Dogs in Cars

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As most of you know, I have a choc Labrador who goes everywhere with us. We have to adapt our car to accomodate him and cope with the heat.

This weekend was very interesting.

We had to go to town to the mother-in-law's as she was having electrical problems in her flat. As usual we took the dog with us in the Laguna estate. When we parked we left all the windows down and the sunroof wide open. Then we put a 6" fan on in the dog area and left the rear estate window open, we also put reflective sun blinds around the sunny side of the car to reduce the sun intrusion. Finally we left him a bowl of iced water to drink while we sorted the electrical fault which took 30 mins. I then took Ted for a swim in the river alongside the houses and put him in the back yard of her groundfloor flat to dry off. Meanwhile I had left the car open and shaded with the fan running to keep it cool for when Ted returned to his boot space.

Within the hour there was a knock at the door. I opened it to find a policeman there. He asked if the laguna was mine to which I said yes. He then explained that a neighbor had reported a dog in the hot car. I showed him the car which was cold inside the dog boot, then explained about the dog going in the river to cool off and then being in the back garden waiting to dry before going home. He was more than happy to see what we do for our dog with the car. Not so happy though when a wet 40Kg Labrador jumped up at him.

He went off to explain to the neighbor, who by the way could of averted wasting police time if they had read my message on the boot lid which includes my mobile phone number.

I'm quite happy to show people my car and what we do for our dog if they ask. But to ring police without looking first realy doesn't help people who do care about their animals.

We don't go out in the mid day sun unless it is an emergency as we do not want to put our dog through the heat.

What a lot of people forget is that a closed up car can be as hot as an oven on gas mark 8, they open the car and then let the dog in first. So he cooks for 10 mins while everyone else waits with car doors open for it to cool down!!!

Dogs can and do die in hot unventilated cars. Even the police have first hand evidence of that, but pet owners taking appropriate precautions can avert this.

Another point also is why do people without dogs in their cars hogg the tree shaded spots in the supermarket carparks? Next time you hogg a spot in the shade, spare a thought for a car with dogs stuck in the sun because you are inconsiderate towards mans best friend.

Atb Steve L.

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
So when I go shopping I can't park my car in the shade because someone with a dog may wish to park their car there. I don't think so - leave the dog at home. It's not my best friend.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why didn't you simply put the dog in your relative's back yard in the first place?

As for taking a dog to the supermarket.......

Lisa

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
How funny, supermarket spaces reserved for Dogs, Love it!

Seriously, i have a dog and with the weather being so hot i plan my day around him so i dont get in a situation whereby i have to leave him in a car - to date he has never been shopping!

I will say that i am impressed with your efforts to keep him cool and wish every dog owner was that responsible.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Shaded spaces for dog owners !!! We have enough trouble getting a space reserved for people with kids, as they get used by A##h##ls without children you got Buckleys chance. LEAVE THE DOG AT HOME !!!!!

Why o why do pepole feel the need to take dogs to supermarkets, car boot sales and the like, when they are best left at home? Its nothing short of cruelty.

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
So I'm not supposed to leave my dog in the caravan in case she barks (she doesn't but I'm playing devils advocate here) but I'm not supposed to take her to the supermarket to get my shopping when I'm away in my caravan, pray what am I supposed to do with her???

Not a particularly helpful response drsorento!

Kids drive me to distraction running around supermarkets unchecked, running around carparks, etc., how about I suggest you leave them at home?

Not really viable is it, perhaps you could consider other perspectives first

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Well Maginnis, you could leave your children at home on there own but I would not advise it as I am sure that you would get a visit from social services (dependent on there age)but if thats the type of person you are go ahead. I personally would not do such a thing.

As far as dogs are concerned then take your dog with you if you want to leave it in the car in hot weather and you will get a visit from the police and or the RSPCA. Your dog your call.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,I have had children and dogs for most of my life and have had to work around their needs in all weather.It all depends on circumstances really.Ideally it is best if they can be left at home in very warm weather as neither kiddies or dogs enjoy being trawled around markets etc.BUT,sometimes,when on holiday, this is not possible.We have just returned from a family holiday in a LODGE on a park.It was a stipulation that dogs were not left unattended.We took the dog buggy,ice packs, wet towel and water so "THE BEARS" were well suited.However on parking up the Jeep we heard loud barking from an estate car nearby.Squashed behind the back seats were 2 very large Rotties obviously not happy.There was ventilation via part opened windows but the dogs were very cramped and panting.A lady who was returning to her car pointed out that the car had been there 3 hours earlier when she first arrived and the dogs were barking then too.The traffic warden was concerned herself and phoned the police.I hope there was a happy ending for all concerned.The car and dogs were gone when we returned later.People may think "THE BEARS" are a bit spoiled but at least they are happy and well.I looked after my children just the same.At the end of the day they are a big responsibility at ALL times and not everyone likes children,dogs,caravans or other people so just give everyone a little more consideration and respect.

Life can still be good for all!!!

Thursdays Child

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
So I'm not supposed to leave my dog in the caravan in case she barks (she doesn't but I'm playing devils advocate here) but I'm not supposed to take her to the supermarket to get my shopping when I'm away in my caravan, pray what am I supposed to do with her???

Not a particularly helpful response drsorento!

Kids drive me to distraction running around supermarkets unchecked, running around carparks, etc., how about I suggest you leave them at home?

Not really viable is it, perhaps you could consider other perspectives first
FIND A 24 HOUR SUPERMARKET GO AT MIDNIGHT NO DOGS NO KIDS

PROB SOLVED I DREAD TO THINK WERE YOU GO WITH VAN

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well aside from any animal welfare issues, didn't you consider the possibility that your dog could have been stolen due to the windows being opened?

Dog theft is on the increase.

Lisa

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
save a shady spot for the dog. no, no, no , save a shady spot so my kids dont cook when we get back in the car.

dog only car parkng spaces,what next.

we needs children , they are our future and your pension, your nhs.

when we place greater emphasis on a dog than a child then there is something desparately wrong with this world.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Actually there is one and only one place where dog owners can park their cars in covered shelters. That is "The Eden project", well that is if you can boot out the twits with convertables who took places specifically set aside for dog owners and their cars.

As for leaving windows open which might tempt people to steal our dog, I have fitted mesh grills to the back of the seat to secure the load compartment from the passenger area. Also I've fitted a simlar mesh grill to the window appeture of our car so that people can't get to the dog from outside. As the car comes with electronic deadlocks and imobiliser that work with windows down and unless you have the correct key (chipped), you can't start the car.

Besides that, would you fancy breaking into a car with a security trained dog inside, because I wouldn't.

We always put the health of our dog before us and would normally visit mum-in-law after 6pm when there is a cool shadow outside her flat.

As for supermarket car park spaces I guess I am dreaming, because we often see cars without kids parked in the parent & child locations and non disabled cars in the disabled bays. That goes with the couldn't give a toss attitude embedded into society today.

Anyway my motto has always been "love me love my dog" If he isn't allowed to go we don't go. Even to the point that we would use the venilated underground car park at Hereford Tesco some 16 miles from our nearest supermarket on hot days. It is cool and well vented so you don't get exhaust gas build ups there. Or even the 24Hr Asda in the evenings.

What actually happened to us was some well meaning person saw a car that they new usually contained a dog and rang the police instead of investigating or ringing me on the number clearly displayed in 2 area's of the car.

Atb Steve L.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Steve, I forgot you have a security trained dog. I have asked you twice, once in one thread and once in a thread specifically asking about it but you never replied to either.

I was/am genuinely interested in how it works.

Has it ever had the opportunity to use its drive and compulsion?

Do you have put notices on your property to warm people that there is a security dog in the premises/car/caravan?

We have notices on the gates and in the windows which just say 'guard dogs on premises'. Doesn't appear to deter, seeing as we had an intruder in the property a couple of years ago.

Lisa

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't understand why Parent/Children spaces in car parks are nearest to the store - don't children and parents have legs that work???

If it's a hassle shopping with kids - leave them at home with the dog!!

We would never leave our dog unattended in the car - period!! As recently attended a dog show where the tannoy was asking for owners of various cars to return to see to their dogs - these are breeders and dog enthusiasts - I was appalled and would happily supply the hammer to break the window!! Well done Steve, I admire your efforts to keep your four legged friend safe, shame there aren't more like you (at dog shows to start with!!).

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Oh! how I hate that dreaded sign "No Dogs". Having holday'ed in France ,without ours where all dogs are welcome, we come home and get away again over here, and what do you come across? NO DOGS. Sorry to hijack the thread, but all down to due consideration AGAIN!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I recently had a discussion with neighbours relating to dogs in cars. One neighbour insisted that it was against the law to have a dog in a car whilst driving if the dog is not adequately restrained ie the dog must be tethered in the car in some way. My interpretation of the law is such that a dog must not interfere with the driver or distract the driver's attention but no reference to the animal being tethered.

I realise it would make sense to restrain the animal in some way but who is correct in the eyes of the law?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Colin .. why do you need the "law" to tell you what to do ??

How's about some common sense thinking ?? You wouldn't leave a child unstrapped in a car .. so why leave a dog unprotected ?? Even a small dog will be catapulted forwards in the event of a sudden deceleration, if it does no damage to you, it can damage itself on the front seats. A larger dog can do much more harm to both you and itself. Any dog can be distracted and/or excited by something it sees through the windows, and start jumping about .. this is a distarction to the driver at the very least. Tethering a dog sensibly reduces the risk factor in all cases.

Lets stop waiting to be told what to do by the nanny state .. and do sensible things for ourselves ??

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We have turned the boot space of our Laguna estate into a secure kennel for our dog. He is free to turn and stretch in there and because the dog guard is secured to the boot floor and to the roof side frame, it is capable of keeping him in his compartment in a simlar manner to our seat belts, afterall, a 40Kg dog becomes a 400 Kg load in a medium accident impact. I hasten to add that I have not tested this or been involved in an accident as of yet, mainly because I am an observant and carefull driver.

To answer LMH's query, it would defeat the idea of having a security trained dog if I divulged what he can do or the passwords used to control him. But suffice to say that he is more than capable of detaining the average 16 stone thug. He has been in action but again I'm not at liberty to expand on that. I'm sure that as you are security concious, by whta you say about your instances, you can understand my diplomatic answer.

Cheers Steve L.

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I have got to be honest, there is never a circumstance when dogs should be left in cars in hot weather, if the car is open enough to provide the required cooling, then the whole question of security of the animal has to be questioned. Fitted mesh will not stop someone who wants to steal a particular breed of dog if they want one, even one trained as you suggest Steve, although you do allude to the fact that your particular dog is only activated by secret commands which would be quite useless anyway if you are not around. I am intrigued though, having been involved in security during my time in the armed forces, is your dog actually trained as an attack dog? as I have never encountered a chocolate lab attack dog before.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Entwood - I think you have jumped to a conclusion that I would allow my dog the freedom of the car whilst travelling. My posting was purely a question for clarification of the law regarding dogs in cars. It does not mean that I am stupid enough to allow my dog to roam about in the car whilst we are travelling and I would not be so dull as to even think along these lines. The dog generally sits on the back seat with a tether through it's collar fastened onto a seat belt and the wife generally sits along side him.

No dogs should EVER be left in cars in the heat we've had lately. Keeping windows open and a fan on is not sufficent it just lets hot air in and blows hot air around.

Why did you take the dog if he wasn't allowed in the flat? Same for suprmarkets who needs to take their dog shopping?

As for dogs being stolen i agree with the person who said that i own a 45kg Rott and no way would i ever leave her in the car even for 5 minutes for fear of her being stolen.

Mind you she's not trained in security so doesn't know any passwords lmao. Sorry that did make me laugh because i know someone who owns and trains security dogs and runs a security firm and there's no secret to what a dogs is trained in lol and i believe it's commands they're taught not passwords ;-)

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
Well Maginnis, you could leave your children at home on there own but I would not advise it as I am sure that you would get a visit from social services (dependent on there age)but if thats the type of person you are go ahead. I personally would not do such a thing.

As far as dogs are concerned then take your dog with you if you want to leave it in the car in hot weather and you will get a visit from the police and or the RSPCA. Your dog your call.
You misread my post drsorento, I don't have children I can't stand them (though in retrospect it's usually the parents that are the problem not the actual children) - I said that you may not be too impressed if I suggested you leave YOUR children at home.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
'fat labradors ' - aw, don't take it out on the dog. LOL! He's probably as hard as iron as we say about our Staffords. (Meaning very fit).

Lisa x

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts