in these areas. Just a shame the minority make it look bad for us who do take our doggie responsibility serious.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
One up for the Spanish, they also take rubbish away most days and not every two weeks, we had dogs for years and they also died of old age (17, all three of them) like others have said it is like a family member dying, with dogs on site's no problem if they don't yap and rcpa,

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
We are in danger of being polarised into the doggies and non-doggies, a bit like those with children and those who go to adult only sites. If given a choice I would probably opt for a non-pet area because we have been parked adjacent to a yappy dog which is annoying. But I wouldn’t avoid a site because it allows dogs.
One thing that I feel can be a problem is when folk assume that everyone is as accepting of their pet’s behaviour as they are and then making excuses for them. Yappy dogs that are apparently “only talking to you” and “He’s only being friendly” when a large dog is scaring a small child for example (yes that happened to us). I was on a train a few years back and a chap had a cat that he had let out of the carry cage and was happily sat on the train seat, the owner said that he knew that it was against the rules but that no one really minded; well I am allergic to cats and had to give up my reserved seat and go and stand in another carriage because of his inconsiderate attitude. Slightly off topic I know but it goes to show that some folk really do apply their desires to other peoples’ tolerances when it comes to their pets.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
We are in danger of being polarised into the doggies and non-doggies, ....

Perhaps slightly off topic :dry: but its a matter of fact you are either a dog owner or not, you either have children or not, if your a caravanner you have a single axle or a TA. Such things are not really open to debate, and anyone who is or is not one or more of these should not mind being categorised ( sorry cat owners) :blush: as such.

However being categorised is not really the problem its the stereo typing that others apply to such things. :evil:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts