Electric corner steadies

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a kronings mover but I see they do electric corner steadies which bolt on to the existing steadies.
I know the old jokes about a screwdriver is cheaper but I think this is a great idea, and can appratnely be used from my same handset.
Does anybody have any experience of these things??
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
It is a lot of extra weight especially if you already have a motor mover fitted. A battery drill is a lot cheaper and more versatile.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some people have disabilities or old age creeping on and winding the handle is not easy and even bending down with a cordless drill can be difficult if arthritis etc prevails
Make the most of your easy winding you could grow out of it
smiley-laughing.gif

Good luck with finding an answer

There's a thread here and interestingly the last link is to a company on the same site as Powrwheel and Truma

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/58776-electric-corner-steadies/page__p__615796__hl__electric%20corner%20steadies__fromsearch__1#entry615796

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LOL
And it could influence your wealth
smiley-laughing.gif

But just as movers enable older and infirm people to continue caravanning for many extra years so too could electric corner steadies
I look after my sister in law's finances as she has dementia and is in a retiremnet home
Its costing £1880 a month of her savings until she gets down to about £25000 so a philosophy is spend it now and then there will be less for them to take when you are parked in a retiremnet home or as someone said recently warehoused
smiley-frown.gif

Now where is the order form and the car brochure to get something that will pull the caravan with all the added weight?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Throught the history of camping and caravanning, new developments have come to light, and whilst at first some die hards may feel the use of such equipment is a cop out from the spirit of the hobby, but just becasue someone feels its a cop out does not make it wrong for others. It a persoanal choice what equiepment you choose to use.
As we get older we al tend to become less able at doing some things, so as someone has already pointed out, if a new gadget allows a person with an impairment to continue without becoming more reliant on others, then provided they can afford it then why not?
Camping and caravanning is an occupation usually carried out in peoples leisure and holiday time. Such time is valuable and it is a real shame if anyone hurts themselves when the injury could have been avoided.
The woosies are those who shun new developments in an effort to show how hardy they are, or perhaps that shold be 'foolhardy'
Who says you have to a hardened nut to camp or caravan? - only a woosie!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof John said:
The woosies are those who shun new developments in an effort to show how hardy they are, or perhaps that shold be 'foolhardy'
Well I may be a Woosie but I never saw myself as "hardman". Must bring some Knucle Dusters to Stowfolot for the Tournament.
smiley-laughing.gif

Seriously I am so surprised no manufacturer or designer has come up with rear steadies that are easy to reach. Even the Wyomings are a fair way underneath the body. I have to kneel down just to see where they are. Ok, I do have a 12" extension to my cordless but I stiil need to see where the bolt is.
In engineering terms surely it cannot be that difficult to make them more accessible???

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
In engineering terms surely it cannot be that difficult to make them more accessible???

Followed a van once with a length of household waste pipe attatched directly in line on each corner steady, assume it went over the nut and was used as a guide for the winder/drill attatchment, cheap way to make a Woosie's life a bit easier
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty,
Just make sure the Knucle Dusters are CE marked and you do a full risk assessmsnt before putting then on. After all we dont want you hurting your self!
smiley-cry.gif

I do recall that at least one manufacture used to fit steadies that you accessed from the side of the caravan, there were two holes in the lowest portion of the side wall just where the nuts were. But there are probably two reasons why they dont do that now.
I cant remeber which manufacture it was, and it was on a pretty old caravan, but the steadies were only bolted to the floor. not the chassis as now. The floor was probably much stronger and certainly not as well insulated.
The second reason, is that many people like to store their caravan in narrow gaps, and ther would be insuficient space to use the winding handle when it sticks out to the sides.
We built and used a camping trailer, (a Mirror newspapers Barry Bucnkel special) and it had steadies that were accessed from inside the trailer. They were just a square section tube with a turn buckle screw lock. Obviously not suitabel for a heavy caravan, but it could be possible for the screw adjustment to be located inside the corners of a caravan, and to act vetically. though this might compromise some internal space or feature

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "but the steadies were only bolted to the floor. not the chassis as now. The floor was probably much stronger and certainly not as well insulated"

They still are bolted to the underfloor !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Dustydog said:

Followed a van once with a length of household waste pipe attatched directly in line on each corner steady, assume it went over the nut and was used as a guide for the winder/drill attatchment, cheap way to make a Woosie's life a bit easier
smiley-smile.gif
That could have been me you were following

steadywinder004-1.jpg

I don't need the extensions now as the Swift Challenger has the heavy duty steadies that are easier to reach as they hinge the opposite way

[EXT]-Conqueror-565-Rear-[SWIFT].jpg

Alko do this kit

http://shop.al-ko.co.uk/products/comfort-kit.html

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks John,
As ever a mine of good information.
I am tempted to buy the Al-Ko kit but just to be awkward I can't see how I could continue to use the steady locks.
No pleasing us Woosies
smiley-laughing.gif

Ah well back to the knee pads
smiley-cool.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Hello Dusty,
Just make sure the Knucle Dusters are CE marked and you do a full risk assessmsnt before putting then on. After all we dont want you hurting your self!
smiley-cry.gif
Can we assume that CE stands for China Export?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote "but the steadies were only bolted to the floor. not the chassis as now. The floor was probably much stronger and certainly not as well insulated"

They still are bolted to the underfloor !
That's right.
The older caravan steadies were sometimes welded to the frame, but my last two only the floor.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
yes got the mover on ?kgs got the self level steadys on ?kgs got got the caravan levaling system on ?kgs that means the kids have to stay at home and we have no clothes and the awning is to be posted as we are on the limit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts