elddis advantage 630 tripping

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
hi i am new still Fairley new to caravanning and i was away for first time this year and come across a couple of problems, hot and cold water pipes leaking on kitchen and sink and drain blocked for kitchen anyway, i found it was the push fit connectors that need replacing and have done that and unblocked the pipes by undoing sections under the van, so do this think jobs a gooden and done, so i plug my van into the mains to test everything to find it tripped the electric (never happened before) so process of elimination i never had much time before i had to start for work. firstly it tripped the house after turning breaker back on in house the caravan main break went, so i turned all of the breakers off, and turned main breaker on followed by the first and the van started charging clicked the next one on and breaker went of in the house again, i should add i hvae had caravan plugged into house with no issues previous, so anyways before they broke sink tab went on and leaked down the back of this picture wire seem dry though?
any advice is appreciated

thanks anth
image0[943].jpeg

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When you started from having all MCB's off and then switched the first one on, and the mains stayed on, did you then switch that one off before switching the second one on?
What did the first one control? What did the second one control?

The microswitches only control the positive of the 12v supply.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
No I never I left it on and the Then stwitched second, 1st is charger and something else I cannot remember and second is PowerPoints I will 100% check it hats wrote on them tomorrow

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum I don't know the layout of your caravan but socket for the fridge may of got wet due to the water leak I think that would be a good starting point

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum I don't know the layout of your caravan but socket for the fridge may of got wet due to the water leak I think that would be a good starting point
Ahh yes the fridge is right beside the my sink, how should I rule it out by just pulling fridge out ?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Figured it out process of elimination it was the electric heater for the water that was tripping it, just for any future reference

Not unusual, the water heater is the all too common problem.
Probably caused by having the water heater switched on with no water in it.
There is a thermal cutout but it only has a limited life, that is,it will only work a couple of times before it fails to cut out causing the element to burn out.

Always make sure the water heater is full of water before switching it on.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello penfold,
Don't know where your problem lies but say your problem is on the ac side ie, mains .The circuit breakers all protect the mains,the dc circuits are protected by fuses.
You don't say what circuit breakers operated but i suspect you have an overcurrent problem on the circuit protected by the second circuit breaker,so check that circuit out (visual inspection) first.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello penfold,
Don't know where your problem lies but say your problem is on the ac side ie, mains .The circuit breakers all protect the mains,the dc circuits are protected by fuses.
You don't say what circuit breakers operated but i suspect you have an overcurrent problem on the circuit protected by the second circuit breaker,so check that circuit out (visual inspection) first.

I think you have missed the conclusion, the fault is with the water heater !
It pays to read the whole topic first.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
To the OP, when you say tripping do you mean the MCB (i.e. electronic fuse switch) is going off or is it the RCD - the protection device with a test button that also acts as the master mains switch in the caravan? When the house trips, again is it an MCB or the RCD that is going? I would suspect the answer is RCD both times?
If it is the RCD then you have a leakage of electricity to earth which could well happen if there is an insulation failure on the water heater mains element. Equally, what setting is the water heater on when it fails - is it at low power or full bore on the mains setting - if it has such a setting? Most water heaters that do nothing else (i.e. there caravan does not have radiator heating) usually only draw 450W or 850W which should not trip an MCB.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Not unusual, the water heater is the all too common problem.
Probably caused by having the water heater switched on with no water in it.
There is a thermal cutout but it only has a limited life, that is,it will only work a couple of times before it fails to cut out causing the element to burn out.

Always make sure the water heater is full of water before switching it on.
You got it dead on that was my mistake but at least I have found the problem and still have gas to heat water I’ll sauce a new element (assuming I just need to replace) at some point thanks for the reply’s

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts