Draining Board?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Where are they in the newer vans?

Our current van is 12 year's old and has an actual draining board next to the sink and it lets the water run into the sink, good eh!!
Looking at three vans today (Sprite Major, Swift Challenger and a Coachman), and not one has a draining board.
What do people use is there something available that sits on the work top and drains away?

And dont say go to the pot wash!!

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I bought a folding silicone one from Dunelm. Might have been this one. You have to dry it though.

Also looked at this one but thought the folding one would store better.

mel

Reactions: Gagakev
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Swift vans should have a grey plastic draining board that sits over the edge of the sink, ours was stored in the cupboard under the sink, when we picked up the van, may be the ones you looked at had had the draining board removed and stored elsewhere if they were at dealers. Most dealers in our area remove such things, including plugs and even the cooker knobs for safe keeping.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have an over sink plastic one. We find it a pain to get in and it of the cupboard. So we got one of these.

Simple and cheap and works a treat.

I see Ikea also have a couple of interesting alternatives.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Where are they in the newer vans?

Our current van is 12 year's old and has an actual draining board next to the sink and it lets the water run into the sink, good eh!!
Looking at three vans today (Sprite Major, Swift Challenger and a Coachman), and not one has a draining board.
What do people use is there something available that sits on the work top and drains away?

And dont say go to the pot wash!!
My Lunar Clubman was supplied with a plastic draining board that can be placed on the work surface and drains into the sink - can be stowed away in a cupboard afterwards which frees up the work surface - I'd expect other brands to do the same - of course they won't leave it out on demonstrators due to theft risk.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My Lunar Clubman was supplied with a plastic draining board that can be placed on the work surface and drains into the sink - can be stowed away in a cupboard afterwards which frees up the work surface - I'd expect other brands to do the same - of course they won't leave it out on demonstrators due to theft risk.

Agree, also sometimes dealers strip and store new vans of nick-able items.

Ours is the same board as yours, but that’s the one we changed for the IKEA. In #5

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a plastic draining board that came with the caravan and it is very effective. As above more than likely the dealer has stored the draining board away to prevent it being nicked.
The idea of having a removable one is v ery good as it gives you more workspace on the counter top.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our last three caravans have had the loose plastic draining board which now seems to be the accepted way of doing this. I agree display models may have this removed to prevent theft.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
As our sink is round we have the supplied crescent shaped drainer that stands over the rim of the sink however it is quite small so for more than a few cups I have one similar to that Mel highlighted from Amazon that stands on the hob lid with the lip over the sink edge to drain the drips

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We too have the crescent shaped drainer in our Avante. I bought a collapsible draining basket to sit on it. It has cutlery sections in it and , with careful stacking, can hold a full load of dishes. It might help that all our dishes are lightweight plastic and melamine, I don't know.

I prefer having the removable drainer, as, although I prefer to wash dishes in the van when staying on a pitch (we always choose F.S.), when we use the van on my parents' drive, it stays in the cupboard, leaving more room on the worktop.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I should add to the recommendation I made for the IKEA mat. It does not hold much. But we are happy to accept that and just either wash a few, dry a few, or have two of us doing it. Works well for us.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
One of our Criterias, when we changed the caravan, was a square sink with draining board, and a cooker with an electric ring.
Luckily the Coachman 560/ 4 had both. And we got £1000 off as it was that years Demo. And still happy with it.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies folks, I suppose it was not a thing I was worried about or even realised until the OH flagged it up.
Silly me thought all sinks came with a draining board.
I must move into the real world.
Will ask next time we visit and see if they have hidden them.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We simply use our multi-purpose tray, one bit of clobber doing a number of jobs.

Then simply tip it up to dump the "drainings" into the sink, wipe the water off and put it out of the way till I use it for serving drinks etc.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts