Electrical problems

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi there first post, so hope this is ok.

i have an 2005 Elddis Crusader storm. Not my first caravan, but still only a few years experience.

we recently bought this and all was fine when checking it over, hot water, heating worked all good. however since going out in it i have had not end of problems getting things to work.

Going to check the PCB for heating, fire makes a noise but doesnt put out any heat, Hot Water light comes on the board, but for some reason can only get water from onboard tank and not the heater, bit stuck with that one. i seem to have a lot of switches that have been put in after caravan left factory.

my main concern and something i havent encountered before. the Electrics act "Weird" for want of a better word. im on a 16amp site, so good there, say, if i have the TV on, the lights or water running out of tap, something else will switch off, normally the radio. The electric doesnt trip out, just one of the items will stop working, if i switch off an item, the other item turns back on. Every electrical item tha comes on too will dim the lights ever so slightly for each electrical item.

Doesnt seem to be anything power hungry and mainly happened during the summer when the heating was not needed. Used it last week with a 2000 watt heater and it worked fine with TV running, but had to have lights off.

any ideas?

thank you
Stuart

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Obviously one of the major concerns with electrical problems is safety, and if you think there have been modifications to electrics, and it no longer conforms to the original specification, it's highly unlikely anyone on the forum can offer safe solutions.

You need have it checked out in person by a competent caravan electrician who can work out what's what, disconnect or make everything safe.

Sadly if you need to ask, it probably means you don't have the necessary knowledge to fault find or work safely.

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
An no obviously wouldn’t attempt anything complicated. I was hoping someone had similar problems, didn’t know if it was as simple as blown fuse or something like that that I could do it myself

Reactions: Hutch
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
It looks as if we are talking the 12V side of the operation here, and as though you have an earthing (i.e. negative wiring) fault. In most caravans the 12V-ve is usually white so I would go looking for a loose screw in a connector block and/or the negative connection (both cable and clamp) for being loose or corroded.

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
It looks as if we are talking the 12V side of the operation here, and as though you have an earthing (i.e. negative wiring) fault. In most caravans the 12V-ve is usually white so I would go looking for a loose screw in a connector block and/or the negative connection (both cable and clamp) for being loose or corroded.
Thank you will look next time I’m down 👍🏻

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sadly if you need to ask, it probably means you don't have the necessary knowledge to fault find or work safely.

A valid point, but most people who come on here and ask questions are hoping that it is a simple fix and it is also one of the reasons why we have a forum for people asking questions. After all no one wants to pay someone big bucks for doing something very simple.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi Stuart
Welcome to the forum
Looking at your first post it would appear that you have a problem with the 12v side of your electrical system, have you checked the battery voltage without ehu, it seems to me that either your battery as had it or the battery fuse may have gone.
Hope this helps
Gra

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi Stuart
Welcome to the forum
Looking at your first post it would appear that you have a problem with the 12v side of your electrical system, have you checked the battery voltage without ehu, it seems to me that either your battery as had it or the battery fuse may have gone.
Hope this helps
Gra
Thank you will check them out, would you know are caravan fuses similar to car fuses or am I better going to my local caravan accessories shop?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you will check them out, would you know are caravan fuses similar to car fuses or am I better going to my local caravan accessories shop?
Some are and some aren’t the same as car fuses. But even the latter have variations between cars. Best to eye ball the ones you need.

Reactions: Gralay
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Before digging around for the battery fuse check battery voltage and charge if necessary or put a known good battery on.
Gra
Going back to basics, check the battery, and then the clamps are clean and tight, especially at the main fuse, after that maybe looking into the distribution box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts