Driving Licence Renewal Just Done, Have Questions.

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
1st point,
I recently passed the 70 yr old mark and had to renew my driving licence.
It includes class BE, presumably as I have held a licence since '62 .
Is this what is required to enable me to drive an Outfit or Motorhome of over 3500Kg?
I have read so many articles on this, sometimes with slightly differing interpretations I would
like a definitive clarification please.
2nd point,
The licence has an expiry date of 2017, i.e. in only three years which seems a very short duration.
What happens then?
3rd point,
Is there likely to be any difficulty insuring for home and/or foreign travel when I get my new outfit as an over 70's?
Help from some body who has experience of similar circumstances or has definate information will be very
much appreciated
Rgds

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Wilbury,

I think you need Cat C1 for solo vehicles of MAM exceeding 3500kg. You need to check you licence categories against this:-

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
No one on this forum can give you a categoric copper bottomed answer, as you have absolutely no verifiable information about who is answering your question or what qualifications they have. That includes me! which is why I have the note in my signature box.

If your licence expires you have to renew it. Again check the Govt site for details on what you must do to retain your categories. You may need to have medical evidence or even sit another test for some categories..

With regards to insurance, I know plenty of 70 year olds who caravan, and some go abroad, so Insurance is possible, but again you need to ask the insurers for chapter and verse. Only they can confirm if they will cover you.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Just to add on the back of your licence in box (12) codes you need to cross reference yours here

As an example
Medium-sized vehicles
Category C1

You can drive vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C1+E

You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg, but the trailer - when fully loaded - can’t weigh more than the vehicle.

The combined weight of both can’t exceed 12,000kg.

On C1+E on my licence I have code 107 & that is - not more than 8,250 kilograms :eek:hmy: not the 12,000kg as above.

So do check them out ;)

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,
Clarification of vehicles I can drive on a BE license. This used to be called B+E.
I have been doing some more research and found on the Government site that-
Cat B
"You can drive vehicles up to 3500 Kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats(with a trailer up to 750Kg.
You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight isn't more than 3500Kg".

Cat BE
"You can drive a CatB vehicle with a trailer when they have a combined weight over 3500Kg.

I take this to mean that I am entitled to drive a car and caravan of over 3500Kg on my BE licence.
However when it comes to a Motorhome-
Cat C1.(Which I do not Have)
"You can drive a vehicle weighing between 3500Kg and 7500Kg with a trailer up to 750Kg"

Summery- I can drive a Caravan outfit of over 3500Kg but not a Motorhome.
Rgds

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Wilbury.

I assume you passed your test before 1997. the date when major changes were made to the entitlements on licences. I'm surprised you do not have C1. That used to be one of the basic entitlements. If you were awarded it prior to 1997 then you should retain it. However some entitlements do have an age related limitation, and if you become too old for it to be automatically re-awarded then sometimes you have to re apply. Check with the DVLA on what required.

I have heard odd complaints that when some drivers licences have been renewed through the 10 year expiry limit on photocards or when changing address details, the DVLA have missed of some of their entitlements. Through 'grandfather rights' if you had an entitlement it should have been continued automatically when you changed/renewed your licence. Do you have an copy of an old licence? because the DVLA should re-award entitlements if you can show you did have it.

The motorhome dream may not be dead yet.

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It seems that Cat C1 is lost at the age of 70 unless you have a medical and supply the results on a Government form.
This has to be repeated periodically to retain the catagory. More expense!
Perhaps it is just as well considering the driving standards exhibited by some aged drivers around here.
Rgds

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at this web site for a full explanation :-
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories.
Having looked at this web site myself I have a question. My licence includes cat. A - motor cycles with a power output of more than 35KW but also incudes cat P in the section listing fklnp - You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 45km/h (28mph) but not more than 50km/h (31mph).
Its engine size must not be more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine.
I used to have a 650cc twin motor cycle.
Not that I want to ride a motor cycle these days but I`m confused !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
JamesH said:
Have a look at this web site for a full explanation :-
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories.
Having looked at this web site myself I have a question. My licence includes cat. A - motor cycles with a power output of more than 35KW but also incudes cat P in the section listing fklnp - You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 45km/h (28mph) but not more than 50km/h (31mph).
Its engine size must not be more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine.
I used to have a 650cc twin motor cycle.
Not that I want to ride a motor cycle these days but I`m confused !

Hello James,

Each of the letters groups defines a type of vehicle for which you have an entitlement to driver. It may at first glance seem that some vehicles appear in more than one category, but if you do a bit more research you will actually they are all defined differently. some might be differentiated by weight, number of road wheels, function, power out put or power to weight ratio, solid or articulated.

All you need to concern yourself with is that you have the categories to cover the vehicles you drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts