Electric Caravans , a reality!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On various EV discussions I and one or two others suggested fitting batteries and motors to our caravans to extend the EV mileage. Amazingly Al-ko have done just that. Their next generation trailer platform has a 48v motor and batteries incorporating a self generating recharge system on braking , coasting etc.
How the tide turns๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The idea's not new, and I do know it was looked at by a UK company in the late 1990's but at the time it was a non starter for a host of technical reasons which included legislative block on powered trailers. That not say such things can't be changed.

But we have virtually no information about how heavy unit will be, what amount of power and range it can add, and how much it will cost?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I would be surprised if Al- ko donโ€™t have answers Prof. You know as well as anyone R& D is not cheap so these days some return on the investment will be expected.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wonder whether we will be moving to a hybrid type caravan where the power unit will be electric, and once on site the caravan body will be removeable and sited on the pitch with the electric power unit used as vehicle, similar to the way shipping containers are moved around.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
On various EV discussions I and one or two others suggested fitting batteries and motors to our caravans to extend the EV mileage. Amazingly Al-ko have done just that. Their next generation trailer platform has a 48v motor and batteries incorporating a self generating recharge system on braking , coasting etc.
How the tide turns๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
How does the trailor know it's coasting and not being towed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How does the trailor know it's coasting and not being towed.

Technically that isn't very difficult to achieve. sensors in the cold determine if the hitch is in tension (Being towed) being compressed ( slowing or braking) or with no force differential ( coasting) Electric bicycles have to have a torque sensor in the chain drive so the motor only assists when the cyclist is peddling.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts