Absolutely gutted 😒
Anyone else in the queue?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ordered new Elddis Chatsworth 550 in February was told late May for handover
Just been informed Aug Sept new date
Absolutely gutted 😒
It’s been reported similarly before on the Forum and not just Eldiss. It’s unfortunate but companies are having difficulty sourcing some parts and I think it might be related to shortage of computer chips, used in so many things in the van.

Reactions: Marko6464
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's not just chips, there are shortages of several different materials, which are affecting all sorts of products. COVID is certainly one cause, but there are still effects from the blockage in the Suez canal, as supply ships are now out of sequence, and of course the invasion of the Ukraine has had its effects by reducing the supplies of some materials, but also it's increasing transit times for some products that might normally pass through Ukraine, or Russian controlled channels.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's not just chips, there are shortages of several different materials, which are affecting all sorts of products. COVID is certainly one cause, but there are still effects from the blockage in the Suez canal, as supply ships are now out of sequence, and of course the invasion of the Ukraine has had its effects by reducing the supplies of some materials, but also it's increasing transit times for some products that might normally pass through Ukraine, or Russian controlled channels.
Recognising the Suez, chip, material and covid issues there were delays to the delivery of new caravans prior to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. That despicable act has no doubt exacerbated what was a problem for much longer. As well as delays to delivery one post referred also to a possible significant price increase on the delayed caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s been reported similarly before on the Forum and not just Eldiss. It’s unfortunate but companies are having difficulty sourcing some parts and I think it might be related to shortage of computer chips, used in so many things in the van.
Our Elddis caravan although usable has been at the dealer since 27th February 2022 for a damp issue. It took Elddis nearly a month to approved the work which is a small section less than 1sqm around the front offside locker.
At that point they told us that they were waiting for spares and no idea when the spares would arrive! Dealer cannot do the work without the spares so cannot blame the dealer. Snookered!
Concern here is that we have booked to go away just before Easter. If we travel to collect the caravan, use it for Easter, take it back to the dealer and then travel again to collect to bring back to storage, we will be about Β£30-Β£40 out of pocket plus the additional mileage and wear and tear although the latter are inconsequential.
I guess another option is to go down in the next week, collect it to use until the parts are available and then take the caravan back to the dealer to complete the work as it seems unlikely that parts will arrive before Easter.
Not sure which option is best due to unknown date of delivery of spares.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our Elddis caravan although usable has been at the dealer since 27th February 2002 for a damp issue. It took Elddis nearly a month to approved the work which is a small section less than 1sqm around the front offside locker.
At that point they told us that they were waiting for spares and no idea when the spares would arrive! Dealer cannot do the work without the spares so cannot blame the dealer. Snookered!
Concern here is that we have booked to go away just before Easter. If we travel to collect the caravan, use it for Easter, take it back to the dealer and then travel again to collect to bring back to storage, we will be about Β£30-Β£40 out of pocket plus the additional mileage and wear and tear although the latter are inconsequential.
I guess another option is to go down in the next week, collect it to use until the parts are available and then take the caravan back to the dealer to complete the work as it seems unlikely that parts will arrive before Easter.
Not sure which option is best due to unknown date of delivery of spares.
I think I would opt to continue to use it as it’s unlikely to get worse whether used or static. The only advantage of leaving it at the dealer is it acts as a permanent reminder of the work required. Whether that’s much of a motivation I don’t know.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think I would opt to continue to use it as it’s unlikely to get worse whether used or static. The only advantage of leaving it at the dealer is it acts as a permanent reminder of the work required. Whether that’s much of a motivation I don’t know.

Thanks and think it will be a wise move as we could have used the caravan at present with the lovely weather.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that parts delays are rife everywhere these days and I believe Eldiss have lots of models completed except for a few bits and are therefore unable to release them yet. Possibly covid is adding to the problem as it has hit many firms.
I do not think there is any deliberate delay as all these delayed orders must be hitting their cash flow so they will be desperate to get them out. At least they are keeping you updated but but possibly little consolation.
Not sure what is needed for the guarantee claim but if there is no sign of the bit then possibly take it out of the dealers. I doubt its presence there will make any difference as with the shortage of second hand stock they presumably have no need for the room.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
If it's jus tthe battery box I'm surprised your dealer kept your van; ours is the nearside locker door leaking and we've got hols booked so the dealer simply gave us a roll of gaffer tape and taped it up for us; spare roll for when we need to open it!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If it's jus tthe battery box I'm surprised your dealer kept your van; ours is the nearside locker door leaking and we've got hols booked so the dealer simply gave us a roll of gaffer tape and taped it up for us; spare roll for when we need to open it!

The floor area between the battery box and the boiler has 40% damp. I had already sealed the cracked mastic doing a temporary job. Apparently when removing the battery box there is a good chance that it will break. Not sure why.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The floor area between the battery box and the boiler has 40% damp. I had already sealed the cracked mastic doing a temporary job. Apparently when removing the battery box there is a good chance that it will break. Not sure why.
Maybe they are using a crowbar.

Apr 23, 2022
Visit site
We ordered early Sept 2021 for April 22, was then told May, Erwin Hymer told us at the NEC in feb it would be June/July - had a call a few weeks ago to say it would be Aug/Sept.

can’t see it arriving this year to be quite honest.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We ordered early Sept 2021 for April 22, was then told May, Erwin Hymer told us at the NEC in feb it would be June/July - had a call a few weeks ago to say it would be Aug/Sept.

can’t see it arriving this year to be quite honest.

I think I would have asked for my deposit back as Elddis have been delivering caravans for orders placed last year. Sept is when the new 2023 start manufacture.
Maybe contact Elddis and politely ask then when the order was placed by the dealer. Maybe the dealer did not place the order until recently as that delay is excessive.

Reactions: Notmyvan
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmmm, as we have seen in another recent thread cancelling an order for an as yet not started caravan can still have financial consequences. If you do want to cancel check the T&C's of your order.....

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hmmm, as we have seen in another recent thread cancelling an order for an as yet not started caravan can still have financial consequences. If you do want to cancel check the T&C's of your order.....
We don't know the facts yet on the other thread.

Apr 23, 2022
Visit site
I think I would have asked for my deposit back as Elddis have been delivering caravans for orders placed last year. Sept is when the new 2023 start manufacture.
Maybe contact Elddis and politely ask then when the order was placed by the dealer. Maybe the dealer did not place the order until recently as that delay is excessive.

not the dealers fault, spoken to lots of people in the Facebook group in the same situation.

Dealer has offered my deposit back, I’m sure they would LOVE me to take my deposit back as prices have gone up several thousand since the order was placed. Not sure how it would benefit me though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
not the dealers fault, spoken to lots of people in the Facebook group in the same situation.

Dealer has offered my deposit back, I’m sure they would LOVE me to take my deposit back as prices have gone up several thousand since the order was placed. Not sure how it would benefit me though.
Then you have a good dealer providing they placed the order at the time you paid the deposit. :D

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Again do check your T&C's becasue there might be sme clause about price rises occurring between order and completion.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the dealer is looking at the price rise in offering your deposit back so if you want the caravan and the price you agreed is fixed then you should hang on. The problem seems to be down to specific parts not being available which can mean some models that do not need them can be released, and explains why this situation exists.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think the dealer is looking at the price rise in offering your deposit back so if you want the caravan and the price you agreed is fixed then you should hang on. The problem seems to be down to specific parts not being available which can mean some models that do not need them can be released, and explains why this situation exists.
That may be true however in our case it took 4 weeks for repairs to eb authorised and 2 weeks for the spares to arrive at the dealership? Seems spares are available, but not parts for the caravan.
In hindsight which is marvellous I may have been wrong suggesting getting back the deposit as the dealer is committed to supplying the caravan at the agreed price providing that they actually did place the order in time.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Two weeks for the spares to arrive is very good for the industry, although not impressive otherwise. never had any make supply them that quickly.
If you have a fixed price for the new model I would wait as any alternative is likely to cost more and there is a wait for almost any model.

Jun 14, 2022
Visit site
Ordered new Elddis Chatsworth 550 in February was told late May for handover
Just been informed Aug Sept new date
Absolutely gutted 😒
Yes my chatsworth 454 been on Order since October 21. Now being told late October 22. No ideas from Glossop as to exact reasons ?..why

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts