Eccotemp water pump wiring HELP 😀

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I have bought an eccotemp cel 5 water heater and an eccotemp water pump to draw water from any source. I tried texting the water flow at home. I ran a hose from water in the bath, and had the pump with crocodile clamps, clamped onto o rings of a cigarette lighter , it was rated 16 awg about 1.5 m the pump is for 12 volt, 3.5 amp draw. In the instructions for wiring it says to use either 12 gauge wire at 50inch from power source or 14 gauge wire at 20 inches from power source. This setup did work and powered from all powers generator 12 volt cigarette socket but then stopped, the pump for a few moments had continued although the hose had come out of the water. On checking the cigarette cable the 15 amp fuse inside it had blown,. Any advice, I'm hoping the new cable coming us the correct gauge and length to provide adequate resistance? Or did running the pump without water cause it to draw more? I really want to get this portable shower up and running for this weekend. I've also struggled to find 12 volt cables and although I have soldering equipment I'm not that confident in using it. Thoughts please 😀

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What Car ? Whats the max output on your cigar lighter? You were using a Heath Robinson connection. Hardly surprising it blew up.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What Car ? Whats the max output on your cigar lighter?

From what has been posted it is not from a car, it is from some kind of power pack being sold as "Power generator", which is basically a battery pack from what I have managed to find.

The heater certainly cannot be used inside any enclosure like a caravan due to there being no method of flueing to outside.

It is mainly marketed as a unit to supply hot water for washing horses etc and uses LPG as its fuel source.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What Car ? Whats the max output on your cigar lighter? You were using a Heath Robinson connection. Hardly surprising it blew up.
As I read the OP, Heath Robinson were the very words that came to my mind as well, then I discovered you had beaten me to it.

It certainly is not approved for use inside UK caravans for reasons of safety.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The advert I saw for this device only needs battery supply for ignition, normally supplied by 2 "D" cell batteries.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to clarify what the system is, the heater itself is a self contained unit which has its own D cell batteries for the ignition of the LPG.

The next part is the water pump and that requires a 12v supply, in this case from a unit called an "All Powers Generator", which is not a generator as such, it is a battery pack which has various power outlets, including a cigarette lighter type socket.

The OP says they used crocodile clips to connect the pump to the power pack using the cigarette type socket, so at at rough guess the croc clips have touched and blown the fuse.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts