Don't hoot!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Who was hooting? The people in the car being overturned and in shear panic, or those watching, perhaps trying to scare the animal off, but perhaps making things worse.

There is no way of knowing from that video if hooting was the initial cause.

John

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Who was hooting? The people in the car being overturned and in shear panic, or those watching, perhaps trying to scare the animal off, but perhaps making things worse.

There is no way of knowing from that video if hooting was the initial cause.

John
The SA newspaper report stated that the driver was hooting to attract the attention of the elephant. He got the attention and more.
See https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...-reserve-4a35f722-f21f-464f-8cff-544ce2f54cbe

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The SA newspaper report stated that the driver was hooting to attract the attention of the elephant. He got the attention and more.
See https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...-reserve-4a35f722-f21f-464f-8cff-544ce2f54cbe

Still does not suggest that hooting started things, just that the hooter was trying to attract the elephant, Perhaps they were hoping to scare it away. Which might have only made things worse of course. But presumably the elephant was already attacking for whatever reason.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am with you Buckman, the hooting was hoping to stop the turn over. BUT the folks are in the animals domain. Don't get near them. Get ready to retreat. Or run.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am with you Buckman, the hooting was hoping to stop the turn over. BUT the folks are in the animals domain. Don't get near them. Get ready to retreat. Or run.
Having lived in Africa and done a number of "safaris" you keep your distance. Hooting will only further enrage an animal like an elephant, rhino etc especially if there are young about.
We were told that if attacked by an elephant, to feign dead and not to move. Never had to do that so no idea if it works and wiling to test the theory.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am still confused as to just why the people in the car that was being overturned ‘got what they deserved’. As there is nothing in the film or article to say or hint at why the elephant attacked them.

The hooting may have made things worse, but it was the other car that was doing that.

Perhaps I am missing somthing.

John

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The film clip is short, the people in the filming car were not speaking English, so we'll never know

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
The only time I get to hoot is when leaving our children to come home and that it is just couple of taps. Last time I wanted to hoot and could not because ignition was off and the dumpy truck reversed on me.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am still confused as to just why the people in the car that was being overturned ‘got what they deserved’. As there is nothing in the film or article to say or hint at why the elephant attacked them.
The hooting may have made things worse, but it was the other car that was doing that.
Perhaps I am missing something.
John

They also got too close to the elephant which did not help. When an elephant flaps its ears it is a mock charge, if it flattens its ears against the side of its head you are in serious trouble.
If they had kept their distance, they would have had ample time to scuttle away safely. Seen people doing stupid things when near wild animals. It is highly unlikely that the elephant just decided to attack as they do not do random attacks.
There are a number of other reports on the incident and the park is not taking any action against the elephant which says it all!

The film clip is short, the people in the filming car were not speaking English, so we'll never know

She is panicking and telling the driver of that vehicle to reverse as quickly as possible to get out of the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts