Dunkerque to Frejus.

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
We are towing our caravan from Dunkerque to Frejus at the end of May and would appreciate some advice on a route that would include about four interesting stopovers there and back. We are going for four weeks, so we can take our time with the travelling.

Many thanks
Malcolm & Caryl

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Going to Frejus usually means going down through the centre of France via Lyon and Orange. I assume you want more than an overnight for the stopovers? If so few suggestions. Somewhere in Burgundy, perhaps around Beaune, you could spend some time in the Alps and maybe the Ardeche as neither are too far off the main route.
David

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks David. We intend using four stopovers as we are taking our time now that we have retired. I hoped that suggetions for specific sites in interesting areas would save me a lot of homework ( how lazy is that?). If a site is good in an iteresting area, we might stop longer.
Regards Malcolm

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Have a look at the ACSI card (www.campingcard.com) and Camping Cheques (www.campingcheque.co.uk) websites for sites. Use either, and you'll get sites from between 11 and 15 euros per night, including pitch, car and caravan, two people, awning, electricity, and one dog.
Using Camping Cheques try Lac D'Orient, (nearish to Troyes) is set alongside a lake, with Troyes worth visiting (nice mediaeval centre, a bit like York, with very narrow overhanging streets of wooden framed houses), and there's the lake itself, the Lac du Der Chantecoq, which has watersports, and bird-watching.
Further south try Lac de Panthier at Vandenesse en Auxois, alongside the reservoir - another nice site, in a pretty area, and near enough to visit the Chateauneuf at the top of the hill, the Chateau at Commarin, the town of Beaune, and the vineyards of the Cote d'Or.
South again and try the hinterland to the site of the autoroute south of Lyon, either the Vercors side to the east or the Ardeche to the west (loads and loads of sites, there to choose from)
Then south again to the Camargue/Provence area around St Remy de Provence (again lots of sites to choose from in those areas).
You could make a similar itinerary using the ACSI card.
There are good maps on both websites, each indicates the position of a campsite, and leads you to an information page about the site, giving dates when the ACSI card or Camping Cheques are accepted.
Otherwise, in May, why not do as we do, and go 'with the weather'? We never have a real destination in mind - we just head south until we reach some sunshine and then stop - for as little or as long as the site holds our interest, and then we move on. In May you'll have absolutely no need to book (even in Frejus) and can alter your itinerary as the mood or the weather takes you.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
There's a super little site just south of Arcis sur Aube, Camping la Barbuisse. Very like a British CL but bigger. Very free & easy, very basic showers,but lovely just to relax in, especially if you go through into the second field. Near troyes and les Lac, which as Val says are well worth a vist, and the fee is only €7 per night. It's in the CC Europe book, under Arcis. Tell Madame that I told you, but please don't tell anyone else, cos we want to keep it secret!

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone!
I have now got a lot of infomation to plan a leisurely drive to the South of France. Val's sugested sites and surrounds sound interesting as well as David's and Emmerson's
Thanks again, Malcolm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts