Done it Again

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Well we are back from our second weekend caravanning,this time went a little further afield to Braemar a CC site ( which was really nice) this site will be great in winter if you ski.Total distance was about 65 miles out and back so it gave the car a blonger and slightly more difficult run out.

The van worked fine, but you don't seem to have long for a hot shower when on 2 kw electric power, so next time we will try gas on the Aldi. The heating worked fine on electric kept the van nice and warm. One thing about the Alko-Wheel locks do you always have to jack up the van ( Bessacarr Cameo ) to locate both locks,I don't seem to see any other way round this???

Jo-Anne if you read this the Truma TE worked a treat just unhitched the van on the road, backed it up about 30ft then a right turn off the road, and straight back. Same coming off the gravel pitch onto the road, and just stopped it at the cars towball it worked really well!!!!!.

Just e-mailed a site in France for a few weeks break in March/April so really starting to look a lot further. Mind you it 600 miles just to get to a port if we want to use the south coast ferries. Somehow with the LC it does not seem that daunting, once again thanks for everyones help.

Val & Frank

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi val and frank, glad you had a great weekend.

glad the mover is okay. the in laws had theres changed to the rihke and its fantastic they are well pleased.

we are off on monday to the moreton in the marsh cc site is lovely there going monday to sunday next week.

get the grande cherokee jeep this week cant wait comfort, leather, electric everything and an auto oh and i mustnt forget the cruise control. i cant moan the monterey does what it says on the tin.

have a good un

jo-anne

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Val & Frank, glad you had a good weekend.

Braemar is a great site isn't it! We tried to book for the games on 2nd September, full unfortunately.

Glad the 'van is working well, we always switch to gas when showering, one word of warning, be very careful as the water gets extremely hot!!

No other solution for the wheel clamps either!!

Enjoy!!

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
hi. Glad you are enjoying life with your bessacarr. We went to Braemar over new year two years ago. We were in our previous van a coachman VIP. The snow was deep over that new year and the temperature was down to -14. All the side lockers froze so could not be opened and loads of aquarolls were in the boiler room because they had froze solid. The van itself was warm inside and we had a lovely time. Everyone on site was invited down to the village hall for new year but a blizzard was blowing so we stayed put. My bessacrr is now waiting for three new bits and then hopefully it will settle down. Going to Putts Corner Caravan Club site at Sidmouth this weekend.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Andrew

The van is performing ok a couple of niggles, the near side curtain rail has fallen down, it looks like the screws are to short !!. Bed seems a little hard, Val thinks we should look at a different matress. I do like all the lights they seem to work fine (left the remote alone this time) The bits of black lines that come from the window seals are a pain I need to clean these off soon.

Braemar is a nice site I told my Son & D in L, I will tow the van to the site in the winter so they can ski at the Lecht. Have you ever towed a van over the Lecht?? It would be a quicker way to the A9 for us we live in Aberdeen, but with many friends North of Inverness. I think the Bessacarr was a good choice I know it's heavy, but thats the cost of I hope a quality van.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

The van is performing ok a couple of niggles, the near side curtain rail has fallen down, it looks like the screws are to short !!. Bed seems a little hard, Val thinks we should look at a different matress. I do like all the lights they seem to work fine (left the remote alone this time) The bits of black lines that come from the window seals are a pain I need to clean these off soon.

Braemar is a nice site I told my Son & D in L, I will tow the van to the site in the winter so they can ski at the Lecht. Have you ever towed a van over the Lecht?? It would be a quicker way to the A9 for us we live in Aberdeen, but with many friends North of Inverness. I think the Bessacarr was a good choice I know it's heavy, but thats the cost of I hope a quality van.

Val & Frank
The only way over the lecht with a caravan would be with a Chinook helicopter , It's bad enough driving over it solo!

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi. We were travelling up from Dorset. the weather was so bad the top road over going past the ski centre at Glencoe was closed, we had to go a long way round i am sure towards Aberdeen and then took the route following the river, sorry cannot remember the details, having worked for John Menzies for 35 years should have a better knowledge of Scotland. Coming home the road over the top was open and this saved us a lot of time.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Frank,

We took the ferry (Superfast), from Rosyth-Zeebrugge last year. It cuts out a lot of mileage, but we never had the caravan, just the car. Not sure of the cost,probably pretty pricey, but the ferry is first class,

regards, Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Frank, pleased everything went well on your second outing. Looks like we just missed each other we are off to the CC site at Braemar this Friday for a week.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Richard

Enjoy the Braemar site it's really awful -) No it's not but we do need to put people off or it will be full all the time !!!!

We would have gone again this weekend but, we are off to Prague to see our new grand daughter. So 600 miles to Dover and then 600 across mainland Europe so it will give the Landcruiser a good work out !!! good job we are going solo.

Val & Frank

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank

You're right, Invercauld is a lovely site and great for ski-ing. We've has a seasonal pitch over winter there for a year or two. The wardens are friendly and helpful. The site is always full over Christmas and New Year.

We don't use our external water supply in winter as it's easier to use the site showers and carry drinking water in a 5 litre container. We also use propane.

Regards

A

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Frank,glad that all is going well and which ever way you get to France caravan sites there are just superb and the whole experience is so different to here.

Regarding the shower you dont use it the same as the one at home because as you say you run out of water the trick is switch on wet down ,switch off,soap up,switch on and so on that way two people can have showers one after the other both with hot water.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts