east coast scotland, advice please

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello everyone,

we have decided to go up to st andrews area, which we have done before, then thought about going further up, ...but as we have never been further than dundee, not sure what is good or not so good, obviously we like mountains and lochs, and good views, and good dog walks, ....we will be coming up from wakefield west yorks, straight to st andrews for a couple of nights, then a few or more nights up a bit, or a lot, then back down, stopping somewhere on way back, either in scotland or there abouts. we have done west scotland before so just need an idea of what is out there regards sites with good stuff around them, and excellent scenery, (im a photographer), i get rather boring but cant help myself. thankyou to anyone who answers, with good advice. we intend going mid september. thankyou agian, (also 2 dogs in tow)

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Come up to Aberdeenshire/Moray you won't be disappointed with views, the scenery and beaches are some of the best in the world. You can also go inland to the Cairngorms - if you are a landscape photographer you must surely have seen the huge variety of landscape stuff on-line or at exhibitions.

My husband & son are professional photographers and never get bored of photographing the vistas up here.

Plenty of choice of sites, both clubs have sites in this area plus lots of Council run sites near beaches - Banff, Portsoy, etc, Sandend is a lovely site which is privately owned now.

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
thankyou janet,

whats it like for walking dogs on beaches, ( i was a wedding/ sports photographer, but my heart is with landscapes.) so having time out from the business and going in adifferent route, be it for personal use or whatever. ive got the map out and trying to put crosses where we would like to go and taking advice from people like yourself and see if we come up with a route plan. thankyou again.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Angus Council have a couple of sites and also Aberdeenshire Council. The road from Dundee to Aberdeen is good dual carriageway and not to busy, as long as you don't arrive at the Bridge of Dee at the morning or evening rush hours.

Banff is a reasonable site with direct access to a beach.

You could go inland from Aberdeen to Banchory or Braemar CC sites. An alternative and cheaper would be the council site at Ballater which is a gentle walk into the town.

You can also go over the A93 and drop down into Perth on the way back down south.

If you need anymore just shout.

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello gumbo,

ive booked in for braemar,and banchory, i intend using banchory as a base for aberdeen and up to peterhead, and braemar for the scenic walks and chilling out. i was looking at the a93, and did wonder if it was ok for the van, much appreciated advice,thankyou. regards ed

May 25, 2008
Visit site
The A93 needs a little care, but quite a few people I have met tow ta vans up from the Perth side !!!we only do it from Aberdeen.

Enjoy Banchory the site is good, park the opposite side to the road if you can it is better !!!!

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
hello gumbo,

ive booked in for braemar,and banchory, i intend using banchory as a base for aberdeen and up to peterhead, and braemar for the scenic walks and chilling out. i was looking at the a93, and did wonder if it was ok for the van, much appreciated advice,thankyou. regards ed
Hey Ed why stop at Peterhead???? Come to Fraserburgh! We are much nicer here!!!

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Silverbank CC site at Banchory is our favourite site. It is just perfect. We use it regularly for weekends. We try to pitch away from the road but don't get too hung about about it if we can't.

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
It is a dog walkers paradise up here - as long as you clean up after them there is no problem to walking dogs on the beaches. In fact you are spoilt for choice, miles of sandy beaches and lovely quiet coves. Then you have the whole of the Cairngorms National Park - just watch out for sheep and keep the dogs on a lead if there are any around. There is a very good dog walk along the river bank out of the back gate at Banchory CC site.

Here is a link to my OH's blog (he isn't very good at running it, don't think he's updated it for a while)

http://billbainphotographs.com/
Gives you an idea of our local scenery.

Nov 5, 2005
Visit site
ed A93 is not a problem I tow my twin ax up it often from

Coupar Angus to Braemar just over 1 hour but you will stop at the ski lifts at the top of Glenshee have a nice time

William

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
thankyou janet, we always clean up after the dogs, we are always carrying enough doggy poo bags for a weeks walk instaed of an hours walk, its good to know we can go on the beaches, thankyou....thankyou earlybird, we will be doing it in the other direction, from braemar down to perth. its not a twin but is an inch under 24ft so not small either, thankyou regards ed

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Lower Deeside Caravan park is very nice and a lot closer for Aberdeen. Excellent food in the pub along the way. In Fraserburgh we ended up in a chip shop cafe for food which isn't our norm, I had the most delicious smoked haddock fish cakes with cheese sauce. Fantastic! Also got some great photos of the huge fishing boats aligned in Fraserburgh harbour. Arden Country Park is a nice site north of Ellon so good for Peterburgh and Fraserburgh. Great light for photograph at Glenmore Forrestry Commision site at Loch Morlich at the foot of Cairngorm but this may be off your route. The site at Huntly is top notch but Huntly is a bit boring!

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Fraserburgh is beautiful ... but then I would say that as I live there! In fact you`ve made me homesick as we've been away in the van for four and a half weeks now ... be home next week as we start back at school the following Monday, 17 August.

The park you refer to is Aden park by the way ... located in Mintlaw.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts