Don't Go by the Book

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
had my caravan in for some work this week and asked them to check out the gas system for the fire, i have never been able to work it. got a phone call yesterday from the garage and guy says the fire is working fine and can't see anything wrong.

anyway, brought it back home today and went about setting everything up, and couldn't wait till i finally had the gas working. huh, it was just the same, nothing at all.

i was almost on the phone back to the garage when i double checked the hand book diagram for the gas lines, sure enough there it was quite clearly in frony of me, white valve for the fire. i checked again and still nothing. looking at the branch of pipes and their colour coded valves i noticed that the green was indeed running to the hob, and the blue led to the fridge. ther white one which the book states is for the fire, and the red one which the book states for the water heater both run under the flooring at almost the same point. i thought i would give it a try to use the red valve then attempt the fire again, loh and behold, working fine. all along i have been using the valve as instructed by the handbook and taken it as gospel, just a wee bit info in case it happens to anyone else.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
cheers raymond :)

so looking forward to our first season in caravanning, going away for long weekend next week, first time for more that one night. thats why i wanted to ensure everything works as it should. dealer did a good job for me and was reasonable with costs, only thing not repaired was the vanity sink in toilet, got a post elsewhere about that, cost of new one app

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
cheers raymond :)

so looking forward to our first season in caravanning, going away for long weekend next week, first time for more that one night. thats why i wanted to ensure everything works as it should. dealer did a good job for me and was reasonable with costs, only thing not repaired was the vanity sink in toilet, got a post elsewhere about that, cost of new one app

G

In defence many handbooks are a collection of various instructions on 3rd Party equipment stapled together with some generic information from the manufacturer. As they often cover different vans in a manufacturer's stable it is possible the information is not exactly appropriate for your van. I agree that colour coding of valves should be accurate, but it is possoble that a production run had different colours for a short period, and the handbook was not updated. In many handbooks there is a 'get out' clause that variations may mean differences in information.

It is also possible your handbook is not the original but replaced by a previous owner.

However, as you mention, getting the dealer to investigate and advise you, is a good solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts