dogs to france

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello, please dont think im being stupid, but i really dont know where to start. we have 3 dogs, but only 2 will travel, of the 2 that will travel , one has the micro chip, and the other is getting his next week. how long a process is it to get things set up to take them abroad, and what do you have to do when coming back, as i read lots asking for vets near calais. we are hoping to go for a few weeks is there a limit on how long you can go for. i seem to remember someone saying it takes months before you can go because of paper work. so im really confused. i hope someone will explain the procedure to me. thankyou to anyone taking the time to reply. regards edwina

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ed. We have been taking our dog to France for several years. If you want to take yours next year, start the process ASAP. Go to your own vet and tell him that you wish to take your dogs abroad. He will arrange for the necessary rabies vccinations and then blood tests to check that they were successful. If all is OK,he will issue a pet passport and you can actually travel immediately, BUT cannot return to the UK until 6 months after the positive blood tests.

There is no check when you leave the UK, but have to see a vet before returning. The vet will check your micro-chipped dogs and treat them for ticks and worms. Vets are easy to find and campsites near the channel ports will often assist. You have to cross between 24 and 48 hours from the time of the treatment. The dogs will be checked at the port to see that the chips match the pet passports. This is very quick and easy, especially if you use the tunnel. (Dogs are currently

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
thankyou ron, that was very helpful, ive rung the vets, and we will be starting the process. i dont feel such an idiot now. we too would choose the tunnel, which for me will be an achievement as im claustophobic, and have so far gone on the ferry, remaining on top of the ferry in all sorts of weather, but i can not put the dogs through that, (2 old english (dulux) sheepdogs,) we were hoping to go sooner than 6 months, but we will have to rethink now, and get the dogs (names- blue, and panda, )sorted first. thankyou again, its been a big help.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Glad it was some use. Don't fret about the tunnel; my wife had simiar worries but after using it she now prefers it. We were transferred to a ferry a couple of weeks ago due to the fire and found the crossing rather tedious. There seems to be less hanging about with the tunnel and the train's carriages are large and airy. We arrived at the terminal early in September, were put on a train immediately, and arrived in France just 1 hour after arriving at the terminal! It's (usually) a very slick operation.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
The time limit has little to do with taking your dogs OUT of the UK, the limits relate to how soon you can bring them back IN again after their initial treatment. Ask your vet for a free copy of the relevant legislation.

What is important above all other considerations for taking your dogs abroad however is that you MUST familiarise yourself with the existence, location and life-cycle details of Processionary Caterpillars. These evil life-forms are common in France and the slightest direct contact with them can have quite serious affects on you and almost always fatal results for your dogs.

Just 'Google' the words - Processionary Caterpillars - and be prepared to be very afraid..!

Sorry to produce such a dire warning but to be forewarned is, as they say, to be forearmed.

Olly.

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
hi there you have to go to the vets and buy the tick and flea before you could ie frontline and worming tablet and the vet will give you a certificate and you present this with the passports at the port. Get the chips checked before you travel and the vets in France don't care when you are travelling and will often say when do you want to travel back. make sure you don'y exceed the window as defra will not under no circumstances let you across and you will have to do the whole thing again at the port and stay over night. You should give yourself 6 months before you travel and that means all your docs are in order at this end before you travel and your vet will advise

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
If you are going somewhere hot here is a tip I got from a show judge,take a small wet towel for each dog when you go out and wrap them in it to cool them down as required.I have 2 very fluffy Pomaranians who have travelled to Spain and France with no problems so enjoy yourselves.We will be taking them to the south of France again next year too.Take a tick remover too just in case.

Have a great time.

Sandra (THURSDAYS CHILD)

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
If you are going somewhere hot here is a tip I got from a show judge,take a small wet towel for each dog when you go out and wrap them in it to cool them down as required.I have 2 very fluffy Pomaranians who have travelled to Spain and France with no problems so enjoy yourselves.We will be taking them to the south of France again next year too.Take a tick remover too just in case.

Have a great time.

Sandra (THURSDAYS CHILD)
A tip for those who have not travelled on the tunnel before. If you need a leak go before you leave the terminal. The toilets on most of the Shuttle trains make BR look good - assuming you can find one that is (a) not locked and (b) working.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts