Dogs

Mar 1, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, we have 3 medium dogs - cockapoos. We’re looking at ways to enjoy visiting different parts of the U.K. and are considering buying a caravan. I believe that some sites allow dogs but I would welcome views on the practicalities of having 3 dogs with us, would they be a nuisance to others and would a lot of sites accept 3 dogs? Thanks.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
His Roogy. And welcome. We haven’t had a dog for many years, but when we had we found caravanning was great with them so long as they are well behaved. Plenty on here have dogs and can be of help.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We used to have two dogs. Well behaved, one would stay outside or sit in the boot of the car , (with the back up) the other inside the van, a pet peave of mine is when folk let their dogs off their leads to wander around the caravans, Most sites state " dogs on leads at all times"
Remember not everyone likes dogs. Strange folk.
Studio_20201112_223209.jpg

Reactions: WayneS
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Most private sites will accept upto three dogs , both of the main clubs do not limit the number of dogs, I have never found any problems, as part of The Woosie club, we have had 6 dogs all well behaved together. With no problems. But I have seen just one small dog creating mahaem, by barking everytime someone walks past.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Roogy Welcome to the forum we are members of both clubs our two are well behaved and on leads we prefer at a site a dog walk or a exercise field so we can let them off

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have toured in the UK, France and Spain with 3 dogs on issue. Some sites do limited the number of dogs and some charge extar for dogs, but do not supply poo bins etc for the dogs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
These two have been with us to Europe several times, Ireland and UK, but they are now almost 15 years and age even creeps up on Springers. Never had any issues on campsites here or abroad, and in Europe they were often seen too first when going to cafes and bars.

We never left them alone in the van though.

D25DEBCE-4D58-43DD-9258-494A3AC8B2AF.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We never left them alone in the van though.

We also avoid leaving ours in the caravan although there are occasions when it is necessary i.e. shopping especially if it is a hot day. However we have an air con in our caravan so keeps them cool for that hour or two.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We also avoid leaving ours in the caravan although there are occasions when it is necessary i.e. shopping especially if it is a hot day. However we have an air con in our caravan so keeps them cool for that hour or two.
When we went shopping they always came with us and I would stay with them while parked up. I don’t. “ do” shopping much anyway. My wife prefers it that way.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our dogs always come with us when we go food shopping my wife sorts the dogs and i will be in my wheelchair and basket.in the supermarket

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
a pet peave of mine is when folk let their dogs off their leads to wander around the caravans, Most sites state " dogs on leads at all times"
Remember not everyone likes dogs. Strange folk.

It is annoying when some people think the rules do not apply to them and then wonder why the next year dogs are banned from the site. In the past we have had a big Lab jumping up against the side of the caravan barking at our dogs inside. Luckily no scratches on the caravan.
Another time a dog jumped over the windbreak to get at our dogs. The worst was the wife walking back to the caravan with our Yorkies when for no reason a large dog shot out of a motor home and attacked one of our Yorkies.
We had to rush the little male to the vet as his one eye had popped out where the other dog bit him. The owner of the other dog paid the vet bill and luckily the eye of the male dog was not damaged so was pushed back in and his eye stitched closed for awhile. He fully recovered, but sadly passed on last January aged 9 years.

Reactions: JezzerB

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Long time since we had a Cockapoo - lovely dogs - and if anything like ours was then a good temperament.

As for being a nuisance that depends on the owners. Last year on a Caravan Club site the carvan two pitches away had two largish dogs that spent most of the time barking when they were on site, except at night fortunately. The owners did little to control them.

Yet most other owners on the site kept good control of theirs and were not a nuisance.

Reactions: WayneS and Buckman
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello Roogy, welcome - caravanning with dogs is a great plan - in fact one of the reasons we bought our caravan was so that we could take our dog with us. When looking for sites it's easy to identify ones with either their own or nearby dog exercising areas. Almost every caravanner we've encountered have been brilliant - and even on that scale we've observed more people being a nuisance on sites than dogs (probably a total score of 3 : 0.) As others have said its down to owners. Due to covid, a job change and a couple of other odds and ends we haven't (yet) used our van nearly as much as we'd like to. But mention "Charlie's House" to our boy & he gets very excited (even if its just for a trip to the storage site for a check over!) Good luck with what you decide - I think it's a great idea! 👍cv Charlie.jpg

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We started caravanning because we didn't want to holiday without our dog. He love it and we have no issue finding dog friendly caravan sites.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello Roogy, welcome - caravanning with dogs is a great plan - in fact one of the reasons we bought our caravan was so that we could take our dog with us. When looking for sites it's easy to identify ones with either their own or nearby dog exercising areas. Almost every caravanner we've encountered have been brilliant - and even on that scale we've observed more people being a nuisance on sites than dogs (probably a total score of 3 : 0.) As others have said its down to owners. Due to covid, a job change and a couple of other odds and ends we haven't (yet) used our van nearly as much as we'd like to. But mention "Charlie's House" to our boy & he gets very excited (even if its just for a trip to the storage site for a check over!) Good luck with what you decide - I think it's a great idea! 👍View attachment 2891
A lovely picture (y)

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
We changed our caravan a couple of years ago and one of the must haves in the caravan was a table at the front of the caravan so our Shih Tzu could lay on it to watch what was happening outside, we couldn’t imagine her not being with us in the van.

BP

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When our sons dog ( now our dog) Harry ( a rescue dog ) we thought Harry was a Chiggy, Corgi x Chiuawa. We decided last Xmas to do a DNA test on him through a company called www.wisdompanel.com
It turns out he is 28% Yorkshire Terrier 26 % Chiuawawa, and the rest different bits of terriers. They went back 5 generations,
Studio_20220303_184218.jpg

Apr 18, 2022
Visit site
With respect to being an aggravation that relies upon the proprietors, keep going year on a Parade Club site the troop two pitches away had two largish canines that invested the greater part of the energy yelping when they were nearby, besides around evening time, luckily. The proprietors did close to nothing to control them. ning

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts