Dogs in Italy

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
We are taking our dog to Italy next year, particularly Venice.

We are aware that in Venice we need to keep our dog on a lead and to poop scoop & muzzle on public transport.

Does the muzzle apply just on public transport and does it apply elsewhere in Italy?

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi David

We took our border collie Max with us to Italy in 2007. We staying at Camping Roma Flash at Bracciano which is a 45 minute train journey into central Rome. We left Max in the 'van whilst we went into the city to sightsee. Max is quite happy with this and we ensured that the 'van was well-shaded and ventilated and left water and food. We leave Max at home for similar periods whilst we are work and as he is now getting on in years he happily sleeps the time away both on holiday and at home. He loves coming with us on our caravanning holidays, not least for the fact that we take the opportunity to go on long walks on which he accompanies us.

We did go to Venice the year before, without Max, and stayed at Camping Cavallino on the Jesolo Peninsula. I would respectfully question the wisdom of taking your dog into Venice. It is a very hot and extremely crowded city and the main attraction is visiting the many fascinating buildings. Entry to these building would not be allowed with a dog and so your style would be considerably cramped. In addition the water-based transport system of Venice is not really very dog friendly. In fact I cannot remember seeing a dog in Venice during the several days we visited there.

From our research we understood that dogs should be muzzled in public places in Italy and so we bought Max a muzzle from a pet shop in Bracciano and used it whenever we took him out. At first he did not like the muzzle and pawed it. After a while he did get used to it. However, having said that we saw a great many dogs with their Italian owners and none of them were muzzled. As to cleaning up after Max,that is something we do, as I sure you do, wherever we go.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I researched this last year with the intention of taking my dog to the Italian lakes. According to the Italian tourist board you don't need to muzzle your dog in public providing it is on a lead. It went on to suggest you check with the local tourist board of the area in which you are staying as there may be local bye-laws requiring muzzles. The Italian tourist board can be contacted via the web and are most helpfull. It may be worth asking them the question in case things have changed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts