Eating out?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The lower VAT for restaurants kicked in on Wednesday so we decided to take advantage. Check for pubs that were open for lunch, found one, checked menu and phoned to book. On arrival, we were given a printed disposable paper menu and all the prices had increased by £1. Meal was reasonable but £15 for a burger and fries was a bit over the top. No salad.
Anyway came to pay the bill and no reduction as VAT was bill at 5%. Obviously they had hiked up the basic price as it made no difference and the pub is now pocketing the difference. I was under the impression that the idea of the lower VAT was to encourage people to return to pubs for meals etc due to lower prices etc?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The lower VAT for restaurants kicked in on Wednesday so we decided to take advantage. Check for pubs that were open for lunch, found one, checked menu and phoned to book. On arrival, we were given a printed disposable paper menu and all the prices had increased by £1. Meal was reasonable but £15 for a burger and fries was a bit over the top. No salad.
Anyway came to pay the bill and no reduction as VAT was bill at 5%. Obviously they had hiked up the basic price as it made no difference and the pub is now pocketing the difference. I was under the impression that the idea of the lower VAT was to encourage people to return to pubs for meals etc due to lower prices etc?

It was, but several small outlets interviewed on tv said they had no option but to use the reduction to gain some extra support otherwise they weren’t even viable on a socially distanced opening. I looked at a pub near where we are booked next week but the menu consisted of two starters, two mains and two puds. For the starters and mains one of the choices was vegetarian too. So we will not be making a booking. It must be incredibly hard for many of the hospitality businesses given the duration of lockdown and the limitations imposed by social distancing. But worry not Weatherspoons have announced that they will not reduce food bills but show a large discount on beers etc Seems to be opposite of the Chancellors stated intent.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Come on! --- Surely we all knew it wasn't the customer who was going to benefit!
I admit I had that sneaky feeling when we booked. The annoying part is the £1 increase over night. Sadly they have now lost several regular customers as my aunt who lives in Christchurch often took her family and friends there for a meal. Basically the pub shot itself in the foot with very high prices. Even a diet coke now cost £2.75! Was under £2 previously!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Don’t worry this is part of a long term strategy to get the nations weight down. When lockdown first took hold you will recall food shortages. One report indicated that in London 25% of food eaten prior to lockdown was not eaten at home. In Bristol there’s a street with 40 % cafes, takeaways restraurants etc and most towns and cities probably mirror that. So its a classic case of supply and demand and there can only be one outcome. Now is the time for the customer to pay to enable businesses to survive, not the general taxpayer.

Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not tried a meal out yet but it was inevitable some would try to make up lost revenue esecially when they have limited numbers to make matters worse. The higher prices some people will charge might drive customers, away but time will tell.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats the 5% vat thing, but the good news is that parcipitating pubs and restaurants, can do the £10 off of a meal and soft drinks, on certain days. My pub landlady confirmed this, if a meal and a soft drink cost £12 , then you only pay £2.00 . Lets see if this works.
Progressive dinning, starters, in Queens Arms, main in The Plougman, and pudding in the , The Black Swan, saving £60 for a couple.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I might have it wrong, but I understood the £10 offer was not a flat rate sum of a bill, but half the bill up to a maximum of £10 reduction.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I might have it wrong, but I understood the £10 offer was not a flat rate sum of a bill, but half the bill up to a maximum of £10 reduction.
Prof, thats not the reply from my local Landlady, who is applying for it. Gòod for me. I hope.

She did say that Hops and barley in the beer are not counted for discount. 😥

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
According to the two websites Business Advice and Money Saving Expert I quickly checked the offer is:-

"...50% discount, capped at £10 per person, on meals out. "

Be prepared for a financial shock!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
For participating pubs and restaurants the scheme only operates on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays throughout August..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For participating pubs and restaurants the scheme only operates on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays throughout August..
I thought it started on 15th July for all discounts and was not just for August. We ate out yesterday and the food was reasonably priced, perhaps even reduced and if they pocketed the difference we did not mind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that is what Hutch was saying?

Its not what he wrote.

Thats the 5% vat thing, but the good news is that parcipitating pubs and restaurants, can do the £10 off of a meal and soft drinks, on certain days. My pub landlady confirmed this, if a meal and a soft drink cost £12 , then you only pay £2.00 . Lets see if this works.
Progressive dinning, starters, in Queens Arms, main in The Plougman, and pudding in the , The Black Swan, saving £60 for a couple.

If a meal and soft drink totals £12, the discount is only 50% therefore just £6 off leaving a balance of £6 to pay not £2 as hutch suggests

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The Prof and Parksy are correct myself and my pub landlady have got it wrong, its a 50% dicount off the bill.

It's still a good deal, a £20 meal for £10.

Now, if you buy a main meal, settle the bill. Then decide to have a cheese and biscuits for say £7 will you get £3. 50 discount offthe second bill.
It's a separate transaction.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts