Elddis Roof Leaks

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
My 2017 Elddis Chatsworth 840 has developed a catastrophic leak in the roof and Elddis are denying responsibility due to lapsed warranty, has anyone else had this issue? The ceiling is completely discoloured and all seating has been stained.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My 2017 Elddis Chatsworth 840 has developed a catastrophic leak in the roof and Elddis are denying responsibility due to lapsed warranty, has anyone else had this issue? The ceiling is completely discoloured and all seating has been stained.
Why was the warranty lapsed was there a previous owner? Did you buy it private or dealer? If dealer your best way is to approach the dealer as that is who your contract is with. Start to look at Citizens Advice to see what your rights are under the CRA 2015 consumer legislation. Also if you paid any amount by credit card (above£100) then you may have protection under Section 75 regulations. Do your research objectively to decide your best course of action.

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your response Clive, I purchased it new from, but they have said that the warranty is lapsed due to non-service. The damage happened in July/August and the service was due in August. The repairer stated that it wasn't worth servicing as it is a complete rebuild. Now, Elddis are stating that it is out of warranty. I have spent 6 months chasing them, and their customer service is shocking

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
I paid in full (debit card) for it, so I don't have the ability to claim under section 75. Citizens advice stated that I had to give Elddis the opportunity to repair it, but it seems to be an inherent fault with the model. I seemed to have reached an impasse with them

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
Did you have the van serviced within the time scales of the warranty?
When did the damage happen, July or August?
Hi Damian,

The damage happened whilst we were away in July & August, and it was due a service in August when we returned. Other than that, all services were completed on time.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you failed to have the caravan serviced within the terms of the guarantee I am afraid that Eldiss can turn down the claim because of this.
The lack of servicing would not save the dealer under the CPA if you can show that this was a defect existing at the date you took delivery. You will need an expert report to show this though although if you can find evidence of a number of these caravans having this specific problem then this might also work. You would have to show a trend though. I would search other forums as well as this one to see what you can find, although I am not aware or any reports, of this.

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
If you failed to have the caravan serviced within the terms of the guarantee I am afraid that Eldiss can turn down the claim because of this.
The lack of servicing would not save the dealer under the CPA if you can show that this was a defect existing at the date you took delivery. You will need an expert report to show this though although if you can find evidence of a number of these caravans having this specific problem then this might also work. You would have to show a trend though. I would search other forums as well as this one to see what you can find, although I am not aware or any reports, of this.
Thanks for your message Raywood.
The caravan had been serviced in line with recommendations by Elddis when the problem occurred, and the dealer stated that it wasn’t needed to keep it serviced as the problem had already occurred during the warranty period. Unfortunately, they have now been taken over and there are no records of this.
I just feel that this is an inherrent problem, as my brother-in-law had the same issue with his one and it got returned as he had finance on his one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andy,

I am sorry to read of the the difficulties you are having with your caravan.

Just a note of etiquette. If you are in dispute with a business, you should follow through their complaints procedures completely and not publicise their name on the forum.

Also bear in mind that we only have your perspective on the problem, and the business may not want to debate the subject in public.

I'm sure the forum moderators will be watching carefully.

Perhaps I have missed some nuances of the situation, but from your postings so far I glean the following time line of events.

1. You purchased the caravan brand new in 2017 from a dealer and paid in full without finance.
  2. You have had it serviced once in 2018 in accordance with the manufacturers guarantee requirements.
  3. The problem occurred in "whilst we were away in July & August". And I have to assume you are referring to late summer 2019.
  4. The damage was assessed (I assume in August after your return) and the assessor declared the caravan needed a rebuild, and that the "dealer" told you it wasn't necessary to have the August service carried out.
  5. You tell "they were advised before the service was due" (but you don't say by whom and to whom)
  6. You tell us that both the dealer and the manufacturer are now saying the caravan is out of warranty becasue it has not been serviced in August 2019,
  7. You also tell us the "dealer" has "now been taken over and there are no records of this."

Unfortunately there are some holes in the information which concern me.

Firstly, you don't tell us if you had the caravan serviced by an accredited dealer.

Secondly, was the repairer that assessed the damage an accredited dealer? was it the dealer that sold you the caravan?

How do you know the problem reported and to whom. I'm pretty sure any reputable dealer would have provided you with written report on the damage (and an invoice for the inspection) and a written confirmation that they had reported the problem to the manufacturer.

I am also concerned that a business that has been "taken over" has managed to loose all its customer work records.

You need to find any persons whom may have witnessed any of the proceedings to provide an affidavit describing what they witnessed, and you might have a chance of persuading both the dealer and the manufacturer of your version of the events. Failing persuasion, you might need to consider action under the CRA against the dealer for goods that have not had an adequate life expectancy.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a note of etiquette. If you are in dispute with a business, you should follow through their complaints procedures completely and not publicise their name on the forum.

Also bear in mind that we only have your perspective on the problem, and the business may not want to debate the subject in public.

I'm sure the forum moderators will be watching carefully.

Nothing I have seen is in contravention of Forum Rules.
Please do NOT try and tell people what we, as Moderators, will or will not be doing !!!!! We are more than capable of doing that ourselves .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reading through the whole topic raises several questions:

First is the very vague " The damage happened in July/August" exactly what damage ? how did this "damage" happen?

Next is " The repairer stated that it wasn't worth servicing as it is a complete rebuild".

If it was due its service then that should have been done, regardless of the damage, which would have kept the warranty valid, the damage being noted and reported to the maker if the repair was beyond the dealers capability.

Next is " and the dealer stated that it wasn’t needed to keep it serviced as the problem had already occurred during the warranty period. "

The warranty was still in play and by not having the service that invalidated the warranty. All claims for warranty repairs MUST be made within the warranty period, if your problem was not even reported to the maker, then the dealer is fully responsible , but as you say he is no longer in business, that avenue is a dead duck.

Lastly, without knowing every detail of the issue and how said damage happened, or the events leading up to knowing there was a problem, and as the van failed to have its service done, the maker is quite within his rights as per the terms and conditions to refuse any action.
To say " , but it seems to be an inherent fault with the model" is something which you would need to prove and it is pushing the envelope to suggest that an inherent fault should suddenly appear after 3 years or thereabouts.
What is your source of information that there is an inherent fault?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Eldiss Chatsworth is a special and the dealer is still in business. I think the reference to a repairer is some other business who have worked on the caravan. On that basis the claim against the dealer would still stand, although if the caravan was not serviced on time that may have caused additional damage resulting in a dispute as to what the cost would have been if it had been serviced and the fault found then.
Given the cost of this when purchased I would hope that some finance was used and that a claim there is also valid. If the dealer is pursued and have to pay, you would hope Eldiss will support them.
I think an expert opinion is needed as to the cause and age of the problem plus the cost of any repair.

Post edited to remove dealers name as per Forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS