Double Glazed fish tank or just damp?

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
6EC53786-0986-4F0B-A15C-9301057857AA.jpeg

I might as well laugh about this or I’d just cry.we had a 12 year old Sprite Quattro from new. Usual services most years occasionally went 18 months between.
Anyway we noticed a small drop of water on the inside below the front window. Kept an eye on the area and slowly over time it got worse. Local mobile caravan guy came out with damp meter. We found the window had bowed and wasn’t sealing properly. A bit of mastic sorted a temporary repair whilst we estimated what we should do. We were talking £1300 upward for a new window etc, but that wasn’t replacing the wood, which wasn’t actually rotten just wet.
anyway, enter Covid19 and everything locked down. So several months later I go to the van to take the battery back and I see the front window is sporting a new look. It’s a 3rd full of water, hence the fish tank reference. So I am pretty upset thinking I will have to get a new window etc which on a 12 year old van is a substantial amount of its value, especially if we need to replace wood and wallboard, looking at £2000.

so I had a good look and found a split in the window, hence the water. Inside the van smells damp.

At at the hinge in the middle of the window, I found that at one of the screw holes, the front panel of the van was split, This ran behind the hinge and through to the window opening.

3F2A964C-65E4-475F-8A82-344594376581.jpeg

To cut a long story short, we part exchanged it for a Super Sprite Quattro FB , which we were looking to do in 2 years time anyway, so it just brought forward our decision.

We were pleased with what the dealer offered us, obviously we were 100% on honest with them and actually did the deal without going to the showroom .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
View attachment 753

I might as well laugh about this or I’d just cry.we had a 12 year old Sprite Quattro from new. Usual services most years occasionally went 18 months between.
Anyway we noticed a small drop of water on the inside below the front window. Kept an eye on the area and slowly over time it got worse. Local mobile caravan guy came out with damp meter. We found the window had bowed and wasn’t sealing properly. A bit of mastic sorted a temporary repair whilst we estimated what we should do. We were talking £1300 upward for a new window etc, but that wasn’t replacing the wood, which wasn’t actually rotten just wet.
anyway, enter Covid19 and everything locked down. So several months later I go to the van to take the battery back and I see the front window is sporting a new look. It’s a 3rd full of water, hence the fish tank reference. So I am pretty upset thinking I will have to get a new window etc which on a 12 year old van is a substantial amount of its value, especially if we need to replace wood and wallboard, looking at £2000.

so I had a good look and found a split in the window, hence the water. Inside the van smells damp.

At at the hinge in the middle of the window, I found that at one of the screw holes, the front panel of the van was split, This ran behind the hinge and through to the window opening.

View attachment 754

To cut a long story short, we part exchanged it for a Super Sprite Quattro FB , which we were looking to do in 2 years time anyway, so it just brought forward our decision.

We were pleased with what the dealer offered us, obviously we were 100% on honest with them and actually did the deal without going to the showroom .
Think that you did the right thing. The dealer won’t have any trouble effecting a decent repair. They are so low on used stock that it just shows how the market has changed. Enjoy the new van.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would think there must be several unlucky owners out there with similar tales but it is probably no consolation. The repair is a simple job for a dealer, so he would be happy to get it done and move the old caravan on with the current buoyant market, and you get a nice new model but just a bit early, so hopefully everybody is happy, although it was a problem you could have done without.

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
The dealer wasn’t phased by it at all. Ironically the new van we bought has gone up in price and that’s for next year delivery, so although it was a pain, we are happy.

the mobile guy who came out reckon the initial bowing of the window could have been caused by the sun during some of the really hot days we have had, not sure about that as vans are on the continent where they get more sun.
Only really posted as general interest and maybe just worth a look when purchasing second hand. It’s not as uncommon as you think.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At present caravan dealers are low in stock so i think he would be happy doing a repair to your van and then selling it on .
i hope you enjoy your new caravan

Reactions: smida040

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts